• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys! I just need to keep at it now. Been looking at other tegs for sale recently and theres some absolute dogs out there so think i will bash on with this one and have a good solid one at the end.

And the next seized bolt

20190120_141520_zps8lu9rtuq.jpg

building it up with weld got it moving with the grips on it but then it just seized up again after a few turns. so i ended up drilling it out but then that only worked for so much of it and then i had to use my powerful dremel type tool with a carbide burr to grind the redt of the bolt out then pick the remaining pieces out of the threads then run a tap through it. It came out ok in the end but tool me all afternoon yesterday!

20190120_171843_zpst6ztnlcr.jpg

After that i made a start cleaning up the RTA's with a wire wheel in the grinder, i finished it tonight then wiped them down with thinners and got a coat of bilt hamber hydrate 80 on. no pics yets though as i forgot. Also had the brackets from the handbrake cables, arb mounts and the caliper shield things in deox C eating away at the rust, they need another go but its a start.

Edited by Bean

Yes the workshop is a right dump. I'll gunna tidy it when the teg gets out. Here's the arms 20190122_172547_zpsvrjrobch.jpg And in primer. Finish doesn't need to be perfect on these as they came with a bit of underseal on from the factory i believe so i will be giving them a light coat of black stonechip i think. 20190122_173359_zpsgm6mwjov.jpg Im away for a few days now so no updates until i get back.

I got back sooner than i thought we would so i got the rear trailing arms sprayed with 2 coats of black.

20190124_155131_zpsvwbe6odn.jpg

20190124_155138_zpsfgbrcn8c.jpg

Next im going to spray the hard race rear lower control arms to protect them as all the hard race products ive seen rust very quickly unfortunetely. i dont think the paint system they use is any good for the uk.

Edited by Bean

Hardrace lower control arms painted

20190124_164709_zpscnbpmo8e.jpg

Not a good pic but they were then given a light coat of autosmart black underseal

20190124_181358_zpsxw3im9pc.jpg

The car is now back on its wheels and the interior has been stripped for the new archs fabricated and all the welding.

20190125_190050_zpsyqqrzqem.jpg

IMG_20190126_085821_378_zpstmil1pnu.jpg

3 hours ago, Calum122 said:

I am reading this, I may not comment on every post but just wanted to say it is being viewed.

Keep up the great work!

Haha cheers Calum, its not the shiniest build thread with fancy rare parts getting ordered from japan ect but its real work going into it. Even if no one reads it I like that I've got a full record of the work done to the car as my memory is pretty bad. I'm gutted about my GT4 build thread though as I only had it on the GT4oc and they got hit with ransom ware and the guys never backed the forum up so ALL the data was lost, and I pretty much rebuilt the full car. So now im posting this on 3 forums! That should mitigate the chance of loosing it hopefully.

Big day today, the Teg goes on its holiday :). I gave the garage a clean out yesterday for the first time in months (found a cruise gear knob for the GT!). What a dump it was. When the cars out the garage I will be sweeping it all out.
My mate thinks he will have the fab work done on the arches within a week! I think it will take longer but I like the sound of it. Then I need to see if the guy I know will do the paint work. He wants to see the car after the metal work first, I guess to see if the jobs decent or not before he gets it, fingers crossed he will take it on. I'm guessing I will likely need most of the car sprayed for it to be right.

Got this heap dropped off for the fab work on Monday with the help of my mate and his truck. Ended up having to remove the front bumper to get the car on and it still only just went on. 20190128_185609_zpshsduwuzj.jpg My mate thinks the car will be done in a week so he should be bashing on with it. Hopefully have some pics soon.

hahahaha that guy was a right chump wasnt he mate. The base wasnt that hard to find surely. It was stressful though!

When we got home he tried it on with the price adding more onto the bill trying to tell me it didnt include vat in the price. Theres no way that guy was declaring any of the stuff he was up to. Anyway i said to him listen theres nothing extra getting added onto the price but seen as you did a good job with the car i will give you an extra tenner. He mumbled something and took it. then hounded me with messages to leave him some feedback on shipley. He did have a mint recovery truck mind i will give him that.

Little update on the car. i messaged my mate the other night to ask him if he had made a start on the car. He said the car was looking like alot more work than he thought it was going to be  and said he didnt think he had time to fit it inbetween the other jobs hes got booked in already. Ended up getting in touch with another m sport guy about it and that was looking like an option. I went  down to see my mate and i hes still going to do it now. i gave him the chance to leave it if he didnt want to do it but he said hes going to do it but it will take a bit longer than he first thought.

Edited by Bean

Yeah that guy wasn’t all there mate, the camp was very very easy to find!! Wish I could hit the rewind button and not even tell you a out the car though ha! Should’ve taken the ear bashing off my wife and just bought it back myself 

I only ever took the sump off and there was metal swarf in the bottom of it. Its still sat in the garage though, with a few other engines next to it now haha. Maybe one day, the head was meant to be ported and polished so I could maybe get a bit of a look at that to check.

On the dc2 I messaged my mate yesterday to see how he's getting on and the steel hadn't landed yet :( I asked for him to use Zintec sheet steel rather than the usual steel sheet you can get anywhere so it is taking a bit longer. The Zintec stuff has a light zinc coating on it, like galv but not as thick so that it still welds nice. Its much more resistant to corrosion and better than spraying zinc primer on steel your self. I've left off cuts outside for months before and they don't rust. Its more expensive but its the stuff to use if you want a proper job.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more rust guys!!!

7vYFgRi.jpg

n7i1fEU.jpg

new sill clamped in place and a start on the inner arch/ inner sill end

AvDSX0D.jpg

inner arch made and mostly welded in.

GAjK5pe.jpg

i think the inner arch is all finished now but no more updated pics.

Edited by Bean