Ex-Detailer offering advice...

Hiya buddy

Do you have any recommendations, I think my paint is fairly thin as my white Glanza looks grey in comparrison to other starlets. In the back of my mind I know it needs a full spray but is there anyway of whitening it a few shades for the meantime.

Thanks Alex.

Poorboys World white diamond show glaze high gloss, sell it on ebay

Hiya buddy

Do you have any recommendations, I think my paint is fairly thin as my white Glanza looks grey in comparrison to other starlets. In the back of my mind I know it needs a full spray but is there anyway of whitening it a few shades for the meantime.

Thanks Alex.

hi Alex!

First of all i have to ask...... have you de-tarred/claybared the paintwork? Removing tar and then proceeding to claybar is a must before any polish hits the paintwork!

if your unsure of a claybar and what it does,heres a quick run down,,,it is an engineered resin,designed to remove bonded contaminants from your paintwork,if you do not do this you are in effect slowly killing your paintwork...

i do it 3times a year to my personal car....wash,bugs off,wheels washed,de-tarred,rinse,claybar wash rinse,and then polish! it may seem like effort,but truly worth it to look after your paintwork,the paint on these cars are notoriously thin from factory,although metallics are slightly better as they have primer colour and a clearcoat!

i would myself personally recommend autofinesse products,they really are top notch,designed by a detailer for amateurs to professionals!

however there is a small trick with paint colours.........

White and other light colours,your better to polish and finish/protect the paint with a 'sealent; opposed to a wax! The reason for that is simply optimum clarity.. if you wax a light coloured car you never get that pin sharp finish because wax contains carnauba,which is yellow...it dampens the end result,so waxes for dark colours and sealents for light colours! you can use either or but i promise you will see a huge difference when the light hits your car :D

I hope this helps,it is a little bit of a rushed reply as i have to pop out,any questions feel free to ask :)

This is very good of you to offer knowledge and advice to people. :)

^x2 welcome aboard

A good detailer offering advice is something this forum has been missing. Welcome mate.

Cheers guys! I just wish i could be more active on the forum,i do try my hardest,but three project cars on the go it is a nightmare!!

Hiya buddy

Thanks Alex.

here is a link to the polish.... http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/tripple-250ml

http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/tough-coat-250ml this is the final stage sealent also

autofinesse sell amazing shampoos,claybar,bug remover etc

p.s i have no link to this company whatsoever,i use 3m,sonax,autofiness,swissvax,meguiars,autoglym,poorboys and alot more,i have a mix of everything from everybody,autofinesse are so easy to use though! others require temperature controlled environments to get the best out the product,although autofinesse does,it isnt silly like 30degrees or above lol!

Auto Finesse Tough Coat Paint Sealant) hmmm think I will buy one:-) my Toyota caldina is white and at the moment im using poor boys white then Soft99 Fusso coat Light wax http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151621607490&alt=web seems to do the job but if Sealant is more suited for white cars I will give it a try.

My paint seems to be a bit thin and when the car was imported last year it arrived looking very flat in the paint, lost all its shine plus it hasn't helped with the car spending most of the time parked up, 1998 caldina with very low km, it's looking much better now though.

Auto Finesse Tough Coat Paint Sealant) hmmm think I will buy one:-) my Toyota caldina is white and at the moment im using poor boys white then Soft99 Fusso coat Light wax http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151621607490&alt=web seems to do the job but if Sealant is more suited for white cars I will give it a try.

My paint seems to be a bit thin and when the car was imported last year it arrived looking very flat in the paint, lost all its shine plus it hasn't helped with the car spending most of the time parked up, 1998 caldina with very low km, it's looking much better now though.

Japanese cars seem to have very thin paint,i have machine polished a substantial amount of imprezas import and uk models,a very fine line using a machine polisher! i would always recommend machine polishing the paint but there are so many factors to add in i would have to spend alot of hours to cover every single area of that topic! i'm glad ive helped you out though,auto finesse tough coat is amazing,i still use it have done for 4 years solid!

i will put a post up in this section with a portfolio of a % of my work for you guys to see tomorrow at some point,probably late afternoon!

Hi mate,

Really enjoying the tips.

What products do you recommend for blue/purplish (8k9) glanza ?

I personally just use dodojuice products and find them very good, but open to alternatives :)

Also when washing a car, I bought a dodojuice drying towel, but it left a lot of microfiber left overs on the paint and it really wasn't enough to dry the car. I also tried another towel from Mothers, it didn't leave anything behind, but it still wasn't enough to dry the car.

Would appreciate any suggestions :).

Cheers

Hi mate,

Really enjoying the tips.

What products do you recommend for blue/purplish (8k9) glanza ?

I personally just use dodojuice products and find them very good, but open to alternatives :)

Also when washing a car, I bought a dodojuice drying towel, but it left a lot of microfiber left overs on the paint and it really wasn't enough to dry the car. I also tried another towel from Mothers, it didn't leave anything behind, but it still wasn't enough to dry the car.

Would appreciate any suggestions :).

Cheers

Im glad to help buddy! I was there one day,loads of products not a bloomin clue what was what! I have the advantage of being fortunate and lucky enough to have been involved in product development! its not about the most expensive but a good technique also!

It sounds like the water is sticking to your car after a wash....which would suggest the paintwork is causing friction and spreading the water opposed to taking it off,have you claybarred the car buddy? this followed by a good polish and wax should see your next wash dry alot easier

HERE IS A TIP TO AID DRYING..........

when your almost ready to dry,use the open end of a hose,water running out steady not to fast but not dribbling out or itll take forever! if you gently let the water run over the paint,it will dissipate the water of the paintwork,opposed to rinsing where it leaves water all over the car in a uniform manner,let thhe water run freely of thhe paint,leave it a few minutes and then try drying,i would do one swipe in one area and move on to the next,you will find if you try wipin the same area twice you are wipin water with water and it smears,certainly claybar polish wax and next round you will see a big difference with these tips!

I still detail some cars and even now the new products out iam only just keeping up with!! you could use the dodo juice drying aid spray also,it seems unlikely spraying liquid on a car to aid drying,but worth a shot....however i will add these products are known to be of a synthetic content and do wear down wax coatings quicker!

here are a few links to what i would recommend for your drying aid and colour

DRYING TOWEL

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/drying-towels/monster-microfibre-purple-monster-edgeless-xl/prod_1297.html

HAND POLISH

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/sonus-hand-polish-bundle/prod_29.html

WAX

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/finishkare-2685-pink-wax/prod_590.html

when applying these products,less is more,no need to throw it on like butter on bread,thin evenly spread out will sufficiently do the job,what alot of companies dont mention is polish has a 'breakdown' point,meaning applying it and wiping off dosnt really cut it,work the polish in the paint for 20seconds per section,then wipe off,also always apply polish n waxes in a straight line not in circles,this will minimize 'swirls' paint damage and light scratching,

i hope this helps :)

Thanks for the tips, Yep you're right. I tried the towel before actually claying/polishing it and gave it up immediately.

Will give it another go once it's done.

Also good tip on the water, will def try it.

Thanks for your time man, appreciate it.

Thanks for the tips, Yep you're right. I tried the towel before actually claying/polishing it and gave it up immediately.

Will give it another go once it's done.

Also good tip on the water, will def try it.

Thanks for your time man, appreciate it.

let me know how you get on! post a pic up :)

No problem at all,im logging on when i can to answer questions lol!

Watched some stuff on youtube since your advice, seems like clay barring is the pretty much the most important part in maintaining your cars paintwork.

most certainly,if you polish paint without claybarring first of all,your polishing in bonded contaminants,which will in time diminish the paint finish.

Your advice plus a few wee videos on ebay have inspired me to purchase my first ever claybar kit lol.

I just need to invest in everything else now going to pick up some wax and bug & tar remover from Halfords now and ill give it a test run on the Abarth lol.

Yes as mentioned don't bloody machine a car without claying it lol.

My brother and i run a business doing such. You can look at the stages we take cars through here. - http://fiskeautomotive.com/detailing-services/

Also a blog on a new car protection detail on a Q7, you may find it useful :)http://fiskeautomotive.com/audi-q7-new-car-protection-detail/

Could ya shed a bit of light on tinting windows please :) as I've tried it on 3 cars and failed miserably each time i always have bubbles and it looks like pure shite hey :( i keep the tint nice and wet and all but bubbles always pop up and end up ripping the tint off and binning it lol. Thanks :)

Could ya shed a bit of light on tinting windows please :) as I've tried it on 3 cars and failed miserably each time i always have bubbles and it looks like pure shite hey :( i keep the tint nice and wet and all but bubbles always pop up and end up ripping the tint off and binning it lol. Thanks :)

First of all which brand of film are you using? are you using plain water or a mixture as the slip solution? also which car are you trying on? The bubbles keep comin back up for one off two reason,either the slip solution is too greasy and the film wont tack down..... or the window may need shrinking,however the film manufacturer will come into play also!

Can't think of the name of it off hand. It's just stuff ya buy in Halfords and the slip solution is water and fairy liquid lol and gonna try it on my starlet. Which stuff would you recommend ? Thanks

Can't think of the name of it off hand. It's just stuff ya buy in Halfords and the slip solution is water and fairy liquid lol and gonna try it on my starlet. Which stuff would you recommend ? Thanks

Ok i wouldn't recommend buying that again it is a nightmare,cheap chinese film unfortunately!

as for slip solution,fairy liquid is no use,it has an abrasive in it that is designed to break down grease,it will chew the window film glue and cause it to fail in a short period of time.....

so for a slip solution i would recommend you use johnsons baby shampoo mixed with water... http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/johnsons-baby-shampoo-300ml?gclid=CjwKEAjw9Zu5BRCS_OuVibujhQ0SJAD7t4KrUG4fQtf5VBmHfp4EmHwOQLkouxYpYn9-mgtTMOJEXxoCHzjw_wcB

for window film itself id recommend using this http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/suntekcarbon.asp

they have a northern ireland depo,service is awesome im addicted to ordering from them,mainly vinyl though,i'm an authorised installer via a worldwide window film producer,obviously i use there film! but suntek carbon is a good film!!

for the rear window,your going to run into some issues as the window is curved,the film needs 'heat shrunk' to conform to the shape of the glass.its quite an art!

for your side windows,grab your film and separate a little bit on a corner,you want the sticky side facing you! spray solution on outside of window,put your film on area you require tinting,with the sticky side of film facing you..stick a light in the car,facing outwards,to out line the cut......

have a look where you need to cut the tint to.......if the tint is to long it will bunch up against the interior panels/roof lining and causes creases you fight with every day,so make sure your cut is close to area needing tinted,once you have it cut,peel the backing off,spray the window tint with solution,give a quick spray inside glass aswell,another tip!!...when your carrying the film inside the car,walk backwards into car with it,as walking forward will pick up contamination,dust etc,try to wear as smooth clean as possible clothes while doing it,a fleece top with dog hairs on it will always end up on the film lol! im doing tints on a polo(almost same rear glass as a mk5 golf gti) considered one of the hardest windows in the industry to tint,i shall make a point of getting a video for you to see how i heat shrink! i will also get a video of me doing side windows on a corsa c,already done the polo side windows but the customer needed the car for emergency so back to finish the film wednesday1

another tip also,the width of the film,the factory edges,must always be top and bottom off the glass not up and down!

i would also recommend using this to squeeze out the solution! http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/windowtintingtools.asp

a blue hard card its called,but a couple of them :)