So I've had my Red starlet about 6 months now and there are some headunit wiring issues im aware of that i need some advice on.

The old stereo seemed to be connected permenent live, bypassing the need to have the ignition in 'on' postition so the radio could be turned on without keys in, and you have to switch it off by the stereo ( knew it shouldnt be like this) - after removing the stereo i found the following things

someone has fitted this rubbish stereo which had no connector block at the end of its wiring to attach to the cars connector , - rather than cut the cables after the toyota to modern stereo iso lead, they have cut it off BEFORE the toyota blocks soldering it cable to cable!

the wiring all looked fine except the 12v ignition and 12v battery where soldered together hence why no keys where needed to turn radio on

anywho i have cut all the crap out so This now leaves me with the toyota wiring coming from dash with just stripped cables at the end (no block connector)

so what i have done so far is i have fitted a modern iso male plug (to allow easy fit of modern stereo) and i have wired this up to the corresponding colours coming out of the cars dash (which are not like for like colours im aware) so i have used this diagram -

ToyotaRadioPlugs.jpg

the problem im having is there is still no power whatsoever to the new stereo so i was wondering if any of you could take a look at the photos ive taken below and check they match the connector block wiring,

(only one i can see that dont match the diagram i followed are - ground wire goes from black - black but i have it wired brown - black)

the reason for this is there is only ONE black coming from the dash (which is taped up) and as rear left positive speaker (unused) is black im assuming that is what that wire is for, as there is no brown wire listed on the diagram im assuming the brown is the ground (dash side)

can anyone shed any light on this by having a look and telling me if the brown wire goes into the largest toyota connector coming out the dash if so atleast i know ive got that part right!

Edited by Miyagigoose

Hi mate,

The colours seem to match up ok for power and ground. Did you remove the negative cable from your battery before doing this? If not then if certain wires touched you could have caused a short which might have blown the fuse or knackered the stereo.

Best check with a multi tester your getting power to the ignition wire

Not sure if the crimp butt connectors are the correct size or not but I would have used red crimps which are suitable for 0.5 - 1.5mm² gauge wire.

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply mate, I did yes , I've checked the radio\ CIG lighter mini fuse in compartment under dash and is fine, is there amy other fuses i should check? fuse in new stereo is fine and working in another car, I'm starting to think the battery 12v is live but the ignition 12v doesn't seem to be getting any power even with ign on