EP82 20v conversion Help

Hi, Im new to on this forum. Not sure if this the correect section to post this?

I'm in the middle of doing a 20v conversion on a ep82, I need advise on driveshafts. I have the engine hanging in the engine bay, I have tried several different toyota shafts with no luck yet of matching two to suit lengths needed. Anybody done this and know what combination of shafts work? Making custom mounts isnt a problem.

Thanks

Depending on how you mount the engine depends on your options.

If youre willing to cut the chassis at the cambelt end you can use stock starlet shafts.

If not and you opt to mount the gearbox under the chassis rail you can run a ae92-101-111 driveshaft on the engine side but you will need to modify the hubs to suit a different bearing and corolla stub axle so the CV joint fits. The otherside still needs to be custom though

Option 3. Mount the engine how ever and use Custom shafts with starlet outer CV joints.

I went with option 2 after snapping a home brew driveshaft

Thanks for reply, thats very helpful

I looked at cutting cambelt side but it looks like there wouldnt be chassis leg left after to clear everything, would need major strengthening too.

Option 2 sounds good, when you say custom did you have one made up? I looked at bearing/stub axle combinations and couldnt find one to work out on paper, is there a straight swap or does hub need machining?

Also have been thinking would there be a slightly longer lower arm to suit ep82 chassis giving a little bit more room to get a oem shaft combo to work out

I didnt fancy cutting mine either but it has been done by some people so thought id mention it.

I cant remember the exact sizing but i used a VW passat bearing of some description machined the hub out to 72mm iirc and that allowed me to fit a slightly shortened ae92 stub axle. I do now need a washer under the axle nut though but thats not an issue.

Yeah i had the short gearbox shaft made. The ae92 shaft i planned to use was about 30mm too long! I did read that ae82's migbt have had shorter shafts but not sure.

If you google custom driveshafts a company pops up that does them for £190 i think. Mine was done by some rally firm way back and was rated to about 450hp at a cost of £225 without any joints but i went though a separate company thats now closed down.

As for wider track wishbone i would say none that i know of but a lad on here fitted some new balljoints and lower arms and reckons his driveshaft was then falling out as it had pushed the track further out. But we dont know what theyre from!

This is good info, I have trawled through several forums and nobody talks details.

Thats interesting about the balljoints and lower arms, there might be something there alright. I'll do some digging on that see if I can find something before commiting to a custom shaft.

Shortest shaft I found to date is from an Ae111.

I like to be helpful as i was in your position once and disliked the fact no one would share info then either. If it were a honda there'd be a million and 1 threads on it haha.

The short shaft youre on about isnt the halfshaft from the ae111 levin is it? As finding CV joints for that is impossible. I've got one on my daily and cant find anywhere that does replacements or refurbs them either

Maybe 15 years ago I putsedan Corolla AE82 normal 4A-F hubs to my EP70 Starlet, driveshaft outer joints stubs were too small and I found that Corolla shafts were too long. So I tooked outer joints away from shafts and tryed those to Starlet shafts. Perfect fit, inside bore was same as Starlet, problem solved, don't know AE82 GT joints...