• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Calum122 said:

Yeah, it's good to have a spare and by the sounds of it you need it too!

If I could find a unicorn LSD box, I'd be jumping all over it! But they're super rare here now :(

Slight update: my friend forgot about the wheel bearing, but he has resealed the Oil pump and Sump as they were leaking again. Fingers crossed that stops the oil leaks.

I posted on a local Facebook group in regards to people's thoughts on the HDI intercooler kits, the general consensus seems to be that they're not as bolt on as suggested, so I'm torn in half going for a fully custom set up, or biting the bullet and worrying about fitment issues later.

This is the kit: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1737778681

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Small update, haven't done anything interesting other than an oil and filter change at 230,000k.

I've ordered the following parts:

- JD Tuning Civic radiator mounting kit

- Intake and Exhaust gaskets

- Powerflex steering rack bushes (the O and D ones)

I was looking at a HDI intercooler kit, but my friend who's somewhat handy with a welder has offered to make me a custom front mount set up and all I have to do is figure out what piping I need.

43 minutes ago, jellybaby said:

I have a hdi kit fmic and pipes if your running td04 set up ?

Still the factory CT9 at the moment, not too sure what route I want to go just yet in terms of power set up.

I'm also in New Zealand, so shipping may be a little un-economical :( 

It's a long weekend here in NZ and I dedicated a few hours to the Starlet today to put some Seafoam through the engine and polish the headlights

I love using Seafoam, creates a huge smokey mess and the engine felt a little lively after. 

9DYu4PLh.jpg

fn1gaCFh.jpg

Yeah silly love leaving the doors open, ah well! Also found my downpipe gasket is leaking.

rR2n0W1h.jpg NlYsgJjh.jpg

UslGUxRh.jpg NIwleLch.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The engine has developed a weird "ticking" noise.. to me it sounds like 

In the mean time, I figure I'll still prep for the trackday, so I flushed out the brake fluid and put in some TRW racing fluid. I used a syringe to suck out most of the old fluid that i could, then poured in the good stuff, however after doing that, this little dirt cloud appeared:

m4sL1Hel.jpg

So I sucked that out too.

Two hours hours, job done! I did this on my own, a first and I'm quite chuffed I had no issues :D

Except I found this boot had split, poo.

UyVPlwwl.jpg

Everyone loves a wee photo:

w5tBBpEl.jpg
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

LjHJuNul.jpg

37bf0W9l.jpg

n9sSAEKl.jpg

Small update: The wee girl failed a WoF ( MoT for you guys) a few weeks ago on the front tyres having too much inner wear, oops! So I took the opportunity to put the car on jack stands and get all four wheels powder coated.

I also gave the calipers a lick of paint whilst I was at it.

• 4 weeks later...
8PpY3gJl.jpg
Full: https://imgur.com/8PpY3gJ

Wheels are finally on! They aren't perfect, but close enough.

I took the car back to get it's WoF, but it failed once again due to the ABS light not working. Thankfully it was just a blown bulb.

It desperately needs a wheel alignment and then I can look at what I want to do next.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, a month later I'm sick AGAIN, not a good time of the year for me..

Anyway, on Saturday I took her out for her second trackday, however I only did two sessions before having to stop because I was getting too unwell :(

The car performed admirably, the starlet went into lip mode on the first lap and would then only hit .5 bar of boost, shit it was close. I suspect since the 2.5" exhaust it's boost creep and cutting out. 

Here's some pics:

RIlpFEYl.jpg

uA3s1T0h.jpg

QVGkuZ7h.jpg

vPLqsjDh.jpg

• 8 months later...

UPDATE time, or lack of.. In August/Sept I was over in Europe/UK for a holiday, oh what an experience! Miss it everyday.

Right now the car is doing exactly what I bought it for, daily duties. I do have a LSD gearbox that I'm waiting to get checked out before I use it. I can't imagine parts for this if the box isn't good will be easy to get here.. so I'm not sure what I'll do. The current box has a very very sad third gear.

Whilst I'm waiting for the gearbox to be checked out, I did remove the charcoal canister and pop a uni flow valve in its place. I have an idea that in it's place, I'll put an oil catch can there.

6HE5vHFl.jpg?1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 10:41 PM, Sam44 said:

Nice pics, abit of track action good to see. 

A cooperative gearbox and some stickier tyres would make this car a heck of a lot more fun on the track! But this is all on hold due to COVID.

Yeh. 

The body roll on these and suspention deflection is truly shocking in standard form. 

When I first experienced driving one of these on track to be truthful I did 2 laps and came off  in disgust, parked it up it was so so bad. 

Body roll and pitch, suspention deflection that made the wheels/axles feel not attached to the vehicle,  brake bias making in corner brake control impossible and weight transfer\shift\pitch a real problem. Lift off over steering. And a steering rack that felt very unresponsive and lacked feed back (feel). 

We really changed all this dramatically with out areo work and with some very precise mods. The thing holds the road and gives great feedback. Handling mods are a very beneficial mod on the ep91 and 82 the complete opposite to the ae101 which surprised me. 

Edited by Sam44
On 4/4/2020 at 4:08 AM, Sam44 said:

We really changed all this dramatically with out areo work and with some very precise mods. The thing holds the road and gives great feedback. Handling mods are a very beneficial mod on the ep91 and 82 the complete opposite to the ae101 which surprised me. 

What precise mods did you do that helped the most?

Polly bushed the front wish bones + lift kit, poly bush the rear axle mounts, rear anti roll bar, we used bolt on hub spacers on the rear hubs widening the rear track by 20mm a side. front and rear strut brace. 

It came with a cheap set of coil overs fitted and because it's for road use I'm keeping them on and I'm pleasently surprised with there control and comfort from what I can gather it's the mk2 golf fronts and polo 6n2 rears. 

The ep91 i have Is the four door slightly heavier 4 door but these give better chassis rigidity. 

It also came with a adjustable brake bias valve fitted and with better brake effort to the rear end has really made a good difference in control when braking late into a bend as well as braking at speed in a bend. The rear end behaviour and weight/momentum shift has been the biggest improvement. The only issue is it's still on drum brake and in stop start traffic I adjust the bias valve so all the brake force goes to the front. Otherwise it just stops dead making for a jerky ride. 

I've welded inch box section steel  to the full length of the rear axle radius arm. To stop them flexing 

Oh and new front wish bone to hub ball joints. 

Tyres are P Nero zero very good in all weather + hard wearing. 

If feels like a totally different car. Easy to drive fast. 

I forgot one last thing the adjustable panard rod on the rear (Polly, bushed)

Edited by Sam44
On 4/10/2020 at 7:37 PM, Sam44 said:

Polly bushed the front wish bones + lift kit, poly bush the rear axle mounts, rear anti roll bar, we used bolt on hub spacers on the rear hubs widening the rear track by 20mm a side. front and rear strut brace. 

It came with a cheap set of coil overs fitted and because it's for road use I'm keeping them on and I'm pleasently surprised with there control and comfort from what I can gather it's the mk2 golf fronts and polo 6n2 rears. 

The ep91 i have Is the four door slightly heavier 4 door but these give better chassis rigidity. 

It also came with a adjustable brake bias valve fitted and with better brake effort to the rear end has really made a good difference in control when braking late into a bend as well as braking at speed in a bend. The rear end behaviour and weight/momentum shift has been the biggest improvement. The only issue is it's still on drum brake and in stop start traffic I adjust the bias valve so all the brake force goes to the front. Otherwise it just stops dead making for a jerky ride. 

I've welded inch box section steel  to the full length of the rear axle radius arm. To stop them flexing 

Oh and new front wish bone to hub ball joints. 

Tyres are P Nero zero very good in all weather + hard wearing. 

If feels like a totally different car. Easy to drive fast. 

I forgot one last thing the adjustable panard rod on the rear (Polly, bushed)

Ahhh so quite a few mods! For the wheel spacers, did you put on extended wheel bolts too? I feel 20mm won't leave much for the wheel nut to bolt onto.

5 hours ago, Timmah said:

Ahhh so quite a few mods! For the wheel spacers, did you put on extended wheel bolts too? I feel 20mm won't leave much for the wheel nut to bolt onto.

It is well worth it, on these handling and control out of factory is quite poor.

I'm using hub centric spacers bolted on. 

I'm also thinking of a stiffer front roll bar. 

Its a completely different level of control from factory. Cornering speeds are really very impressive to the point were a baffled sump and windage tray were a requirement. 

I've no need as yet for a rear wing.

Edited by Sam44