Cutting the axle and adding shims seems a bit pikey to me..

Swap the axle out for a proper IRS setup.

This ones a pic of a mx5 subframe, do away with the rwd stuff, plenty of aftermarket arms etc available, the wheelbase cant be far off, better brake setup, 4x100 stud pattern.

post-9339-0-20439800-1483390929_thumb.jp

This ones a pic of a mx5 subframe, do away with the rwd stuff, plenty of aftermarket arms etc available, the wheelbase cant be far off, better brake setup, 4x100 stud pattern.

Has this ever been done would be sweet for the track

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Cheers Daniel seems quite a lot of work something I couldn't do my self and I don't want to invest to much more , how much roughly do u think to do what u just mentioned ?

It would prob cost well over a grand at a guess dude, welders labour aint cheap.

You dont actually cut the axle. The stub axle is made of 2 plates welded together, You just cut the welds off to split the plates in 2 and bolt them back together with shim in between to allow for camber.

Loads of cars come like it from factory.

Still seems a bit shady to me, when Mikey done his it looked bent as fuck, never seen an alignment printout for it.

Has this ever been done would be sweet for the track

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Dont think so dude, i might get something similar done when i inevitably blow the rear axle yo fuck on the 4paw.

I've been messing with the mx5 subframe idea for a few months now as I work for roadrunner (www.roadrunnerracing.net) I've got loads of bits for it hanging around waiting to be scrapped.

Its possible, but because of the nature of what I want to do and the huge risk of making the handling worse rather than better it needs to be incredibly accurate. Hours of measuring, marking and templates have gone into it allready.

Starlets use trailing arms a solid beam and a panhard rod so there are only 3 strong mounting points on the chassis under the boot floor, as you can figure these are nowhere near the right spacing for an mx subframe so some cutting and plating of chassis legs are needed. (on the 205 it was a lot simpler)

The rear coilovers/springs/shocks mx5 shocks are much much shorter, so I was thinking of maybe trying to do an inboard pushrod type (we use them on the sr2s, it's very compact but you loose a massive amount of suspension travel)

handbrake cables (probably need to be custom)

custom upper and lower arms due to the mx5 having a wider track. iirc it's about 50mm wider each side (that may be the 205 I can't quite remember).

The exhaust would have to change, hubs would need either big through bolts go stop the rear bearings to separate or do as audi do and just bolt in some gutted Cv joints.

It's on hold at the moment due to moneys, Christmas and my brother unexpectedly deciding to get married in some foreign far away land. But once I get going again I'll get some photos.

Edited by roachburger