Ex-Detailer offering advice...

Sound write up man cheers.I'll gather all up for the next try lol few great tips in there.Thanks again man

no problem,i would recommend also a very sharp knife blade! i use a olfa silver knife,can get them on ebay for 7 quid or from that mdp supplies website in tools section,a blunt blade can scratch glass badly!

Received my clay bar kit last week and spent about 5 hours on saturday in this order:

wash, tar and de-bug, wash, claybar, wash, polish and wax.

took some amount of time but did work a treat the car looked great apart from me now knowing every mark on the car I didnt know before.

Its ruined now due to it being a daily but it looked class at the time I'll ad pics.

20160430_180032_zpssj27z9rx.jpg

Edited by StuDoc 72

Got any advice for a car thats been sitting for a while, been under trees so lots of sap and crap, washed it earlier and theres literally visual lumps of stuff stuck to the car.

Any decent products to loosen it first? Any extra steps to add to the above guidelines?

Got any advice for a car thats been sitting for a while, been under trees so lots of sap and crap, washed it earlier and theres literally visual lumps of stuff stuck to the car.

Any decent products to loosen it first? Any extra steps to add to the above guidelines?

I would recommend snowfoam through a lance on pressure washer! However dont waste your money on snowfoam,just use car shampoo mixed with water to created the same idea,if you applied this and leave it for 15minutes on the paint,then rinse off and see what you have......! try not to do it in beaming sunshine!

What car is it? i can advise better if i know the paint type.... i would recommend the autofinesse degreasing product http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/182090481777?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1007345&poi=&campaignid=270621186&device=c&adgroupid=16885268106&rlsatarget=pla-146650298946&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=122&ff19=0

this stuff is amazing and although it has high degreasing propertys,it dosnt strip wax applied to paint,clever product!

to apply this,spray liberally on spots required,leave it a few mines,use a detailing brush can be found here....http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/valetpro-non-scratch-soft-brush/prod_950.html

agitate the product on desired area,use common sense not to brush too hard,medium pressure to see whats happening,some hot milk may also benefit but dont allow it to dry in to the paintwork! i use hot milk to break down hard bird poo,so i dont run the risk of scratching,its awesome!

p.s the abarth looks squeeeeeky clean,nice job!

Thanks for the reply, This is the car in question, uk spec starlet with factory paint still, 205 satin black metallic.

20140617_191155_LLS.jpg

With the snowfoam shampoo trick is it worth using a good car shampoo or any old stuff? as i have some Meguires stuff for my car but i also have some cheap tescos brand car shampoo for doing the rents motors with lol

nice car mate! definately go down the snowfoam route! be sensible n not scrub to hard and it will shift!

i wouldnt leave tescos shampoo on a cars paintwork........

meguiars will be good,i would recommend,wheels,inner arches,clean and out the way first!

snowfoam it,leave on car for 15minutes,rinse,snowfoam again,but wash with shampoo while the snowfoam there,make your shampoo water hot enough to be able to get your hand in bucket without screaming!

rub the area more where you want to remove sap etc,failing that buy a claybar,should have one anyway :p dont be sucked into buying clay lubes,just use car shampoo in a bucket as your claybar,as long as it has a smooth surfecant product to use as lube itll be all good!

im not sure what your using to polish and wax it with but i find on japanese paint and if your polishing by hand..http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/tripple-250ml

also watch the video on that page,awesome product i love it!

Thanks for the reply, This is the car in question, uk spec starlet with factory paint still, 205 satin black metallic.

20140617_191155_LLS.jpg

With the snowfoam shampoo trick is it worth using a good car shampoo or any old stuff? as i have some Meguires stuff for my car but i also have some cheap tescos brand car shampoo for doing the rents motors with lol

Awesome ill give that a go, i had a claybay but probably due a new one anyway plus i have no idea where it is.

As for polish i got given an autoglym pack so am using the ultra deep shine stuff for darker cars from that and have a tin of Meguires wax. However i can never get the finish i like with the wax, it always seems to leave a smeary film that you can see.

Awesome ill give that a go, i had a claybay but probably due a new one anyway plus i have no idea where it is.

As for polish i got given an autoglym pack so am using the ultra deep shine stuff for darker cars from that and have a tin of Meguires wax. However i can never get the finish i like with the wax, it always seems to leave a smeary film that you can see.

that is the petroleum distillates your seeing,it would be worth when removing wax use a detailing spray to lightly mist and then wipe off,see how you get on with that

• 1 month later...

Took your advice with a clay bar and sealant rather than wax. Used the G3 clay mitt and it was really easy to use and brought all the crap off the paint! Thanks for the advice, I'd advice anyone to clay there car prior to polishing!

Thanks for all the info dude.

I wanted to know if you can get light blue window tint.

Like some factory avantgarde mercedes have them and old mk5 vw golf gti's also had them as well.

I cant find a window tinter that does them or even a place that sells it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info dude.

I wanted to know if you can get light blue window tint.

Like some factory avantgarde mercedes have them and old mk5 vw golf gti's also had them as well.

I cant find a window tinter that does them or even a place that sells it.

Thanks

Hi yes this is possible.could you private mail me please.

Took your advice with a clay bar and sealant rather than wax. Used the G3 clay mitt and it was really easy to use and brought all the crap off the paint! Thanks for the advice, I'd advice anyone to clay there car prior to polishing!

I'm glad my advice is helping people out :)

I noticed I have very light swirl marks on my car most likely from me giving it a "quick wash" but this bugs me quite a bit as its only just had a respray. Is it a case of washing - claying - washing then some of that swirl remover stuff ?

Also wax or sealant as I can't put my colour into a light or dark category :p

Thanks in advance :)

post-12017-0-30449700-1468025557_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I was recently told about iron x and that I should be using before I even clay my usual routine is wash with pooboys then clay with meguires and a handy mitt dry car off then apply a coat of Harley wax it's 99% canuba I think hard wax hard work my last main pride and joy I had managed to get a build up of wax on her about 3 layers over a few months and car was covered only driven in summer

mycar1_zps79be80ad.jpg

When I washed each time was only taking less than half bucket and water used to form droplets and just slide off is there anything else I should do could do for future I also use wheel wax which makes a massive difference first time someone mentioned to me I thought they were mad.

Dave.