Chops rolla tsport project (cant have too many projects apparently)

Well, my saab roadboat has early signs of head gasket failure, and has been deemed unworthy of savior, so i got on the old ebay for a replacement van car shitheap runabout to hoon while the gt is being built up, and ce across this gem: post-10502-0-41725100-1491148232_thumb.jpost-10502-0-75071900-1491148261_thumb.jpost-10502-0-36124800-1491148304_thumb.j

A 2001 corolla tsport with 93k on it and some unknown issue stopping it from starting. Youd think this would be a silly buy for a reliable cheap daily and youd be right, but this rolla cost me the princely sum of 250 quid and was local, so i decided it shouldnt be a difficult fix/hard to throw a new engine in as its not turbocharged. I got the old compression tester on it the day after purchase, and found 30/30/30/80 lol, not quite the 210 odd theyre supposed to register. A quick cam cover removal revealed this post-10502-0-35057100-1491148059_thumb.j

Either someones dumped coffee in here to wake it up a bit, or its def got a headgasket failure lol. More to come v soon!

A lot of peeps on here have or have had one, never hear anything bad from previous owners. Looks like ittle be a right giggle when its done, they do sit really high stock i might invest in some tte/compressor springs

So much sludge in the oil, but no bits of bearing or other shit. its coolant was mostly straight water, so its been leaking/burning coolant for a while and topped up i recon.

I'm hoping to god the bottom ends ok and i dont have to pull the whole thing out as i cba with that shit. found the timing cover is one piece today, and i have to take the whole lot off to check the timing is aligned ffs. id have just kept the bottom of the chain from being loose but the cover has to come off to get the head off obv and ill need to turn the crank to inspect the bores, they were pitted to fuck on my old scoob from getting too hot, caused serious blowby and destroyed the whole engine!

So i finally got round to getting the head off today, and found this.

post-10502-0-32004400-1491418075_thumb.j

post-10502-0-40967200-1491418160_thumb.j

Not seen a gasket blow through between two different cylinders before, presumably this thing got silly hot :o.gonna clean it all up, hopefully the bottom end is strong at least!

post-10502-0-09059600-1491941494_thumb.jpost-10502-0-07600600-1491941533_thumb.j
Got my cylinderhead back from the shop, refreshed the valves and gave it a big old skim to try and get the compression up as well as seat the mls headgaskets these use, so shiney, so chrome :).post-10502-0-90259600-1491941557_thumb.j
This happens to most 2zzs it seems, the hot cams and pads on the intake camshaft get smashed on the back of the lobes, im not going to do anything just yet, ill fix it later if the car is a success. toyota wanted mad dollahs to replace em, fuk dat noise for a car im intending to drive hard till it dies again lol.

post-10502-0-09059600-1491941494_thumb.j

post-10502-0-07600600-1491941533_thumb.j

post-10502-0-90259600-1491941557_thumb.j

Edited by Chops

attachicon.gif20170411_162445.jpgattachicon.gif20170411_163635.jpg

Got my cylinderhead back from the shop, refreshed the valves and gave it a big old skim to try and get the compression up as well as seat the mls headgaskets these use, so shiney, so chrome :).attachicon.gif20170411_163645.jpg

This happens to most 2zzs it seems, the hot cams and pads on the intake camshaft get smashed on the back of the lobes, im not going to do anything just yet, ill fix it later if the car is a success. toyota wanted mad dollahs to replace em, fuk dat noise for a car im intending to drive hard till it dies again lol.

It's worth replacing them, when worn they run like a bag of shit.

Only when using the hot cam tho eh, when i say later i mean if the engine runs well when i throw it back together and doesnt burn oil. Ill be looking for some at the scrappys im not paying the 300 odd toyota want lol

Im confused as to why its so low, the bores didnt seem that bad, no gouges from ringland failure or anything. Im torn now, i could pull it to bits for parts or try and find a replacement shortblock or whole engine.

The head was rebuilt and pressure tested. Bores usually give the game away with rings and its timing chain is deff correct, wouldnt give a difference between 3 pistons and the 4th anyway.

Im tempted to butcher it, central locking, complete engine for a mad build someday, 6 speed gbox with driveshaft cups etc.

Ooh, got any intake cams and or rocker pads that arnt curly whirlied? Got set of springs?

I have a complete cylinder head with cams and the lot. By the sounds of it your bores are banana shaped. It's expensive to get it sleeved and you can't rebore them due to the nikasil coating on the bores. You could need a short block but they are expensive :/

• 1 month later...

so i got the engine out of this, and pulled the pistons to find most of the rings were jammed up. ah i thought, theres our problem, but naturally while they were out i got in there and checked the bores for roundness. its not just that theyve gone oval, its that theyve gone all over the place in quite spectacular fashion. 8thou out in places, each cylinder different :L fuck the 2zz, i cant be asked to repair it or replace it, im going to sell a few things off it to recover what i can and move on. anyone fancy a set of t sport alloys?