keep EP91 or Buy EVO 8/9

keep EP91 vs buy EVO 8/9  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

now i suppose in everyone's life there comes a point where they consider selling up the starlet and getting something else. i must say i'm at such a point, but there is no urgency about it so i have time to really decide what i want to do. IF i did sell, the ONLY option is a Mitsubishi evo 8/9.

1) a little back ground---i've been involved with starlets since 1999 (ep82). I bought a replacement ep91 in 2006 which is now mildly modified --nothing too aggressive. Its in pristine condition, works great, gives no problems, has all comfort features still in place (a/c p/s, etc.). Year 1998, so its about 19 years old now. its a weekend drive at best, decent gas mileage if driven sensibly. IF i sold this, i doubt i would ever be able to get back one in this condition later on if i changed my mind. Negatives - It seems getting certain parts is becoming harder and some stuff is discontinued. its getting on up in age

2) what peaks my interest about the evo 8/9 --- the plan would be to keep it relatively stock with just maybe exhaust and suspension. try to get something between 2006/2008 which is younger age/body wise. i suppose having about 300bhp in stock trim would be more than enough for a weekend drive. negatives -- its a heavy car, i read its not especially efficient on gas (i assume if driven sensibly it would be but i dont know--any input welcomed), more things to fail like differentials, etc. (i assume they should be ok with stockish power??)

its either one or the other, i cant have both. whatever the decision, the vehicle will be kept for another 10 years and i'd want to not have major car problems----the usual maintenance/service would be done. so for you guys who have experience or close friends/family with stockish evo 8/9s, what is your view on them...is it a car you would trade in your ep82/ep91 for?

your opinions/votes are appreciated.

Edited by gorganl2000
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you tune the evo the smile fun factor is the glanza.

However evo if you can own one do it..

Great cars. Fairly comfy and not slow on the road but very good down b roads.

If a weekend toy then id say evo.

But evo costs more to maintain but sure you factored that in.

My mate's got an Evo 5 and it's an incredible car.

Heavy? Not really, you can buy a VW Golf that weighs about the same and this is a 4wd saloon.

My experience of the Evo V Starlet is that the Starlet is limited in it's ability. Cracking car for the money, but you got push the Evo that little bit further, especially when both in Stock form.

Mildly tuned Evo's for the money can have fairly tuned Starlets. Difference being the Evo is easier to drive and probably faster and more reliable.

My friend absolutely well and truly batters his evo. He keeps up with fluids and cam belts, but other than that. He is the sort of person who thrashes his cars. He even said how reliable the car has been. He bought a fresh 60KM Jap import three/four years ago. It's his daily and he is foot to the floor everywhere. Fuel is crap but that's probably cause of the way he drives it.

I haven't been in an 8, but I'd imagine it's similar.

I don't think it would be silly idea to get an Evo, but they are expensive machines to run. So it's down to cost.

thanks jayc and calum for your input...yeah i'm not too concerned about general running/maintenance costs, as its just a weekend drive regardless.

i'm more worried about major things breaking, like gearboxes, engines, differentials and with the evo 9 the mivec system (i've never been a fan of vtec, vvti, mivec, lift, etc..i just figured these are more things that can go wrong).

Well I've done both and I sold my Evo 2 weeks ago and came back to starlets, yes a part of it was business related, but I just find Starlets hilarious fun.

The Evo is technically a better car, course it is. Stops better, goes better , corners better etc. Like someone said , very easy to get to 400bhp and you need a forged glanza to keep up.

I had an RS so a more lairy one with the stronger 5 - speed box. Economy is horrendous but you don't buy one expecting to be good. Handled stupendidly well with the Ohlins and Cusco diffs I had.

On the non RS models look out for AYC fault as circa 1k to sort, if tuned, transfer case / diff and 6th gears are weak. General rot and rust on rear chassis legs as a lot will of been in the country a while now.

In essence touch choice , id probably recommend making the change to atleast try it but just keep the glanza too.

thanks Robsr...the evo does sound a nice overall car...so ayc is only on non RS models?....i have to do some more reading on the different types/models (rs, gsr, etc)...from the little reading i did so far, i got the impression the RS was a basic model with daily driver comforts missing

i'd not have to worry about rust so much i suppose (Caribbean/Barbados tropical island), as we get our cars from japan mostly.

yeah, its a difficult choice, but i can't have both

i'd really like to find a local with a stockish one to get a feel for them, but most i know are modified which i suspect changes the whole experience.

thanks Robsr...the evo does sound a nice overall car...so ayc is only on non RS models?....i have to do some more reading on the different types/models (rs, gsr, etc)...from the little reading i did so far, i got the impression the RS was a basic model with daily driver comforts missing

i'd not have to worry about rust so much i suppose (Caribbean/Barbados tropical island), as we get our cars from japan mostly.

yeah, its a difficult choice, but i can't have both

i'd really like to find a local with a stockish one to get a feel for them, but most i know are modified which i suspect changes the whole experience.

RS models are usually basic in spec but have a proper diff. Stronger mechanically but you lose some creature comforts unless they've been ordered as an extra.

It's worth mentioning that the chassis on the RS models are stronger/lighter than the GSR models. I believe they are seam welded and were designed to be rallied.

I have been in an Evo I've RS, that doesn't come with recaro's or even a speedo.

It came with dual oil coolers from the factory.

I was underwhelmed with its performance to be quite honest with you. In stock trim the evo I've isn't the best when you compare it to a slightly modified GT.

I was underwhelmed with its performance to be quite honest with you. In stock trim the evo I've isn't the best when you compare it to a slightly modified GT.

your last line is what has me in doubt...i'd really not like for that to be the case...i really need to find a stock one around and beg/ask for the owner to take me for a drive :D

RS models are usually basic in spec but have a proper diff. Stronger mechanically but you lose some creature comforts unless they've been ordered as an extra.

yeah,,,as you and Calum indicate, the rs model does seem to come basic, but maybe you can get lucky and get one with the creature comforts installed from factory if i go this route....i'm certainly NOT about driving around a car without a/c, p/s, speedo, etc whether its a weekend car or not those are essential to me.

island temps are approximately 30C daily...a/c is a must

Yes an RS is basic as it was the model the rally teams would buy but you gain proper diffs and more commonly the stronger 5 speed gearbox. This is non AYC. You could order a 6-speed if wanted from factory and then you would gain AYC.

Same with ACD, traditionally the RS will have it , but you could spec a non ACD model too.

RS is no A/C and manual windows etc.

You can get an MR RS which is what I had, rare as anything but then they put the elecy windows and A/c back in amongst some engine differences too.

I've never owned one but I got a mate who has an Evo I've and an Evo V and he often borrows his Boss's Evo I've RS.

His Evo V is bog standard, but it's a Jap import and he reckons the box has been fettled with as it has shorter ratios than the RS.

My Brother has a TD04 Starlet, and they have gone neck and neck and the Starlet has edged away.

Two things, the Starlet has to be driven ON POINT. And the Evo was not expecting to be raced so he had to drop it down a few pegs. So it's not what you would call a fair race. If it were a drag race I've no doubt the Evo would have won.

The RS I was in had four people in it, if that were a Starlet then that really wouldn't have gone anywhere.

Don't dismiss the Evo, they're a quick reliable car. I believe the later models are faster.

But the Starlet is just bang for buck. Cheap car, cheap to tune cheap to run.

The Evo's have far more potential, but you need bigger pockets.

It's a difficult one to judge, the Evo is nicer to drive and great fun. The Starlet is more work, but you get out what you put in...

i have a few weeks to sit and research and decide what i want to do...for sure its not an easy decision.

people from the outside looking in would probably be thinking its a straight forward decision, but us starlet owners know its not that simple :D

I've never owned one but I got a mate who has an Evo I've and an Evo V and he often borrows his Boss's Evo I've RS.

His Evo V is bog standard, but it's a Jap import and he reckons the box has been fettled with as it has shorter ratios than the RS.

My Brother has a TD04 Starlet, and they have gone neck and neck and the Starlet has edged away.

Two things, the Starlet has to be driven ON POINT. And the Evo was not expecting to be raced so he had to drop it down a few pegs. So it's not what you would call a fair race. If it were a drag race I've no doubt the Evo would have won.

The RS I was in had four people in it, if that were a Starlet then that really wouldn't have gone anywhere.

Don't dismiss the Evo, they're a quick reliable car. I believe the later models are faster.

But the Starlet is just bang for buck. Cheap car, cheap to tune cheap to run.

The Evo's have far more potential, but you need bigger pockets.

It's a difficult one to judge, the Evo is nicer to drive and great fun. The Starlet is more work, but you get out what you put in...

Edited by gorganl2000

If you can afford to run one, give it everything it needs and a few mods exhaust, fuel pump air filter and a map then deffo the evo, having owned one they are great cars but stock they are a bit bland to say the least.

currently running an Evo 8, but still have the Starlet tucked away

It's lightly modded, uprated turbo, cams, intercooler, map etc. last rr printout 408bhp but i reckon it's about 370-390 .

It's quick, pulls hard and is one of the best sounding cars i've owned. handling is also great as you'd expect and you can feel the AYC pushing you into a corner.

it's not all that refined. although leagues ahead of the starlet, haha. But it's little things like terrible steering lock, can barely make some junctions, and forget about doubling back on a mini roundabout. jerky in traffic and just generally mechanically a little 'noisy' . none of this is a worry as that's the type of car it is.

it's like a more grown up starlet and a natural stepping stone away from it. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

fuel economy 15-20 round town, less if you floor it, 25 -30 on a run .

no major reliability issues, but did spend a little when first bought it sorting some things out, since then though just servicing and fuel.

drivetrain can be a little fragile and wouldn't recommend too many launches else you could well be picking your transfer case up off the road.

If you can afford to run one, give it everything it needs and a few mods exhaust, fuel pump air filter and a map then deffo the evo, having owned one they are great cars but stock they are a bit bland to say the least.

i'm not bothered by the general maintenance stuff,,,

the plan would be to keep it "stockish" with just intake, exhaust and suspension mods...run stock boost pressure....possibly get the ecu reflashed.....and run high octane gas only......no major mods...i don't know how much fun that would be over the mildly modded ep91

but now i hear some mention of potential AYC issues on the GSR model..........which is the model that would more suit me, as i want all the comfort features.

i don't want to be having issues with nothing once everything is serviced as it should be....just a nice decent fun weekend car

actually, what is stock boost pressure on the evo 8/9???

currently running an Evo 8, but still have the Starlet tucked away

It's lightly modded, uprated turbo, cams, intercooler, map etc. last rr printout 408bhp but i reckon it's about 370-390 .

It's quick, pulls hard and is one of the best sounding cars i've owned. handling is also great as you'd expect and you can feel the AYC pushing you into a corner.

it's not all that refined. although leagues ahead of the starlet, haha. But it's little things like terrible steering lock, can barely make some junctions, and forget about doubling back on a mini roundabout. jerky in traffic and just generally mechanically a little 'noisy' . none of this is a worry as that's the type of car it is.

it's like a more grown up starlet and a natural stepping stone away from it. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

fuel economy 15-20 round town, less if you floor it, 25 -30 on a run .

no major reliability issues, but did spend a little when first bought it sorting some things out, since then though just servicing and fuel.

drivetrain can be a little fragile and wouldn't recommend too many launches else you could well be picking your transfer case up off the road.

yeah, it does seem to be a natural progression from the starlet....i really can't see any other car that i'd consider selling the ep91 for at the moment.

i agree, the exhaust note is lovely...lol

with regards to drive train fragility...when you say launches?---are you only referring to a standing launch?

how about moving driving off and the quickly flooring it?...does this cause transfer case and differential issues too?