Josh's EP91 1997 Glanza V build thread

Hello this is my EP91 96 spec glanza purchased the car on 27/08/2016, I have been waiting 3 months to find the right one to start the journey on.

Current mods:
K&N Air filter
Front strut brace
45mm Lowing springs all round
After Market alloys
Boost Gauge

HKS Turbo timer
Full De-Cat exhaust system

s-l1600_zpsbp3dyebj.jpg

s-l1600%203_zpslpu9vzoc.jpg

s-l1600%202_zps7in253lf.jpg

tin4_zpspronyjet.jpg

Edited by wakeabby14
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys/gals this is my glanza v turbo I have only had her since the 27/08/2016

Current mods:

K&N Air filter

Front strut brace

45mm Lowing springs all round

After Market alloys

Boost Gauge

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w454/Joshua_Wakefield/s-l1600_zpsbp3dyebj.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w454/Joshua_Wakefield/s-l1600%203_zpslpu9vzoc.jpg

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w454/Joshua_Wakefield/s-l1600%202_zps7in253lf.jpg

If you copy the IMG tag instead of the link, the pics show up in the thread :)

Update Windows Tinted today looks a lot smarter!

tint_zps0b4so9ry.jpg

tint3_zpszf2irmh2.jpg

Got some goodies coming in a few days just ordered...
Momo steering wheel
Universal quick release steering wheel boss kit

Oil catch can
Front mounted intercooler

WIll post more images when work is done

Thanks for the info Starlet__sr edited now bud :)

Edited by wakeabby14
  • 3 weeks later...

Small up-date been busy recently so not had much work done, Just fitted a new MOMO steering wheel and also a tow hook on the back, I have a sparco tow strap to fit on the front too.
I also get my FMIC fitted on the 22nd so cant wait for that, plus my oil catch can will be fitted once the top mount has been replaced!

14408327_938262499618809_1137063001_o_zp

14375189_938262279618831_1245283793_o_zp

Edited by wakeabby14
  • 9 months later...

So after almost a year i am doing a very very overdue update. 

Im going to lead you through the progress of my build over the last 10-11 months since purchase of my glanza, I have taken quite a few photos i hope you all enjoy this build thread i will be keeping it more frequent from now on as photo bucket has kind of screwed over so many build threads,  you all need something to read and look at when you get bored haha!

I am going to do multiple posts to make the thread look more full due to the time frame since my last update.

So first of all carrying on...

Even since i have been into cars I always thought front mounted intercoolers made such a more attractive appearance to the looks of the car in general, Not to mention the performance benefits of course so i got my self on ebay and got my self a cheap but decent intercooler kit i got around to fitting it and here is a snap shot. 

oBsm9Kq.jpg

Straight after the intercooler was fitted i could tell it had made a difference and it was also making those sexual flutter noises :D

Edited by wakeabby14
Update/ grammar correction

Next update was to remove the old top mounted intercooler mounts and stuff on top to make a little more room in the bay. Also at this point i thought to my self it would be a good time to change the rocker cover gasket as im guessing it had not been changed for a while and i got on with that. While the rocker cover was off i decided to spend many man hours with a drill and wire brush attachment, wet and dry sandpaper you name it to clean up the horrendious rocker cover and give it a fresh coat of paint in white. As you can see an Oil catch can was also installed around this time frame as well.

bMho9Uj.jpg

Turned out pretty well and looked a lot better than what it did before so thumbs up for a productive day on that note.

Edited by wakeabby14

Next update...

After doing a bit of research and reading loads of info on many different forums i decided to take the plunge and get a new ECU. At the time i decided to go for a JAM ecu as it had good reviews from people and i had wanted this mod for a while due to the limitations of the stock ECU.. Top speed, fuel cut ect ect..

Saw fellow user Glanzanut22 was selling one at the perfect time i was looking for one and snapped it off his hands straight away.

yvhTeIm.jpg

Got the ecu fitted and made a nice difference straight away with a more aggressive map.

After a few weeks i was starting to get bored of the power and i became hungry for more, I started to look around for a HKS actuator but before i was going to bid on one on ebay i decided just to make sure i checked my current one before i wasted £50. I looked on the car and to my surprise i already had one so that put a smile on my face! I upped the boost to 0.8 Bar and noticed a large difference in power and left it at 0.8 bar for a while..

Edited by wakeabby14

Next update..

So this is the point i really started getting into serious interest in wanting more power and also putting a lot of time into research on the forum. At this time the job i was in (call centre) we went through a quiet few months and some of the bonuses of the job included us running dual screen monitor set ups on every desk and not having filters on the majority of websites as you can all imagine i was on UKSO all day long reading everything that came up getting my self clued up on starlets and what people have experienced. Youtube was also not blocked at work so i would watch Glanza/gt turbo videos and Mightycarmods video's all day long just having a great old time... Anyway im getting slightly off topic here sorry haha.

Due to having so much time to read i could see the stock manifold was very restrictive and could cause engine problems running too much boost through it, So i got my self a cheap toyosports manifold and me and my brother fitted it one afternoon.  It was great to be honest felt the power difference and had piece of mind that i could run a bit more boost without risking any damage to my engine.

Mu23e4w.jpg

Edited by wakeabby14

Went to a few car meets and im always the only glanza there so would always get some attention just because we all know starlets are awesome and because they are pretty rare in my area so i loved getting that treatment of like "oh you seen that glanza" or " not seen a glanza in ages nice to see one locally and turning up to meets" Added a few stickers of course as we all do.

Here are a few shots

oEUiY2q.jpg

0Ql90Ge.jpg

decided to give the car a good wash and service ect, Changed the oil and oil filter and also turned the boost up on the HKS actuator to 1.00 bar as was getting bored of power again. Nice difference but did not feel as big as the jump from 0.6 bar to 0.8bar probs just because of the CT9 running out of puff a bit. Gave the car a good vac and clean all the windows just quality of life bits.

Next update...

This is where it went down hill a bit and caused me a lot of stress and money... So here we go...

After wanting one for a while and been very very excited about it, i decided to get a triple pillar pod for the glanza, Purchased it all fine arrived.Then ordered my self to go with it an oil pressure gauge and also oil temp gauge. did all the wiring and got everything put in ready for the oil sandwich plate. So i ordered an oil sandwich plate and this is where it started.

I knew they were a bit of a pain to fit in the first place due to it catching on the power steering bracket and would need sanding down with a dremel. So to start the painful process the bolt that held the power steering on was seized and would not move so i was like no problem i will remove the oil filter, plug it up with kitchen roll and sand it from underneath. started off ok get it sanded down a bit progression slowed down but got there in the end and the sandwich plate fitted fine.

This part is kind of my bad but also the manufactures fault also as the quality of the plate sucked dick to put it nicely. So i managed to get the pressure sensor and also the temp sensor in fine but still needed to block off one of the holes so the oil would not spill out everywhere.

While putting in the bolt that came with it due to the plate and the bolt being soft alloy the bolt cross threaded the hole and got stuck in i tried pulling it out and also unscrewing it but did not budge, so i was like if i cant get it out it should be fine and wont leak...
After driving it for a little while i arrived home it started leaking very slightly so i put rubber cement around it and that fixed it for about 2 days, so in the morning before work the next day i started the car and the pressure of the oil pump caused the bolt to fly out of the oil sandwich plate housing and spat 3-4L of oil all over the road out side my house and caused a huge mess, i had no sand to clean it up so i had to use about £35 worth of protein powder to soak it up so i could clean it.

This photo was about 2 meters across and my neighbours was not to happy about it as it rained on the same night and there was a huge oil slick road out side my house..

JpECRO2.jpg

pbqKplz.jpg

Edited by wakeabby14

Next update

After all the problems with the sandwich plate i decided to leave it for now and maybe do it again in the future when i could be bothered. after a few weeks i started noticing a very small leak of oil coming from my cam belt side, a few days later it got to the point where the leak was too bad so i had to take the glanza off the road. I did some research and people was saying it could be the sump, crank seal, cracked oil pump or the rocker cover it was leaking from.
So i replaced the rocker cover gasket and it carried on leaking. at this point i was going through 3-4L of oil every 5 days and every time i parked up there was a large oil puddle under the car.
At this point i just purchased a new cam belt, waster pump, oil pump and crank seal.
I had not done a cam belt before and it was a big job so i just took it to my local garage to do the job and check where the leak was coming from.
I was now thinking yes my problems are about to be fixed and i can start driving the glanza again and stop using  public transport. The garage called me on the day of the job to notify me they could not see where the leak was coming from as there was too much oil and it needed to be steam cleaned i said ok no problem give me an update, few hours later they called again to say they found it and it was the crank seal that had gone, but said that the crank seal i provided was wrong, I checked my email where i ordered it from (ID workz) and they accidentally sent me the wrong side they sent gear box side not cam pully side, so the garage said they would have to store my car at the garage until the part came in.
I called Id workz and they said sorry for the problem and sent me the right seal and also refunded me for the inconvenience. SO BIG SHOUT OUT FOR ID WORKZ! Part arrived, problem solved the garage got my car done and i had a tasty £180 labour charge to pay but i was just glad it was over.
so after all that the glanza was off the road for 10 days and cost me around £500 over all, thats including parts labour and also train fares haha. so not the best time.

FuU5cFs.jpg

Edited by wakeabby14

Next update...

I decided it was time to change my manifold as i hated the look of the toyosports one and it was terrible quality anyway. After looking for a while i found someone selling a zisco ramhorn manifold and i have wanted one of these for such a long time i thought they was beautiful it had no cracks and was in decent condition so i purchased it spent a few hours with the dremel cleaning it up and painted it with high temp manifold paint. Was mega happy with the outcome of the manifold.

yh43d5C.jpg

So a few days later I had a day off and so did my brother so we decided it was time to change the manifold... Everything was going fine until i inspected the CT9 and it had a 3 cracks in the wastegate, one of the cracks was so large it went behind the penny and half way down the exhaust exit so i decided we would not try and fit a bad condition turbo and take the car off the road again and find a new turbo. At this point i thought it was a good idea to try and find a CT9 hybrid but after looking around for a few days no one had one and no CT9's were available for sale and i really needed my car back on the road.

6rr8NPA.jpg

After a few more days of stressing out i saw 5e colin was selling a TF035 turbo kit with manifold De-cat and turbo with braided oil lines, i messaged him and we came to a deal we was both happy with and a new turbo and kit was ordered!
The kit arrived in a few days and i was mega pleased with it and was described perfectly by colin and his service was brilliant could not ask for an easier purchase he answered all my questions and i was over the moon my car would be back on the road.

Got the kit fitted and the response i had from the TF035HM was amazing the torque was miles better the pull was much harder and it felt like a whole different car. From that point i decided i would never return to a CT9. I also decided it was time to ditch the crappy oil stained white rocker cover and polish it all up and go for the bare metal look and it looks miles better. Here are a few pictures

ofg7gbq.jpg

g1m5Fn6.jpg

1iyctaZ.jpg

My door handle also snapped off while shopping what a bummer

XlkGWaF.jpg

Rolling shot from static royals meet in Scarborough the turn out was fantastic, but only one other glanza showed up but never saw the owner of the car would of been nice to have a chat! ah well maybe next time! fantastic day non the less! Gave the car a good wash before hand came up nice considering her age ;)

w1iV2mE.jpg

p7FtfHD.jpg

KIkkFND.jpg

RUxPS4X.jpg

Edited by wakeabby14

Next update

Decided it was time to get the coilovers on the rear sorted as one was leaking and knocking badly, had a look around and found a pair of D2 rear coilovers for £150 so snapped them up and fitted them. No kidding its a stiff ride on d2's haha but im used to it now and feels better to drive

BiRC5KV.jpg