Hello everyone, first time Starlet owner! I wanted a starlet years ago when I was 17/18 but never happened, but now at 25 I saw this black SR for sale not long back and I just couldn't resist.

The car is almost immaculate, just 30.000 miles from new! FSH, cambelt recently done and long MOT, completely original and unmodified, still has the TTE back box and springs. I bought it off an old lady who had owned it from new and only ever popped to the shops in it, the rear seats and front passenger seat had never been sat in.

I bought it for just £450!!! I pretty much threw my money at her

Sooo I've already under sealed it, replaced the decals as they were badly faded from the sun and put on some clear indicators.

I plan to keep the car looking almost original, plans are:

Future proofing

Refurb alloys and get body scuffs and marks cleaned up

98' spec interior

Corolla inlet mani

Panel filter

Uprated leads and plugs

Possibly front and rear strut braces and adjustable panhard rod

Here are a couple of pictures (hopefully) I am new to forums altogether so not sure if these will work

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha! it was the most intense half hour ever, I just wanted to hurry up and get out of there before she changed her mind or something. Ive seen other SRs with 100k on them up for £2000!

Its my 12th car, I previously had a red Civic type R and currently also own a remapped 306 HDI which I use as my main daily to keep the mileage and wear and tear down on the SR, I do miss the power of the Type R but the starlet is still a lot of fun.

I had no idea how rare these had become and being an 18 year old it does turn a lot of heads.

Welcome mate- needless to say I'm a massive fan of this and you are probably the luckiest guy on here ha ha! Please tell me you're keeping it original? How's the bodywork? I think the prices of these will be on the up soon, just they haven't got a ford badge on otherwise they'd be worth silly money.

Welcome mate- needless to say I'm a massive fan of this and you are probably the luckiest guy on here ha ha! Please tell me you're keeping it original? How's the bodywork? I think the prices of these will be on the up soon, just they haven't got a ford badge on otherwise they'd be worth silly money.

Hi mate, yep that's the plan! Looks wise she is staying complete original, but with a few handling tweeks underneath and a corolla mani in the engine bay. I'm also going to change the interior as I can't stand the standard granny spec one it's got haha.

Body work is fantastic! No rust and solid underneath, the old lady's husband cleaned and polished it regularly so paint work is in great Nick as well, I honestly still can't believe my luck.

Yours is lovely mate, what's the mileage at now? I completely agree good examples are now being advertised at £1600-£2500, I can see these being worth a small fortune in 5 years time.

Ah brilliant as too many low mileage examples have had a tough life, people are beginning to save them now though. Your plans are v similar to mine then ha ha, the 98 interior makes a big difference inside, just need to do the boot on mine now. Corolla mani is a nice mod and if you need to know anything just let me know. Mines just below 65k now so not too bad at all. It's our second little car and only gets used now and again which is nice

Edited by Pikey009

One thing I must ask you mate is where the hell did you find that black steering wheel? I can't find that, the 98' spec interior or corolla mani anywhere haha Ive tried eBay, scrappys etc but no luck. Yeh the Starlet is my second car as well, I use my 306 most of the time and only do about 50 miles a week in the starlet, Im super OCD with it, far more than I have been with other cars I've owned strangely.

Just takes time mate must have taken me about 5 months to peice it together as the door cards seem to be the hardest to come by. I bought it all separately over time. The steering wheel was also difficult to come by but pretty cheap when they come up. Most of it was looking who had 98spec cars and asking if they had any parts laying around. Got a few bits from my old ep95 as I knew it had been upgraded to 98 but jack was stripping it down.

Corolla mani's are easy to find- plenty of the right corollas breaking on eBay but they're getting wise to us wanting them so are hiking the prices up :/ I just want the support bracket as Ive currently made my own- last quote I got was £20 + postage for a small peice of metal!

Ha this is like talking to myself- I'm honestly the same. Owned quite a few nice cars over the years but I just seem to be over the top with this one. We own a mk5 gt tdi so use that for most things so the mileage tends to stay low on the starlet :)

Edited by Pikey009

Dan, as yours is a late model Starlet, you can use a late model Celica/Mr2/IS200 3 spoke steering wheel. I'm using a IS200 steering wheel with Celica ST202 air bag and both are very cheap on ebay. You can use any Toyota 3 spoke air bag.

Dan, as yours is a late model Starlet, you can use a late model Celica/Mr2/IS200 3 spoke steering wheel. I'm using a IS200 steering wheel with Celica ST202 air bag and both are very cheap on ebay. You can use any Toyota 3 spoke air bag.

Ah right! Thanks mate! Does that include the three spoke steering wheel from the Gen 7 (1999-2006) Celica as well? Or just the gen 6 st202?

Just takes time mate must have taken me about 5 months to peice it together as the door cards seem to be the hardest to come by. I bought it all separately over time. The steering wheel was also difficult to come by but pretty cheap when they come up. Most of it was looking who had 98spec cars and asking if they had any parts laying around. Got a few bits from my old ep95 as I knew it had been upgraded to 98 but jack was stripping it down.

Corolla mani's are easy to find- plenty of the right corollas breaking on eBay but they're getting wise to us wanting them so are hiking the prices up :/ I just want the support bracket as Ive currently made my own- last quote I got was £20 + postage for a small peice of metal!

Ha this is like talking to myself- I'm honestly the same. Owned quite a few nice cars over the years but I just seem to be over the top with this one. We own a mk5 gt tdi so use that for most things so the mileage tends to stay low on the starlet :)

Messaged some of the breakers on eBay, most of them already sold and some didn't get back to me, but it is my life's mission to find this manifold lol! But I did manage to pick up a steering wheel from a breakers just outside of Portsmouth.

I don't know what makes me so much more careful over this car than my others, but I've never enjoyed modding a car so much, everything is so cheap! I took me forever to buy mods for my type R as everything cost a fortune, but I can mod the starlet and save for a mortgage at the same time.

So managed to pick up a Gen 7 Celica steering wheel and Gen 6 Celica airbag from a local breakers for just £30, well worth it, looks a lot better in person.

Photos aren't edited the sun had gone in on the after pic.

Before and after:

fdefe7ef5e839a5972f227578812d91d.jpgc42bc4ec59d4fbbff27f46bc3c118c82.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by DanSR

And be careful lol the parts soon add up- I've spent a small fortune on mine and it looks barely any different but I guess the aim with mine. Good brakes is where the expense starts!

Plus I now have a joint account with my wife so all the sneaky spending has stopped :/ spent 14k just on parts for the gt4!

Edited by Pikey009

Lol, my GT4 still swallowing my pay cheques. On the hunt for another set of alloys and tyres and looking at an easy £1200......

But the Starlet is cheap as chips but still requires a lot of effort.

@Dan, the Celica steering wheel looks better and feels good to hold too.

I used to own a Celica St202 and that cost me enough money in parts let alone a GT4! I'm not at the stage where I have to hide the cost of mods from the missus yet haha but she HATES the starlet and doesn't understand why I spend money on it, always saying I should get a nice new car on finance haha.

A small update, I changed the cluster, heater controls and cigarette lighter bulbs to blue, I know it won't be to everyone's taste but I like it.

23bd54212f55e838ffb9dd2bb93721c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DanSR