Josh's forged 5E Massive spec forged build! 370BHP!!

Hello everyone did not take long for me to get a Glanza back after breaking it in may this year, only lasted 3 months and have one back again.

So here is a new build thread :)

Here is a link to my old build thread if you want to see what I did to my old glanza, I did do miles more than what is listed on the old one, I forged it ect made 295bhp but sold it due to bad paint work.

Spec list when i got the car...
Cusco cage (dash avoided)
Harness bar
6 pot ksport calipers
Blitz nurspec exhaust
Rota wheels
Zilla bucket seats
BC racing coil overs
HEL abs delete kit
AEM wideband
Multiple gauges
Civic half rad
FPR
FMIC
Other bits and bobs ect..

Current full spec list:

Engine:

5EFE Block (Bored to 75mm)
5EFE Crank
5E Conversion Fly wheel
Wossner 75mm 8:0.1 Pistons
Max Speeding forged connecting rods
ACL Main bearings
ACL Conrod bearings
ACL Thrust Washers
ARP Headbolts
ARP Main studs
1.4mm Cometic MLS head gasket
Skimmed block 8thou
New OEM Crank seals
New OEM Oil pump
New OEM Knock sensor
New Oil pressure switch
New Water pump
New cam belt kit
5E sump drilled to suit turbo oil drain
Kinugawa 19mm sump oil drain
Magnetic sump plug
Polybushed engine mount

Cylinder head:
5E Cylinder head
5EFHE cams 1mm+ bigger intake lift than efe and efte cams 
TD Uprated valve springs
Gasket matched
Ported and smoothed Intake runners
Ported and smoothed exhaust runners
Ported and smoothed Valve bowls
Cut down valve guides inside intake runners
3 Angle valve job
11 new toyota shims for perfect clearances
Skimmed 8thou
New OEM valve stem seals
New Cam seals
New Injector tube seals
New rocker cover gasket
New Dizzy O ring
Vapor blasted surfaces
Smoothed rocker cover
AN10 Breather fittings

Turbo kit setup:
Kinugawa GTX2860R .60ar ceramic dual ball bearing turbo (powder coated red)
Tial .52 GTX series exhaust turbo housing
WEPR GTX series top mount manifold
WEPR 3" Vband down pipe
WEPR Screamer pipe
Genuine Tial external 38mm vband wastegate
Turbo blanket
Tial Vband clamps for turbo and down pipe

Ignition/fueling/electronics:
Link Storm X 2020 ECU
Link custom ECU harness to support stock plugs
Link Knock sensor
Racecal K20 coil loom
Honda K20 ignition coils
Electronic boost solenoid 
ID1050x Injectors
Iridium heat range 8 Spark plugs
Tuning Developments High flow fuel rail
SYTEC Fuel pressure regulator with braided AN6 fuel lines
Walbro 350lph fuel pump
WICKEDEP Racing intake manifold
Tuning Developments full 3inch custom exhaust
AEM Wideband gauge
AEM Oil gauge
Various control switches

Brakes/suspension/transmission:
Ksport 6pot calipers (front)
Ksport grooved disks (front)
Hel Braided front brake lines
ABS delete kit
Stock calipers on the rear
grooved disks (rears)
BC racing coilovers all round
C56 glanza gearbox with Quaife ATB LSD 

Interior:
EVO 9 Recaro seats
Suede style steering wheel
Quick release boss
98 spec rear interior

Exterior:
XXR 551 15' Alloy wheels
98 spec front bumper uncut
OEM optional extra front lip
Yellow JDM fogs
LIVESPORTS rear spoiler
JAM rear bumper
MID spoiler
Rear wiper arm delete
JDM REAR FOG LIGHT

Cooling/Engine bay/ misc:
Civic twin core alloy half rad
RW developments Oil catch can
Front mount Intercooler

Ok so work I have done so far...
Removed WEPR topmount TD04 kit sold for funds
Pre fitted the new top mount
Pulled the engine and sold the engine, already picked up a super low mileage 5e engine around 30k miles ready for forging.
Removed and sold rear bumper with OEM lip and got a jam bumper to replace it that it currently in paint.
Livesports spoiler in paint.
Started cleaning engine bay up.
oh and spent a shit ton of cash to fund the build as you can see in these images

Car when I got it

bNEMt3d.jpg

https://imgur.com/h7ZQeish7ZQeis.jpg

MSdH4gG.jpg

ovwiGqB.jpg

aPkEYld.jpg

Pre fitted the new top mount prior to engine been pulled.

Yc8nvWD.jpg

YdSmv9v.jpg

5E engine picked up for a good mate of mine phil lowery

d5fILh4.jpg

Rear bumper removed due to selling glanza bumper and rear lip needs a clean will get around to that before undersealing the rear bumper metal work.

DEjoSrD.jpg

After the engine was pulled I gave the bay a long good clean, still work to be done don't have a before photo but it was fully grafted and almost black before looks so much cleaner now , will be sanding and covering the looms up ect ready to paint and freshen up the bay ready for the forged lump to be put in.

4zGzc4U.jpg

vx46bS3.jpg

Here are some of the parts that I have started collecting in my room may have a problem haha...  engine should be in the machine shop in a week or 2.
I know this will more than likely be mentioned but don't diss the maxspeeding rods 😉 used them on my last build to 300bhp, they are rated to 225+bhp per cylinder im aiming for 400 so I can be a Guinee pig for the community and see if they cope with bigger BHP builds. Keep an eye out on updates!

4TwBPEy.jpg

Also got a RW developments oil catch can like on my old build love these things great presence in the engine bay!

ZHtgG4o.jpg

Future plans for the coming months...

1) In December I have booked my cylinder head to be fully ported and polished by Liam at LC porting cant wait for that.. after that head will be getting TD uprated valve springs which I have already purchased not going down the cam route yet unless a decent set pop up on one of the for sale pages.
2) Engine will be getting built by my local engine builders that built my engine last time (genesis engine's in hull) did a great job and no issues at all with the other forged build.
3) Once Ive done the long and boring 1500 miles run in and multiple oil changes I will be taking the car to fiske to get a standalone ECU fitted and have a coil on plug conversion done due to the dizzy maxing out around 360bhp usually.

Other than that in the mean time just going to buy other parts like injectors, LSD, high flow fuel rail, and anything else I fancy haha!

Don't see many people post on here anymore so enjoy a more frequent build thread to read when I get uploading on here.

Edited by wakeabby14
Updating info
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mental mate!

From what I hear about Max Speeding is that the QC is hit and miss. So if the engine builders just ensure they are all to tolerance... 🤞

Will be interesting to see how yours fairs up though. I am not sure I would be willing to risk it when you have spent so much on the rest. If the rods fail, I don't know how, then shrapnel could go into bores, pistons, heads and turbo.

But hey I have often been called voice of doom!

Looking forward to seeing this progress. As you say, it's quiet on here these days.

cheers mate looking forward to this one :)

Im pretty happy with the rods tbh, probs come from the same factory scat make their rods at.  Last time I used them the builders said the rods were balanced very well and the machining was very good. I hope they hold up well like the other ones did and can be an option for people on tighter budgets.  But I will 100% get them to check them over before they get put in!
It is scary stuff if it goes wrong and im not usually a risk taker however due to good performance and no issues with my last build im happy to use them again everyone has to build a name and start from scratch,  Im pretty sure some big bhp supras are running them over 800bhp on the forums, seen loads of good results on the miata forum too. 
yeah its super quiet shame really thanks for reading :) 

I cant wait to see this updated.

I m currently about a week away from receiving my wepr manifold and dp and cant describe how excited i am.

I m also in the same situation with parts in my garage lol although not gonna say what turbo i ll be using, ita quite similar and should take me to 400 hopefully

What ecu are you going with? I believe fiske is a fan of link ecus. I m getting the storm after i break in the engine

40 minutes ago, candy_red said:

I cant wait to see this updated.

I m currently about a week away from receiving my wepr manifold and dp and cant describe how excited i am.

I m also in the same situation with parts in my garage lol although not gonna say what turbo i ll be using, ita quite similar and should take me to 400 hopefully

What ecu are you going with? I believe fiske is a fan of link ecus. I m getting the storm after i break in the engine

I will keep it updated so keep an eye out! put your own build thread up so we can all see your progres :) 

I will be going for a link monsoon probably or something similar will be running anti lag ect. 

Not too much of an update did a little work on my rocker cover this weekend, sanding all the surfaces down flat then going to mirror polish it.

7CaLZmK.jpg

Engine has also been dropped off at engine builders to build the bottom end ect should have it back in a week or two then just waiting on my slot with LC porting for the head to be ported.

Update:
Managed to spend quite a few hours on the rocker cover over the weekend, started on 80 grit and worked my way up to 3000 grit,  It not how i want it finished yet i would like a mirror finish on it but i cant seem to get it there with polish at the moment, I may need to get it done professonally to finish it off,  here are a few photos non the less :) 

Haj0LSU.jpg

b99Dnm2.jpg

5zfacyk.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, candy_red said:

Its a big hassle smoothing it, that looks great dont worry as soon as some paint is laid on it its gonna even out all the imperfections. 

Im keeping it polished and going for a mirror finish needs more work. should look very good when done.

Came home today after work another parcel waiting for me racetech highflow fuel rail bargain again for £50. Will get this cleaned up and put in the powder coat pile ready for when one of my good mates coats a load of the engine parts. Need to purchase a load of AN6 fittings and braided line and get the FPR seated perfectly in the bay all tidy. 

2cH0Yov.jpg

On 11/21/2019 at 8:34 PM, wakeabby14 said:

Came home today after work another parcel waiting for me racetech highflow fuel rail bargain again for £50. Will get this cleaned up and put in the powder coat pile ready for when one of my good mates coats a load of the engine parts. Need to purchase a load of AN6 fittings and braided line and get the FPR seated perfectly in the bay all tidy. 

2cH0Yov.jpg

Saw this on ebay, was an absolute bargain,

Build looks good, need to get me some K20 coils, got my adapter plate from WEPR worth looking into!

3 hours ago, V_Jack said:

Saw this on ebay, was an absolute bargain,

Build looks good, need to get me some K20 coils, got my adapter plate from WEPR worth looking into!

yeah man cant complain at all for £50, Im going to weld my fittings on to support the coils as want rocker cover open to see mirror finish :)  nice to see you have updated your thread again too! 

Update:

Even though i have been in birmingham all weekend having a nice night away with the other half, its not stopped me and stuff has been happening.

So this weekend i have managed to paint a few bits, and also splashed out £900 on a quaife ATB diff and new diff bearings, will get the gearbox sent off to a local builders to sort that getting put in and a check over of the gears and syncros.  here are a few pics of what i have done :) Enjoy! 

AVGmU2h.jpg

X5euX7v.jpg

NLhfE9g.jpg

50VkGqo.jpg

Really need to invest in a diff myself, box has been rebuilt but its on my "Nice to have but it doesn't need it to run" list!

What kind of power are you expecting out of yours? GTX over my GT - although mines been rebuilt with some billet bits.

Are you sticking with standard intake manifold? I'm trying the 5e manifold on mine with the longer runners so that'll be interesting to see how it fairs. 

19 hours ago, V_Jack said:

Really need to invest in a diff myself, box has been rebuilt but its on my "Nice to have but it doesn't need it to run" list!

What kind of power are you expecting out of yours? GTX over my GT - although mines been rebuilt with some billet bits.

Are you sticking with standard intake manifold? I'm trying the 5e manifold on mine with the longer runners so that'll be interesting to see how it fairs. 

Im trying to get to as close to 400bhp (at the flywheel) as possible should not be difficult with the turbo choice. I currently have the 4efte inlet manifold it should be fine for around 400 but I have been tempted to get a race plenum but im waiting one to pop up on the page.

2 hours ago, RobSR said:

Coming along nicely! :) 

Thanks looking forward to early quarter next year to come to you for mapping :) 

Update:

Been a preety good week for the car let me share it with you :) 

After work on tuesday came home to a package from mike at TD as always spot on service and sorted me out fast. Nice quaife diff and new toyota diff bearings 

wirBptg.jpg

vhtjXZJ.jpg

QOtlym3.jpg

Then today on payday which was a great bonus had a call from engine builder saying block was ready to collect so i nipped out on my lunch break and picked it up :D 

a8V7J5n.jpg

1pRo5lR.jpg

en5Pswj.jpg

wXvHnVm.jpg

Next plans are to put the engine on the stand at the weekend, start putting oil pump, water pump on ect and will paint the block and sump to make it look all nice and new.  more updates will be coming at the end of the week :) keep an eye out logging off for now 

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Hello everyone, been a super productive week this week and lots of bit coming back from body shop and machine shop ect, let me show you what been going on :) 

So first of all for the past 2 weeks Ive had my gear box at a garage near me getting my quaife ATB LSD put in with new diff bearings,  Long story short its been a bit of a nightmare... the shim that holds the lsd in place inside the box was too small for the new diff so the diff would move around in the housing, So i called toyota directly and ordered 2 different types of shims neither of them fit luckily they were only £7 each, luckily enough the guy who was doing it has a good machinist friend and he made me a custom shim so now i have my gearbox back all ready to go.  Just need to clean up the outside of the greabox housing and give it a spray paint to smarten it up now. 

HV4FWst.jpg

Carrying on..

A few months back now i purchased a livesports spoiler and jam bumper but when i got both of them the paint work needed some attention and the jam bumper needed some fibreglass repairing, they have been in my friends bodyshop for a good 7 weeks and i got a call saying it is not ready to collect as he had a chance to get round to doing them for me. Car looks amazing now with them on, livesports spoiler fitment is fantastic but the jam bumper is a different story the fitement is not good at all, cant really tell unless your close just notthe best replica i guess, The paint looks amazing though and it still looks fantastic on the car so cant complain, Wanted this combo of bumper and spoiler for a long time all i need to finish the rear end now is a mid spoiler and im good to go. 

QLqyCXk.jpg

ehucUWO.jpg

47bgsLJ.jpg

So i was planning on having liam at LC porting to do a full port on my cylinder head, the plans have changed, I have had a look at some videos online and been reading up about porting and I've decided to give it ago my self, I purchased some carbide porting tools and also a porting sandpaper roll kit and pretty much been porting all weekend.  Im pretty pleased with the results and had a few pointers from liam which was a great help. Liam says the first run through the head with the carbide and 80 grit is where all the performace gains are and polishing is purely cosmetic and make no impact on power gains so i should see a decent gain from what i have done. 

What i have done to the head...   Gasket matched intake and exhaust ports, smoothed and removed all casting marks and worked on the valve bowls, i have also cut down the valve guides to optimise air flow.  here are a few photos of what i have been upto :) 

This is pretty much what all the ports in the head looked like including the valve bowls, loads of casting marks thatwill slow air flow down massivley 

ixWWaYc.jpg

This is after :D :D 

Before valve guides cut down in intake

fqrC8V3.jpg

After guides been cut down

PHuw054.jpg

2JhgswQ.jpg

Nice clean and smoothed valve bowls, well happy with the bowls, they took the most time by far...

c2xZ9Sf.jpg

So whats next then...    
Im planning on starting to assemble the head now puttin gin new stem seals, TD valve springs then fitting the head to the block, will then assemble the full engine and get it in the car and start running it in, i will also need to sort my an6 braided fuel lines out and also get some powder coating done.  So more updates coming very soon. clocking off for now! 

Edited by wakeabby14

Awesome update! :D :D 

Friday night after work i popped down to my mate AJ's unit,  He does powder coating in his spare time and agreed to do some bits for me, I purchased the colour i wanted and let him keep the rest of the powder i did not use as a thank you.  So bits that got powder coated was Garret GTX2860R compressor housing, alternator bracket, fuel rail and oil filter housing. Photos dont do the colour justice colour looks far better in person.

qfN8ohG.jpg

JhDq435.jpg

Work was quiet on saturday so i got the work i needed to get done and started lapping all my valves in at my desk, after that my brother helped me put the TD valve springs in the head as i did not have a spring compressor. 

7zOa922.jpg

Same night after work started putting bit and bobs on the the block, water pump, alternator bracket, engine mount, knock sensor and oil pressure switch ready for the head.With a cheeky bud 😉 

Xl7AQHh.jpg

Next day got some christmas shopping done then started on full assembly, Cleaned all the cam caps and bolts lubricated them up got all the cams timed up and rocker cover on. Also put on oil filter housing, thermostat housing and new thermostat with OEM gaskets. This is the moment i have been waiting for so long now and it was well worth the wait just look at these shots absolutly amazing with the WEPR GTX top mount kit speechless... Also a few photos with turbo blanket and K20 coils as a test fit to see what it looks like.

RG2F81E.jpg

zEYa5Lb.jpg

BbNseGT.jpg

QBFbuI6.jpg

JjBewI3.jpg

So been a busy yet fucking awesome weekend,  Next plans is enjoy christmas then clean up the outside of the gearbox and paint it ready to drop the engine in probs within the next 2-4 weeks. More updates to come! Peace out. 

• wakeabby14 changed the title to Josh's forged 5E Massive spec forged build! 370BHP!!