fabrication of starlet turbo kits

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure if they were cheap enough and decent quality you would have a decent enough market for turbo kits.

Add on all the other things Dan said plus no one has mentioned these and this is where you would make big money and they would sell like crazy.

Low Low Seat rails. If you made those and sold them at a respectable price Im pretty sure 80% of the people with Starlets would buy a set.

Gotta say, having read this thread, gotta agree with the suggestions by Daniel G and OllieH, some great shouts in there.

N/A manifolds too is a good call.

Harness bars have been promised by several traders over the years and never delivered.

Sump guards could be another one - only ever seen one and it weighed a freaking tonne from what I was told, so something strong and durable but not JUST as heavy might interest the lanes rally guys or the lows y0 guys.

Phil.

now after the above suggestions......i'll offer you a little free business advice just to get you in that frame of mind:

- start with one main high demand simple product or a few decent selling simple products first to gauge response/demand, build your "brand" and test actual customer/everyday durability....it appears that n/a manifolds and seat rails are in decent demand based on the above, which would be a good starting point

- display your products with high quality pictures and at different angles...even fitted to the specific car they are intended for if possible

- find out exactly what the customers want before you make a product that does not sell....ask questions, do little surveys......example from above n/a manifolds---what design (4-2-1 or 4-1), size of runners preferred, stock location exhaust fitment, stock a/c, p/s and radiator friendly, etc.

- calculate as best as possible the production cost for each unit and your profit margin on each item you intend to sell...that would allow you to price it accordingly without "guessing" and determine if it is worthwhile to make and if reasonable customers are willing to buy it...example above, no one is going to buy a n/a manifold for gbp1000 :D for a starlet ----remember to take into account labour, raw materials, electricity, delivery/transportation, etc.

- potential demand does not necessarily equate to foregone sales---seldom does

- avoid borrowing if you can when you start up...try as best to do it out of pockets for now until you can gauge demand/sales

- reinvest some of the sales monies back into the business..do not tie up all your cash flow in slow turning stock and excessive stock

- undertake as much testing and research and development as you can BEFORE you sell anything---improve design, reduce production costs, make sure it fits and doesn't hit/stop/block anything, test durability, use decent quality material, etc.

- set up decent jigs and check them from time to time for fitment tolerances

- use decent quality materials to manufacture your products,,,do not manufacture crap, it will just ruin your brand and name---this is not 1902 when the internet was non-existent,,, word travels fast especially bad word

- if you provide product warrantee, honor them IF the product is at fault---be careful, some people will try to pull a fast one on you

- provide good before, during and after sales services....PLEASE respond in a time manner to potential and actual customer emails/pm/whatsapps/etc....you see this last point here, this is where a lot of businesses actually fail...it is very important....just take a look at the feedback sections on here

- if you plan to ship overseas, try to find decent rates and reliable courier/post offices...again, keep in contact with buyers regarding shipping dates, tracking numbers, shipping quotes, etc

that's just the tip of the ice berg,,,much more to a "successful" business

if you go ahead with your plans, i wish you well :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by gorganl2000

I'm based in northeast Scotland near Aberdeen!

The thing I'm desperate to make is a independent rear suspension kit!

I honestly think I couldn't make enough of them!!

Cheers for all your input guys it's great appreciated :)

The brand would be staying "Guess Workx"

I'm based in northeast Scotland near Aberdeen!

The thing I'm desperate to make is a independent rear suspension kit!

I honestly think I couldn't make enough of them!!

Cheers for all your input guys it's great appreciated :)

The brand would be staying "Guess Workx"

easy install kit ha ha

]would be great tho e10 style

Dude if you could make up rear caliper bracket which allowed you to bolt a better caliper on, which still kept the original disc and handbrake cable.. that would be mega.

Some VW calipers from the motor factors are only like 40 quid.

Dude if you could make up rear caliper bracket which allowed you to bolt a better caliper on, which still kept the original disc and handbrake cable.. that would be mega.

Some VW calipers from the motor factors are only like 40 quid.

One up for this we need some better aesthetically pleasing calipers for the rear :)

A bracket for some kind of Wilwood, AP Racing or similar caliper with integrated handbrake lever for cable, of course one that keeps the factory bias and all that good stuff.

The business advice you just got there was pretty much spot on.

Before you go mental and throw thousands at trying to make an IRS set up, build your image and revenue stream.

You need the smaller items popping off the shelves to fund the bigger jobs.

Now go make harness bars, panhard rods and seat rails.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk