Essentially what you want to do is take a 6 speed box and convert to 5 speed by doing what you just said.

Would still be a crazy amount of work though!

Yes that's what I was getting at, though I think the work Involved is no more than what would be put in to making a stronger 6speed gearset - mfactory or whoever would be making custom shafts anyways and instead of making a 3rd gear they would make a double bearing brace to hold the shafts equal distance apart at the main flex point. Plenty of brands do it for the Honda boxes.

Phil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes that's what I was getting at, though I think the work Involved is no more than what would be put in to making a stronger 6speed gearset - mfactory or whoever would be making custom shafts anyways and instead of making a 3rd gear they would make a double bearing brace to hold the shafts equal distance apart at the main flex point. Plenty of brands do it for the Honda boxes.

Phil

Thats a good point, i suppose you dont actually need to support it against the gearbox casing which i was thinking you would have to do, you just need to brace them together so the cant push apart.

The reason i was thinking using the 6 speed is obviously you can retain the 5 speed functionality if you put a support carrier in but also the 6 speed box has bearings in the end casing as well supporting the far end of the 2 shafts for extra support.

Problem you have is with removing a gear you then have to redesign the selector shaft aswell to accommodate for the moved gear. Not a big problem but its something else that would need addressing.

Sounds like a good idea, but as Morgey said, shitloads of machining would be needed. custom syncros, selector forks, wider/chryo treated gears, layshafts, some form of dogbone bearing around 3rd to tie the layshafts together annddd do you think there would be any effects on the diff/final drive ?

Fair enough 300 is good enough power from a shoebox but then again 69% of British adults are obese, enough is never enough in this world :-)

You can do a lot for gearbox preservation with the ecu too by setting up a timed delay in the ignition timing as you select another gear. So instead of having full timing and peak power between changes you can delay and ramp the ignition timing up on a delay curve to soften the blow. For example with a clutch switch and speed input with my ecu i'm able to enter the diff and gear ratios so the ecu can work out what gear I'm in at any given rpm and speed. Once that's sorted and via the clutch switch so the ecu knows when im changing gear I can setup a short timed delay in the ignition advance by ramping up after a gear change say from 5 degrees less that the ignition map at that specific rpm/load so the box isnt suddenly slammed with 100% power. Its only a part of a second if you want but it can soften the blow so to speak. Every little helps.

Edited by Stu