Hello Ukso, right time to start a thread for my latest Starlet, I bought a ep82 3 years ago and have had the bug ever since. Here is a pic of my old Gt for any newer members and others who may not of seen it.
P5040160_zpsef02b2f1.jpg
It was nothing special but I loved it. sadly I had to break it for parts to fund a first home purchase and set about looking for a cheap runabout until I got back on my feet, naturally a Starlet was the obvious choice and this clean Solida came up locally so I snapped it up
P1150129_zpsc19f1bbf.jpg
They are a great daily and very reliable but to be honest I got bored of n/a Starlet power very quickly and fancied a change. Picked up this rev 4 Mr2 up next
P7150224_zpsb9466bsw.jpg
again excellent Toyota reliability but with no turbo it soon had me itching for another ep82, so I started searching the net for a tidy example, went to view a black mk2 that was in my price range and it completely put me off buying another from the UK. It was crudely modified and had seen too many years on our roads. After a lot of research I thought the best option would be to import one from Japan, I was waking up and going straight on tradecarview, goonet exchange etc to find something clean and within budget, In the end this 96 spec Glanza V came up for cheap and I though why not.
Here are a couple of pics from the add in Japan.
1dcf9df1-501a-4a89-a5bf-97499fdde008_zps
Glanza%20V%203_zps0gz3op8y.jpg
Glanza%20V%202_zpsyqoclyxo.jpg
I was given a lot more photos and a very in depth description via email from the seller, and we agreed a price of £1030 for it( exc shipping and fees) Waiting for the car to arrive was awful lol, tracking the ship online, watching it sat in ports for days on end was very annoying but about 9 weeks after the initial transaction I got a call from the agent in Southampton to say it was here and I could collect it:D
When we got to the docks to pick it up I was gutted tbh, I dont know what had happened but it looks to of been parked with the drivers side in very hot sun and paint has peeled away in places. Didn't even bother getting a pic on the back of the car carrier and the ones I took when I got home were quite negative as you can see lol.
P4180315_zpsptp0rjja.jpg

P4180302_zpsd8yxw5ac.jpg
P4180306_zpslhmpdreb.jpg
P4180305_zpsh166m6vv.jpg
P4180303_zpsbhsi8gs2.jpg
P4180307_zpstginsvya.jpg
I was only pissed off because the seller had insisted the exterior was very good condition, but at the end of the day it was very cheap and once it's resprayed it will be good as new. The interior and underneath however are very clean and its a good, solid base to start with.
P4180311_zpswpisbimb.jpg
P4180310_zpsvery3ve1.jpg
P4180308_zps6uxffflc.jpg
So here we go, I've bought and fitted a few bits already, for start I wanna get as much shite out of the bay as possible, first things to go were the air con system and stock air filter setup.
P6030318_zps77j4bdma.jpg
P6030319_zpsv0gbfzhp.jpg
P6030317_zps11ssbavy.jpg
Picked up 98 spec tail lights and indicators, look heaps better imo
P6030321_zpsva430oqs.jpg
P6030320_zpsfzdmbgyh.jpg
mocked up the Toms c3r' that I kept from my Gt.
P4180314_zps1pdd614t.jpg
Here she is in her new home, a garage was the most important thing for me when we bought our first home,left all other decisions to the mrs ha.
P6300331_zps8g10nenc.jpg
That's all for now, sorry if it's a bit vague, I have never been much good at story writing :thumbsup: .If anyone is confused with the thread title 1470, its with regards to the chassis number of the car, couldn't think of a new title and it will be changed eventually ha.
Cheers for reading and any comments are welcome.

James

Edited by JamesD89

good base to start on shame about the paint work but like you said it was a cheap car and can be repainted. love the wheels would love a set of toms for my glanza one day. How much did it cost you landed if you dont mind me asking. look forward to see where you go with this. :)

good base to start on shame about the paint work but like you said it was a cheap car and can be repainted. love the wheels would love a set of toms for my glanza one day. How much did it cost you landed if you dont mind me asking. look forward to see where you go with this. :)

I have since landed another set of wheels so these may go up for sale somewhere down the line unsure yet, of course altogether it costed £2270 including the customs fees etc and then £55 registration and 6 months tax, defo worth doing imo even with the state of the paint the underside is fresh. Cheers mate :)

Edited by JamesD89

While I was waiting for the registration to come back I ordered some braided lines from TD, brakes, clutch and abs removal. Me and a mate fitted the brake lines first, had to take the rears back off until I can find something to secure them in place as they just flapped around in the bracket which I feel is poor. Front ones on

P6030323_zpsnbqn4i8c.jpg

P6030324_zpscheiobrf.jpg

Then the ABS stuff had to go, takes up way too much space in the bay and looks poor imo.

P6300327_zpsoumgzlem.jpg

Much better, unfortunately had a few problems with the HEL abs removal kit, one of the lines was way off and would not sit straight in the master cylinder, I sent the one dodgy line off to Mike@TD and fair play he sent me a full kit back quickly, refitted the line and now cannot stop it leaking from the fitting and the t piece :sad: I was lazy and clipped a few of the stock lines when removing so now I cannot refit to drive around in the meantime, going to try some ptfe tape on the fitting as a last resort if not I will go to the scrapyard and look for factory non abs lines. Then the 10mm fitting connecting the clutch flexi and hard line decided to round off and was impossible to get a grip of to release, so instead I used one of the spare braided lines to create a almost full braided clutch line.

P7070339_zps1qejudcv.jpg

Also grabbed a set of shoes for it off the bay, thanks to Marc Moss for the link :thumbsup:

As far as I can find out they are Kosei Seneka Racing with all centre caps still there, managed, plan is to sand them back and prep them myself to be professionally refurbed and sprayed in either gun metal or a light gold colour, any thoughts?

P7070338_zpszolm7etq.jpg

Already started rubbing this one down with a 120 grit pad.

P7070335_zpsvhhblwil.jpg

P7070337_zpsstzbmord.jpg

Test fit

P7010334_zpszj8xnrcv.jpg

Edited by JamesD89

Shame about the paint.

But for the money you got alot more than you'd get for that money here. Very jealous of your garage, i had to settle on a single :( same criteria though and missus chose the rest.

I prefer the toms wheels tbh!

Shame about the paint.

But for the money you got alot more than you'd get for that money here. Very jealous of your garage, i had to settle on a single :( same criteria though and missus chose the rest.

I prefer the toms wheels tbh!

Yeah I was not happy lol was a month before I went near the car after it got here, the downside of the garage is we live on a busy main road but I love it. just fancied a change from the Toms and haven't seen these rims on a Starlet before, time will tell :)

sweet another 4efte saved :) if she is going to look half as good as the gtt then she will be a minter in the future :)

Cheers Colin, it will never look as good as a silver Gt to me but hopefully I can sort it out :)

Kosei's look sweet as! That's such a good price well worth it even with the damage easy fix

I do like them and they look like they have great clearance for big brakes if shit ever gets serious.

Cheers

Looking good James you seem to be cracking on, how do you like the drive compared to the GT much difference?

Thanks I have not even put 10 kms on her yet tbh Joe, when I drove it to and from mot it I definitely noticed the shorter 3rd gear also it did not feel as light on its feet as the Gt, defo still a fun car to drive though.

James

Edited by JamesD89

Nice base James. And tbh that price imported is pretty damn good!

As for your abs delete kit, it's a pity you are having so much issues. I'd suggest using Loctite 542 hydraulic thread sealant. It should seal the leak alot better.

John

What's the mileage on this?, Looks very tidy underneath and the bay too.

That's a very good price landed,any chance you could brake down all costs that you had to pay? Did you take insurance on it to import?, did the agent in Southampton arrange everything for you or just to clear it at the docks to pick up?.

I've heard tradecarview have some hidden costs to pay and this has always put me off but in your case this seems not true.

Glad this finally landed! Looks to be a very good base, bodywork can be easilly fixed, aslong as the rest of the motor is sound then youre laughing.

Cheers Dan, yeah there are no noticeable dents or deep scratches so hoping the prep work for a respray won't be too costly. Famous last words lol

Nice base James. And tbh that price imported is pretty damn good!

As for your abs delete kit, it's a pity you are having so much issues. I'd suggest using Loctite 542 hydraulic thread sealant. It should seal the leak alot better.

John

Thanks mate, I still have my Gt shell so hoping I can pinch the stock pipework off there when I have time. Im not prepared to thread lock them tbh as the kit should fit as advertised.

Can get non abs lines

From Toyota still

Yeah this will be a last resort if ep82 lines are different, cheers for the info

What's the mileage on this?, Looks very tidy underneath and the bay too.

That's a very good price landed,any chance you could brake down all costs that you had to pay? Did you take insurance on it to import?, did the agent in Southampton arrange everything for you or just to clear it at the docks to pick up?.

I've heard tradecarview have some hidden costs to pay and this has always put me off but in your case this seems not true.

Its got 109 kms on it,Trade pay fees are free now mate, I believe there used to be charges for it. I've replied to your pm I will answer your questions there if you don't mind.

Cheers for all comments chaps

James

Same thing happened to me bud photos lied s bit on my glanza import the roof bonnet and wings had been baked in the sun, I also had trouble getting TDs abs removal kit to seal I ended up taking it all off and teightening up the lines in the t-sections off the car in a vice as I felt access wasn't great to teighten them up properly and it worked for me. Sorry for the novel and car looks a very solid base to begin with and a lot better and cheaper to import your own imo

i get my lines made by up custom by Hose Technix. Paid about £40 for full braided setup for my V and £10 to replace the line that leaked from my TD removal kit too. Personally the cost of them is outrageous. Just so much as its plug and play. Take lines to a hydraulics place and they'll be able to make them up far cheaper i reckon.

Shame about the paintwork but still a good price for what looks to be a 100% original example :thumbsup:

Thanks mate yours looks very smart, love the colour and wheels suit it perfectly.

Same thing happened to me bud photos lied s bit on my glanza import the roof bonnet and wings had been baked in the sun, I also had trouble getting TDs abs removal kit to seal I ended up taking it all off and teightening up the lines in the t-sections off the car in a vice as I felt access wasn't great to teighten them up properly and it worked for me. Sorry for the novel and car looks a very solid base to begin with and a lot better and cheaper to import your own imo

Think you had a better deal than me yours being 98 spec, respray looks awesome by the way, wish I knew a good sprayer as it's always a risk sending it somewhere local. There is defo a problem with the threads as even when some are in tight there is movement, got a vice here so will give that a try.

Cheers

i get my lines made by up custom by Hose Technix. Paid about £40 for full braided setup for my V and £10 to replace the line that leaked from my TD removal kit too. Personally the cost of them is outrageous. Just so much as its plug and play. Take lines to a hydraulics place and they'll be able to make them up far cheaper i reckon.

Are they local to you mate or did you have to send them off? that's very cheap I will give them a call if all else fails. Was you at Japday? was sure it was your Charade parked next to another? Had a good look around them fair play they are a real cool looking motor.

James