Hi guys

Have been thinking of getting a Glanza for a while now and finally test drove one nearbyish the other day - of course I now have to own one.

I'm no car expert so just need some advice on how much I should be looking to spend, The difference in quality between different sellers and your experiences with buying your Glanzas. I'm looking for a (mostly) unmodified Glanza V.

The one I test drove the other day had 80k (KM) on the clock and is going for £4000. Its a fresh import but with no BIMTA certified milleage or history, Its not from a well known dealer and the guy couldn't offer me a warranty. What are my chances of getting ripped off here? I've done a lot of research and it seems parts are readily available until I realise the posts i'm reading are 10 odd years old! are these cars still going to be easy to maintain if I buy a dud?

The car itself seemed good condition; just had an oil change, coolant looked nice and clear, engine pulled smoothly and the interior was relatively clean and quiet. As i say though. "no expert"

had a few mods as follows.

Stainless steel exhaust.

Uprated suspension

Boost gauge

Turbo timer connected to the handbrake.

Love the info on here. really great site and any help is appreciated. Hope this post is ok to be here and just tell me off if not, wont happen again!

If buying from high Wycombe then id strongly suggest posting said car in here and the name of the guy selling it. Theres a guy with a bit of a rep down there.

Ask the owner if you can do a compression check on it. These engine are old and a tired a lot have been ragged, its not uncommon for new owners to get a bit happy of the way home and the engines going bang.

The standard turbo manifold is a bit shit as it has restrictions in the runners that cause piston damage if the boost is turned up to much, so if its been replaced thats not a bad thing.

Gearboxes 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are fairly common to be worn and grind when having a sprited drive.

Imports dont get undersealed like uk cars so check the underside and arches for rust fresh underseal isnt always a good sign they migt be trying to cover something up. The side skirts can hold and hide the worst of it so if you see a bit around them expect the worst but hope for the best. They dont rot that bad but they are 20 years old and japanese lol

Other than that not much to say other than do the usual checks when buying a car :)

There is a wealth of parts about lots of people break whole cars as its the best way to make money back. Toyota still make lots of bits and a lot of parts from the UK cars fit so there is patent parts available too.

Hope this helps.

Morgey - Appreciate this mate, Its from the Birmingham area this one. wish I had a longer response to show gratitude for the advice, Thanks. :thumbsup:

I have mine for sale.. pm me if interested.. thanks

Soz mate looking for white and being picky about that.

If it is a car dealer not offering warranty avoid. Every car dealer has to offer at least three months warranty i think under the customer protection act 1987.

I've looked this up online and its difficult to get a proper answer. Agree probably best to avoid the no warranty though. They said it was because most dealers offer a third party warranty and due to the price of the car (being below 10k) it wasn't worth it for them... sounded dodge to me at the time.

Might be worth posting the car in question. Shop about before buying one though.

Haha, little reluctant to do this in case its a secret beaut that gets snapped up by someone forum browsing... WIll post it soon though, are direct links to cars for sale on a certain bidding based site ok to put up on here or against forum rules?

Edited by Jwood91

No worries fella :)

Regarding the links if its for a car you are selling then yes its generally frowned upon to post links to it. We do have an ebay etc finds section but thats for stuff members have found that may interest others.

But if its to show us the car your want to look at then its fine. Link away

Ok cheers mate.

Link for the car in question here.

Have also found the seller listed under a different name on facebook here.

So they've said no to a compression test..

They've stated their reasons as "to do a compression test is not appropriate as the top mount intercooler need to be removed and also spark plugs"

Not sure if they're trying to avoid it here or just concerned about someone unqualified carrying out the test and causing a problem.... no way to know for sure I guess but it doesn't sound great.

My uncle is hopefully going to see the car soon to give it a once over as he's a little more experienced in the used car buying department. Will hopefully have an update later in the week!

Edited by Jwood91

Hes true it does need removing to do the test along with the spark plugs, They need removing regardless haha. However its not a huge amount of work 2 jubilee clips and a couple of bolts and not much can go wrong in doing so.

Its worth a look though, shocks are a good brand and it looks tidy but the fsct theyre using different names is a bit odd...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks bud.

The car was sold by the time I got back to the guy so first come first served I guess :(

Anyone selling a white glanza (pref post facelift but not a dealbreaker) with little or no mods give us a shout!

Thanks bud.

The car was sold by the time I got back to the guy so first come first served I guess :(

Anyone selling a white glanza (pref post facelift but not a dealbreaker) with little or no mods give us a shout!

That was probably me then - sorry! Hope you find another.

Don't be too upset, it needs a clutch :)

Ahh wondered if it was bought by someone on here and if I'd see it again.

Just had a quick look at your thread about it. Glad to see its destined for big things!

New question for any users here. Have been coming across Japanese auction sheets and wondering if anyone has been able to find a way to translate the Inspectors comments. I managed to look up the annotations listed on the cars for scratches, dents and rust etc but am pretty sure they write up mechanical faults with the car in a particular box on the sheet. anybody come across this before?

• 3 weeks later...

So here we go..

managed to get hold of a 96 model within my price range (ish) ;) and around 70k on the clock

Been driving it for about a week and loving every second. At the moment I'm going to just try and restore her to her former glory and get rid of any cracks/chips on the paintwork and touch up the inside a tad.

only one bad photo I'm afraid. ">http://href='http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/jwood91starlet/media/Photo0086_zpsrnb0zxr7.jpg.html'>Photo0086_zpsrnb0zxr7.jpg