Suspension conversion

one option id considered was a 4 link system fabricated to fit with a very basic rear axle setup.

by the time you do all the fabricating as cheaply as possible and source the necessary parts (brakes etc) to make it work,

1k minimum more like 1.5k

2k would be comfortable.

Phil

that's going to be a lot of custom work and parts....the cost may make this prohibitive for the benefit you will get from it

for the average joe, it may be better to spend less money on coilovers, tires, bushings, arb, braces, etc.

Seems that way was trying to see what ideas people had as I was planning to build this car for just track days consulted apart of Neils team and he said its all time patience and headaces his was fitted with puma s1600 rear

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Edited by bajansuperman

one option id considered was a 4 link system fabricated to fit with a very basic rear axle setup.

by the time you do all the fabricating as cheaply as possible and source the necessary parts (brakes etc) to make it work, 

2k would be comfortable.

Phil

Thanks phil

Seems that way was trying to see what ideas people had as I was planning to build this car for just track days consulted apart of Neils team and he said its all time patience and headaces his was fitted with puma s1600 rear Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

and as you know here in Barbados, getting the parts and the custom work will seriously drive the price up...and actually neil's starlet was the first that came to mind which is some serious engineering and fabrication work that is going to run you some major $$$ even for a far more simple set up

i'm not sure if you can take the rear floor pan and gas tank off an ep85 and transfer it to the ep82??...at least that would give you a base for independent suspension, but then again the costs involved...just using some basic calculations i'd say you looking at BDS$5,000/10,000 plus depending on what you want to do, who does the fabrication, importing items, etc...........BUT if one is going to go through all that trouble, then it would make sense to try to adapt a better rear suspension set up from maybe a honda or some other model???!!!

that's why i suggested the coil-overs, braces, struts, roll bars, tires, etc....may land you at the lower cost point and give you much needed improvements with minimal downtime

PS--just for the UK users the currency conversion is about gbp1 = BDS$2.55

Edited by gorganl2000

RobSR had an IRS setup using bits from various Corollas and Levins but he never used it before selling.

the ae100/ae110 rear suspension set up actually crossed my mind too....but still a fair bit of effort and cost

i just dont see an "easy" way to achieve it....that's why i think most people have just upgraded the stock set up over the years and with decent results too

a proper fabricated independent rear set up would be cool though :thumbsup::thumbsup:

the ae100/ae110 rear suspension set up actually crossed my mind too....but still a fair bit of effort and cost

i just dont see an "easy" way to achieve it....that's why i think most people have just upgraded the stock set up over the years and with decent results too

a proper fabricated independent rear set up would be cool though  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

That's the idea I had but money wise your right, but if I had the tools I would attempt it with guidance

Its not just fabbing it up its getting all the roll centers and other stuff correct.

If you didnt care much for all that, mounting it all up wouldnt be that bad if you could weld, id just buy the rear subframe frame any ae92/101/111 that might need narrowing to align with the eps rear chassis rails then wang that together with the car, that then gives you your hubs and 6 arms mounted to your car. The arms can either be made adjustable (2 are stock for rear tow) or shortened/lengthened to suit then a bush made up to fit in the eps swing arm mount for the trailing rod.

Then just a case of cutting the top mounts out and welding rolla ones in. At the right height obviously.

Then just brake lines and handbrake cables.

Easy peasy 😂

• 3 weeks later...

Neils team and he said its all time patience and headaces his was fitted with puma s1600 rear

That's actually a precious info that I've never been able to get from Neil's team.

I will be working on the rear beam next year. But for now, we only plan to enlarge original one and add vitz RS hub/brake system. changing to independent would probably better. But if not good, it will be a pain to find why !

Edited by azerty

lionel, as said earlier, the amount of custom fabrication and work that went into neil's car, it may simply not be worth the cost/effort for you in your class,, and i'm sure getting the building details would be even more stressful as the group tries to protect its competitive advantage locally----that car falls into a fiercely competitive rally group where stage times are seperated by tenths/hundredths of a second usually between the top 3 cars

your idea sounds reasonable as the stock rear brakes are a total waste, so any improvement should net you some returns

lololol...totally agreed

this topic has come up quite a few times over the year...apart from neil and some rear or twin engine set-up (i think richard posted pics some time ago), i can't recall many others trying it

bimotoman did this on his twin engined starlet leave the engine out and it can still be used with blanking cvs

richardC what you think :):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edited by 5e colin
  • 3 weeks later...

2k would be comfortable.

Phil

will it be any benefit over standard ? 4 link would still retain the fixed rear axle wouldn't it ?