• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

WOW, that's savage! Mental work going on here fair play to you!

I cant take credit for this my mates doing it now, ive seen my arse with it. Costing a few quid mind, but it will be great to get it back all solid without killing myself underneath it.

Im on with this little project for now, a bit of a break from cars.

40292736103_bd757727e9_k.jpgNc50 by Bean Beano, on Flickr

32315523617_7a8148c390_k.jpgNc50 by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Edited by Bean
17 minutes ago, Calum122 said:

Honda Express, lovely! I really want a C90

hahaha yeah. I picked it up from an old guy locally for a good price. Never had a road bike before but it seems fun to fly about on. My dad had a c90 when i was a kid i remember taking it on the beach. My mate had a c70 when we were at 6th form we used to take it out in the fields after they had just been cut in summer, great fun!

I can see the express turning into a full resto job!

My mates got a mint qt 50 with under 1k miles on it, looks very similar to the express.

Edited by Bean
22 hours ago, Pikey009 said:

I can’t get over how much rot is in that car mate 

Plenty like this mate, this is what they are like when you cut into them. Most would just get ground back on the arches then lump of filler then looks good for 6 months.

One arch almost finished.

32339452627_9e682c20bd_k.jpgArches by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Hes done a great job on this so far even  the inner arch hes shaped and done it properly so it looks original.

some pieces for underneath including the back of the sill.

47309856011_1bb569184f_z.jpgTeg arch update by Bean Beano, on Flickr

and from underneath, you can see hes done a few more pieces including part of the end of the fllor pan, where the rta bush mounts, and that bit on the end of the fllor pan with the strenthener piece in it.

40344966983_3d5a0c28bd_b.jpgTeg arch update by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Also redone a bit down from the arch which i think the bumper rests against as it has a rubber bit that sticks out.

47309855991_84856519b0_b.jpgTeg arch update by Bean Beano, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Its been a good while since any updates but i got the floor pan cut out the donor teg and welded into the other car. Then got the car back from my mates unit.

48177852201_d3fa8dff15_b.jpgDc2 by Bean Beano, on Flickr

and back in the garage

48177842196_6dcac3f5ad_k.jpgDc2 by Bean Beano, on Flickr

I then started cleaning up inside the boot as there was quite alot of surface rust

48177917472_552c7b49f0_k.jpgDc2 by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Ground it all to clean metal with a flap disc in a grinder, then used a wire wheel in a die grinder for some areas and a really small wire bit in another die grinder for bits like the spot welds.

48177841746_94d4105038_k.jpgDc2 by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Wired it all down with degreaser, a few times and hoovered it all out then applyed some Bilt hamber hydrate 80.
I havnt got a pic of that yet. Next to to carry on with the rest of the floor pan then spray it all with epoxy primer. then its all nice and clean.

• 4 months later...

Ive been mega slacking on this again! After getting it back from the arches been done i just couldnt be arsed really. I got into a pinball machine restoration i picked up and really enjoyed doing that.

Anyway jumped back onto the teg last week.

This arrived

49050480946_3b29fe681e_h.jpgParts by Bean Beano, on Flickr

which contained a few goodies

49039031421_98bfa49c24_h.jpgBoost by Bean Beano, on Flickr

I bought a mint Evo 8 turbo years ago which only had running in miles on it i have had stashed away.
The turbo elbow is new as is the downpipe
49039031871_0627e940db_h.jpgBoost by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Thats the stock Evo turbo elbow vs the stainless one it should flow alot better.

49038529053_fad2fa73d2_h.jpgBoost by Bean Beano, on Flickr

49039244647_85db68c84b_h.jpgBoost by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Im just fitted these parts so far to mock things up to see what else i need to order or modify. My decat is a M2 one so thats adjustable but it has teh flange on it which Honda use for the donut gaskets so ive cut that off and prepped the pipe for a new 2 bolt stainless flange which is on its way with a heap of other bits n bobs ive ordered.

Everything seems to fit really well so far

49039031171_22ec677e22_h.jpgBoost by Bean Beano, on Flickr

49039031241_7e5d603a28_h.jpgBoost by Bean Beano, on Flickr

49039244657_278f36aadd_h.jpgBoost by Bean Beano, on Flickr

So plans are to probably just run the internal wastegate as i cant see the need in running twin gates on a low boost setup it just seems like overkill and a waste of cash and fabbing up 2 screamers ect. So i might buy 2 v band flanges and clamps weld them to a short piece of pipe and block them off. or If i decided to go external i could T them off into one bigger WG.

Ive found two hairline cracks in the mani (typical Race-Tech). A local guy i know works at a welding and inspection place so hes going to have a look at it for me. I could see if he will dye pen it to check for any further cracks. I will likely make a brace to help support things after the repair. Hes also going to weld me a short piece of intercooler ali pipe onto the turbo hot side as it has a flange on it.
If i end up chasing cracks on this mani i might make a jig for it and have a go at making a new one out of mild steel.

Had a guy round tonight i sort of know he works at a local welding place that does NDT and stuff. He says the turbo mani repair and welding a bit of pipe onto the compressor housing is no bother and ive showed him how i want my intercooler so i might need some custom tanks making up for it and pipe work sorted for it. Hes also got a CNC lathe so said he could make me a nice piece up for the turbo housing. I will probably make the piping up my self do all the cuts ect and just tape it all together then get him to tack it all then test fit and get him to fully weld it up. Im not confident enough doing a heap of ali tig welding.
So i wipped of the compressor housing and the wheel is mint, not a mark on it. Also ive searched the part number stamped into the turbo and turns out ive actually got an Evo 6 GSR 10.5T turbo not an evo 8 turbo like i thought. Not sure what difference this will really make. I will just give it a go and see how it gets on. If its too laggy i will looking into other options.

49056601032_1bc891b5df_h.jpgTurbo wheel by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Pinball you say! incoming!

Edited by Bean

Just for Callum122

Its a Williams Big Guns machine. Ive played it for hours and hours now its really good fun. ive never really been into pinball as there was never any round my way. I play on them a bit when i go to the retro gaming arcade events and stuff i go to but i never thought i would own one as they are alot more expensive than you think. Especially compared to the arcade machine prices.

49014525248_3f93605eb6_h.jpgBig guns by Bean Beano, on Flickr

49014525893_c64dd3c97b_h.jpgBig guns by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Ive actually machine polished that play field, it really brought the colours out. Ive polished all the chrome too, New flippers, all new rubbers, star posts, new troll decals, new balls, various soldering repairs, new targets, loads of new bulbs and lots and lots of cleaning as it was pretty manky.

Ignore the state of the room.

49015054131_73595642a9_h.jpgBig guns by Bean Beano, on Flickr

I really enjoyed working on this and i can just about get my head around how things work on them. Theres alot more to them electronically than i thought and this machine is from 1987 same age as me! Theres still a couple of little bits it needs and a few odd parts i need to order but it plays great. ive got a little of the art work to touch up too.

Edited by Bean
9 hours ago, Calum122 said:

Yeah that looks the part. I would love an arcade machine, but I wonder whether or not I'd ever play it, or if its just a novelty thing...

To be honest i dont play them much, but i do like them and they are going up in value too. You used to be able to pick machines up pretty cheap but i think they are more popular now the whole retro thing has got quite a following. When ive got an empty house i like to fire them all up have a few cans and have  a few goes, you cant beat the old sounds they make and when they start getting a bit warm the smell of old CRT monitors,  awesome!

9 hours ago, Calum122 said:

I heard, the jump between turbos on the earlier and later ones are mental. Is what I heard.

But for conservative power 300ish you sould be laughing I would have thought.

I think the Evo 9 is the turbo to have but theres so many options now you can just buy the billet wheels and the compressor housings to match them. I will stick with what ive got and see how it goes. I need to work out the best way to block those twin waste gate ports off. I think if i buy a couple of v band flanges, clamps and a bit of pipe i can make some short stubs up with a bit of pipe welded onto the flanges then cut a circle and weld the ends of the pipe up. That way im not modifying the manifold so ive got the option in the future of going external or if i sell it the guy who buys it can.

A few parts have started to arrive.

49060698297_468274a22b_h.jpgParts by Bean Beano, on Flickr
Turbo to manifold gasket from ID Workz i wasnt paying Mitsubushi 35-40 quid for that.
Some bolts to attach the downpipe to the turbo elbow
Some new studs for the turbo
oil feed fitting with i believe the correct 1.8mm restictor which im not quite sure is the right thread size now ive seen it.
and some stainless washers.

I received a few more parts in the post
Turbo oil feed parts, it came with a non weld sump return fitting but i wont use that as i already have a weld in fitting i will use i just need to buy the right size braided line and a couple of fittings.

49077902293_dcf4c16103_h.jpgBoost updates by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Flange changed on the decat, hopefully i didnt warp it.

49077902303_53bd32a60d_h.jpgBoost updates by Bean Beano, on Flickr

I got the oil switch removed and fitted the new adapter piece in its place then connected everything up. A nice shiny Hamp next to it.

49078651922_d69f92b93c_h.jpgOil line by Bean Beano, on Flickr

I ran the oil feed under the power steering pipe. i will secure it later. The oil line has a little filter screen in it which is a good idea. It could possibly stop anything getting into the turbo and it will be easy to split the line now and again to check it or repalce the filter.

49078632562_118c964899_h.jpgBoost updates by Bean Beano, on Flickr

I used a M12x1.25 to AN4 adapter with a 1.8mm restrictor to fit the evo turbo. i must have every size turbo oil feed adapter you can buy in my tool box now.

49078633077_2e25db8bb2_h.jpgBoost updates by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Ive also marked up where i will likely fit my oil return fitting into the sump. New oil return gasket and flange fitted onto the bottom of the turbo.

49078428071_e4832c1190_h.jpgBoost updates by Bean Beano, on Flickr

Thats about where im up to now. Ive had a little mock up with a civic half rad. I will probably remove the standard rad mountings and move them to fit the civic rad when im happy everything will fit. Probably need to order a decent thick alloy civic rad at some point. I think im going to try get an intercooler core with pipes coming out the back of it rather than the side, then try fit one to the side of the rad and the other near the turbo then pie cut some alloy pipe up to make a smooth bend for the turbo hot side pipe.

Edited by Bean
  • 1 month later...

No updates on here as i sickened my self fighting on with a yaris engine swap before xmas. Did all the work then the engine turned out to have a massivly gone head gasket so sulked about that for a while instead.
I local guy i know did some repairs on the manifold for me and a also welded a bit of pipe onto the turbo compressor housing for me. It took him a while to get round it getting them done but hes done a great job.

only got comp housing pics for now.

49351942566_3094319c5c_h.jpgTurbo housing welded by Bean Beano, on Flickr