Smoke coming off boost

Recently after getting the car on the road it developed the issue of oily smoke.

Suspected valve stem oil seals were replaced and the issue is still there

The engine was got used, wossners pistons, pec rods, 1.4mm headgasket.

Sump has been off and no play from bearings up and down or crankshaft float.

Compression test showed up 135 across 3 and 130 on one, does this seem OK ? Thought if rings would be constantly smokey on idle etc and would be a bigger difference in compression

Breather set up consists of a rw developments catch can with race spec rocker cover, I had the lines off and didn't seem to make a difference so guessing it's breathing ok.

Car doesn't seem to be losing any coolant.

Anyone any ideas what else to check or what it could be ?

Turbo kit was on it new it's the billet Garett gt20 from WEPR, has been checked as yet for any oil.

From memory oil pressure at idle once warm is around 12 - 15 psi but would need to check this as can't really remember.

Think I have covered everything

Ill give it a look over, although normally on idle it doesn't smoke just after your Rev it would let out a small puff then on overun coming off boost as will, will get it off at the weekend and have a look

What should compression be ? I thought it was ok, what could be done to increase compression as didn't think it was rings or anything as would be smoking constant.

Not sure Karl I'll have to check that out could be the turbo

Garrett say journal bearing turbos don't need a restrictor, just a decent oil return. Not sure if GT20 is ball bearing?

Have you checked for any kinks or up hill sections on the oil return? I run a gt17 no restrictor and an10 oil return and have no issue with smoke (gt17 is journal)

Imagine compression is low because of the 1.4 headgasket and possibly low comp pistons?

What should compression be ? I thought it was ok, what could be done to increase compression as didn't think it was rings or anything as would be smoking constant.

Not sure Karl I'll have to check that out could be the turbo

depends on your pistons what psi u run what is the spec of them ??

Edited by 5e colin

im running 75mm wossner pistons, pec rods with a 1.4mm Athena head gasket and my compression is 170 across all 4 cylinders - 135-130 seems rather low

Not sure if they are low compression Pistons or not, running just below 1.5 bar of boost. Will also check oil return as well. Any tests I can do to see if I can up compression without stripping it, was thinking maybe do headgasket ?

Got one of them leak down testers off eBay but couldn't get it to work at all, pressure reg worked but no air was let into block not sure how to get it going properly lol

Wide Open Throttle

Essentially, with your foot hard down on the accelerator as you crank it over.

When I compression checked my car, I was told to do the following.

- Engine cold, all plugs out, disconnect injectors

- Screw tester into head

- Crank at WOT until compression stopped increasing, or in my case, no compression was being registered at all :lol:

- Rinse & repeat 3 more times.

Cheers for the info guys, if I am gonna do the headgasket can I put a thinner one on? Think am gonna do that and valve stem oil seals again to be sure, because it's 1.4mm should it stick with that or change or does that mess things up ? Would the head need skimmed ?

From intial thoughts that's what the guy working on it thinks it's the valve stem oil seals not sealed properly. Turbo coming off too just to check it.

Is there any way I can raise compression or would it be ok the way it is?