Can I lower my car without ruining the ride?

Hello to all.

I have a Toyota Sera which shares the same chassis as the EP86 Starlet an SLSS I thought this might be a good resource to help answer my conundrum...

Just bought the car and days later the rear shocks have gone, so rather than just replace I'm thinking to look at lowering the car all round.

But I do t want to loose the soft confortabke ride I currently enjoy.

I had a M-Sport BMW a few mk this back and whilst it was very rewarding on a spirited drive along a twisty mountain road it was compromised at EVERYTHING else and in the end I got rid of it because the ride was just too hard.

My little Sera is lovely but I'd like to lower it to reduce the arch gap between wheel arch and tyres.

Thinking of going for an all round kit replacing but all the suspension at once with new springs and dampers. But I don't want to kill the car's current comfyness.

Any thoughts?

I've always gone for new kyb shocks and Tein S Tech springs. They give a nice drop but give just a slightly stiffer ride than standard. It's worked for me time and time again on a few different jap cars. It's a setup I swear by as it doesn't sacrifice comfort for ride height. New shocks will be an improvement on their own.

People who have sat in my car comment on how smooth it is and how it feels that im not going that fast.

I have koni yellow adjustable shocks, apexi 35mm springs with tien adjustable top mounts.

Its a very good road setup in mu opinion and others have backed that up after driving its

I also have 15 inch alloys with 50 profile so that must help as well

Narrowing down the suspects...

Going to replace the shocks with new KYB units and just need to find the right springs..

Thinking about maybe getting some custom made, DT said that tein springs are quite hard, same with all aftermarket lowering springs in fact :(

Narrowing down the suspects...

Going to replace the shocks with new KYB units and just need to find the right springs..

Thinking about maybe getting some custom made, DT said that tein springs are quite hard, same with all aftermarket lowering springs in fact :(

Tein are progressively wound, the others are just wound uniformly.

I've had Tein, vmaxx and apex springs in various starlets.

Vmaxx and apex were the most comfortable. With teins being the least. But then the teins handled a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...