Cranking, but not sparking......

Hi guys,

My project, a 1971 Triumh Spitfire with a 4EFE engine transplant has decided to break down on me today (so much for replacing the original engine for Toyota reliability....).

Anyway, I was out driving today, all going well, top down, nice day etc, slowed down to take a roundabout and I heard a strange sound, dont know what it was, after which the engine died and I rolled to a halt.

The engine will crank over, the fuel pump whizzes up but there is no spark at the plugs. I shorted the diagnostics plug and got the codes 12 & 42 but I believe this due to the car being stationary. Checked all fuses, changed out the battery, still nothing, shorted the diagnostic plug again and the engine light blinks continuously fast now, no code sequence.

When cranking the engine the oil light doesnt go out either??

I'm hoping this isnt a distributor/coil issue as the dizzy, with the orientation of the engine (north/south) means the dizzy is too close to the bulkhead to remove without having to lift out the engine and gearbox!! :cray:

Please tell me its someting simple I've overlooked??

Hi guys,

My project, a 1971 Triumh Spitfire with a 4EFE engine transplant has decided to break down on me today (so much for replacing the original engine for Toyota reliability....).

Anyway, I was out driving today, all going well, top down, nice day etc, slowed down to take a roundabout and I heard a strange sound, dont know what it was, after which the engine died and I rolled to a halt.

The engine will crank over, the fuel pump whizzes up but there is no spark at the plugs. I shorted the diagnostics plug and got the codes 12 & 42 but I believe this due to the car being stationary. Checked all fuses, changed out the battery, still nothing, shorted the diagnostic plug again and the engine light blinks continuously fast now, no code sequence.

When cranking the engine the oil light doesnt go out either??

I'm hoping this isnt a distributor/coil issue as the dizzy, with the orientation of the engine (north/south) means the dizzy is too close to the bulkhead to remove without having to lift out the engine and gearbox!! :cray:

Please tell me its someting simple I've overlooked??

Found my problem, a snapped timing belt protruding through the bottom of the plastic cover is not something you want to see and would be a major contribution to an engine not starting.

Thanks for the help and tips, think I better take this one over to the engine forum.