• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be having the Quaife sequential fitted around August time, along with many other parts, including standalone management, billet TD04 and going stage 2 fully forged with uprated valvesprings and ARP headbolts. Once this is done I'll report back with how it copes and how it feels.

I'll also be updating my build thread and will include videos to show how it goes/sounds/engages etc.

I plan to get my spare cryo treated morgey, while I'd love to go for a dog box at like 6k it couldn't justify it in a street car . Am sure rebuild times on them are 24 hours use and Most the car shows are a 12 hour round trip for me ha!

I used the 6 speed from jap 20v in my 400hp 5E., never killed 3 gear.

Only time i tryed, was in old race car, after massive test and tune on road, the gearbox was very hot.

You need to cool oil down.

Did you run an oil cooler for the gear oil?

Phil

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For the amount of money you'll invest into a "more reliable gearbox" you might aswell just keep replacing the stock g box with the same unit again.

I ran 297bhp/250+lb-ft for a year with abuse clutch kicks and with r888s and a unsprung 4puk clutch, and never missed a beat. Using proven quality lubricants may help prolong the life of the synchro, and help with temp etc

I really dont know how you 300+ guys get them to last, i just ripped mine apart at 250. Just had my 3rd cyro treated so shall see how i get on

Ahhh so you'r the one that Mike was talking about? :D

I have been speaking to TD about this cryo treatment for mine but wanted to see some results before going ahead. Will be keen to see if it holds up to the challenge

Have you fitted it yet?

Ahhh so you'r the one that Mike was talking about? :D

I have been speaking to TD about this cryo treatment for mine but wanted to see some results before going ahead. Will be keen to see if it holds up to the challenge

Have you fitted it yet?

Probably buddy ;)

Its going back in next week so hopefully it will last longer than a week this time :D

Edited by Ryan5793
  • 3 weeks later...

Short Answer.

There is no cost effective solution.

Ignore anyone that tells you they've engineered or made a custom box. 5 or 6 speed.

I've looked at every option going after blowing 5 of these gearbox's in the same way. As has MadMike on here.

The strongest box is a GT C52 5 Speed. (Due to longer ratios which help a touch)

6 Speed's have a thinner 3rd gear. Don't Waste your time.

Sorry

Your only options are:

Zisco Straight Cut or Quaife.

Both will cost you 6k + by the time there in a car.

Both of which will still wear out eventually and dont give specs on what they can cope with either.

was it yourself matt who was telling me about the layshafts flexing apart causing the gears to un-mesh and strip ??

someone was .. either way, when I opened up my GT box the outer casing had marks like this had been happening.

if this is the case the gear sets aren't the issue.

From what i know anything over 300hp your gearbox is on borrowed time.

corolla 6 speeds are chocolate and rare as hens balls

mr2/celica boxes are bigger than the engine themselves, and nothing else small enough can deal with the power.

as said above, cooling high-quality oil will do wonders but with no promises or guarantees.

you could spend a hell of a lot of money on something custom and hope that it will survive, but its probably betterer to just keep changing the box out.

have 2 box's and just once you strip one swop it for the other and replace the gearset ready for when you destroy it again next week :)

Edited by roachburger

Shaft flex and gears riding eachother is indeed cause of failure.

If being tracked competitively a c series box (for a turbo car) could benefit from a extra bearing carrier in the middle of the box the reduce the slop and flex and run first second-space-third and then 4th beyond the bearing retainer in the end cap where 5th currently is.

For a turbo car you need half decent ratios to make use of the torque and on track your unlikely to run out of go if it's geared to 135 ish (with head room to lift the limiter should you ever need it)

Long first gear would be ideal

6speed c60 no weaker than c52 from what I've read

Phil

Essentially what you want to do is take a 6 speed box and convert to 5 speed by doing what you just said.

Would still be a crazy amount of work though!

This is exactly it, there's limited space in a 5 speed. Get a 6 speed, convert to 5 and have wider gears on stronger input/output shafts without the worry of running out of room.

I hope I don't sound like a pure penis but anyways why not just be happy with 280 lol it's a 1.3 at the end of the day frontwd. Big massive turbo's are useless power unless your fwd. Of course gearbox's are going to fuck up your running triple power from a 15 years old ++ gearbox

I hope I don't sound like a pure penis but anyways why not just be happy with 280 lol it's a 1.3 at the end of the day frontwd. Big massive turbo's are useless power unless your fwd. Of course gearbox's are going to fuck up your running triple power from a 15 years old ++ gearbox

Nothing wrong with your question mate it's perfectly reasonable and why we all have to accept that in the current situation failures will happen. But

1) 280 isn't the limit of the box it could easily blow at less than thatp.

2) it's all the tune/setup - if 300/350 is useless in your fwd car then your fwd has a useless setup. I don't spin in second gear and I've plenty of power availible. One of the fastest timeattack cars in the world is a fwd honda.

3) this solution would solve one of the main hinderances to light weight performance Toyotas (ie it's bigger than starlets)

Phil

Edited by Phil