Lost spark, Igniter?

Ok so I've lost spark in my Glanza, Bare with me while I do my best to explain from the start.
Yesterday I fit my JDM EP engine bay dress up kit, In the process i snap the breather from the rocker cover to the inlet, Ooops, Temporarily block the rocker cover hole with an o2 sensor bung till I can get a catch can on there. Finish putting the kit on, Start the car up, instantly revs to 3k, Bummer. Remembered i didn't plug the breather hole on the intake so i go and block that off too with some pipe and a bolt.

Start the car up and idle is now at 4-500 RPM and not the usual 900RPM ish, I assumed it was down to the breather as that was the only thing different so I left it and didn't think much else about it, Well today I went for a drive, not a spirited one. Did Bradford to Leeds without any issue, parked car for half an hour and set off home, I'm coasting in 5th down Stanningly bypass, Look at the clocks and my RPM is at 0 (I'm rolling in 5th)

Car won't start at all, + a few hours cars recovered back to my mates and we're looking around, No spark at the plugs, Coil is getting 11.6V, Nothing is coming out of the coil though, Stuck a screwdriver in the king lead and there was no arcing from it. Checked the ground on the coil and it seems good (assuming it does ground through the firewall bolt?) Having a read up on google and it seems to be pointing to the Igniter as that sends a signal to the coil I believe. Apparently this would also explain why the RPM's showed 0 even though i was doing 50 or so in 5th. Everything was fine before I put the dress up kit on, Maybe I've messed up the earth on the igniter and killed the unit or something? Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance, Sorry for the long post!

Update time,

Checked the earths on the coil and the ignitor to the firewall, they were spot on, (With the dress up kit so rules out the kit) Checked resistances on all the HT leads and the King lead just for good measure and everything good there.

Coil was still getting it's 12v but wasn't receiving the pulse from the ignitor and the injectors weren't receiving a signal from it either, I believe they also get one from it so tested them, Anyway they weren't getting one either. RPM gauge doesn't move when the engine is cranked. Time to find a new ignitor, Luckily there is a starlet breaker only 5 mins away from me who sorted me out with an ignitor, He also suggested a knock sensor, Said that was a more common fault on these and would also give the same problems, So i ended up with a knock sensor off him too. Get home and stick them both in the car. Still nothing. Hmmm, Forgot to plug the king lead back on the distributor! Stick that back in and it fired up with a bit of a splutter idled on the choke at around 1500rpm for a few minutes, All is well. left it running while i had a brew and it suddenly cut out, Again the temp gauge was through the roof and the RPM needle doing fuck all. Ready to set it on fire now, Not a fan of electrical shit. Left it for a few mins and tried to start it again, it went right into life and has been fine for the past few hours, driven it about 50 miles and all seems well, Though my idle is about 300RPM now and the engine shakes like mad, Soon sorted by adjusting the screw on the throttle pulley (I don't recommend doing this with the engine on, My buddy got a right belt off the king lead) and it's good as new now. So in the end it was either the ignitor or the knock sensor. My guess is the ignitor but i can't check for sure since i changed them both, It's working now and i can't be bothered to fuck about now it's going again. Not sure what caused it to die as I've read the ignitors rarely fail, Maybe a loose wire shorted it out and fried it, Who knows. She lives to see another day!

post-14959-0-16932800-1485984413_thumb.j

post-14959-0-16932800-1485984413_thumb.j

Edited by Ryncewind

I have ignitor plug/connector problem sometimes in my 3S-GTE MR2 after washing engine or heavy rain wheather, almost same igniter as in Starlet. Somehow water goes in the plug and all dead after that, problem goes away when taking plug away, some pressure air and WD40. I have greased and oiled it several times, but sometimes problem comes back, wery weird thing. I have checked wires and plug several times and everything look okay always. So very sentive plug, but You propably have cheked it for sure, I was giving earlier other ways. Keep on eye on that plug, sounds more possible reason than knock sensor...

I had a similar issue, replaced the 'coilpack' and noticed a break in the insulation on the wires in that area.Changed the wires and that solved it

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=5073&cat=89&sub=1350&sec=0&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

My friend found out the hard way there is a split in the insulation on the king lead so i'll be replacing all the leads at some point in the near future lol :)

MR-2

Posted Today, 05:54 AM

I have ignitor plug/connector problem sometimes in my 3S-GTE MR2 after washing engine or heavy rain wheather, almost same igniter as in Starlet. Somehow water goes in the plug and all dead after that, problem goes away when taking plug away, some pressure air and WD40. I have greased and oiled it several times, but sometimes problem comes back, wery weird thing. I have checked wires and plug several times and everything look okay always. So very sentive plug, but You propably have cheked it for sure, I was giving earlier other ways. Keep on eye on that plug, sounds more possible reason than knock sensor...

Yeah i doubt it was the knock sensor but I can't say for sure as I changed that and the ignitor at the same time, The knock sensor I removed was in near perfect condition too!

Edited by Ryncewind