Hello to all!

Thought i move my topic to this area now. So a short review about the car:

The car itself is Toyota Starlet Glanza V from -97.

Im second owner in Finland, last owner bought this car from import company somewhere between 2012-13 and drove after that only 5000km. Current mileage on the car is about 100 000km right now.

It was having some modifications from previous owners:

-JAM ECU

-HKS Hi Power Silent exhaust (the last muffler is changed now to simon´s, because the original one was so bad condition)

-Arc intercooler

-GReddy Profec-B Boost controller

-GReddy Boost gauge

-HKS mushroom filter

-HKS Turbotimer

-Some sort of blow off (dont know the manufactuer)

-TRD cluster

-CUSCO rear strut tower bar

-Maybe a better clutch (the clutch was changed couple of years ago in Finland by the import company, but i can´t get the answer from them that what kind of clutch they used)

Future plans: Was hoping to get 180-200hp from it someday, just need to get more familiar with this engine first. Was planning to lower the car with BC Racing coilovers, maybe some japan racing wheels too at size 15" and repaint the hood (varnish has been flattened). Also i really need to have better seats someday. The sitting position is just so horrible right now, way too much on the front and cant get it more backwards.

Some photos after tinting the windows, new stickers and a full cleaning and waxing operation:

IMG-20170504-WA0006_zpsmlpbx4oj.jpg

IMG-20170504-WA0013_zpshci68rwg.jpg

IMG-20170504-WA0007_zpsllrdnpsp.jpg

IMG-20170504-WA0021_zpsssjy3scy.jpg

Edited by Tomson

Just wondering, would it make any difference if i change the downpipe to decat model and the exhaust manifold too for some aftermarket one, would i feel the difference with stock turbo/my current setup?

• 2 months later...

Some updates: Getting more familiar with a car, changed some filters, oils, brakefluids, bads and discs to the front. Next week its ready for the inspection. Bc racing coilovers are ordered and coming, going to install those after the inspection. In next couple of weeks i hope to get my car polished aswell. New wheels and tyres next month + painting the bonnet. Photos when i have something to show about :D

• 3 weeks later...

Cool! I have a friend in Tampere where I spent some holidays and have been in Hameenlinna as well. Last summer I drove to Finland via Sweden in my GT.

Oh, really cool! I was planning to do somekind of roadtrip to europe too with my car + couple of friends, but need to get my car first in the condition that satisfy me (not in track condition yet)

Edited by Tomson

Haha, cool to see more Glanzas from Finland! :p

I live in Helsinki, but our garage is in Tuusula, near Järvenpää. Drop me a private message if you need to ask anything about Starlets. You can check my Glanza and EP70 Starlet pics here: https://www.instagram.com/ollyollee/

I will gladly help and answer any questions. I'm not a professional, but I've been around Starlets from 2002 so I might know something. :D

Your Glanza looks good, the coilovers make a huge difference! :) Keep up!

• 3 weeks later...

And now comes the transmission problems 😒 some brawl? Noise comes from the transmission/near it, only when the gear is on, not on neutral or when using the clutch. Im thinking it might be the clutch pilot bearing? Someone else having/had the same issues?

What are those coils like?

Loving them alot, couldnt ask for more i would say. Same brand works also pretty nicely in Toyota Caldina aswell, tried in other car too. Some update: So, my gearbox is gone now. Seems like a bearing problem and i need to get new synchros and bearings to it.. where to looking for this? :sad: i was also thinking to change to hole gearbox/transmission but hard to find any?? (its c56?) also read that there have been used other kind of gearboxes aswell in glanza, but what can handle ~200hp?

Edited by Tomson
  • 4 weeks later...

Some updates. Car is up and running again! changes the bearings and syncros from the transmission, and now its working really smoothly again!

2. Gear syncro, new

IMG_20170915_180839_zpsprtykk9q.jpg

2. Gear syncro, old one.. you can see the difference.

IMG_20170916_154446_zpsantgcfcw.jpg

And this was the bearing where to noise came from.

IMG_20170916_154332_zps3atb4jsn.jpg

And now when the transmission is working again, i finished my exhaust by changing the both mufflers, flex pipe and the gaskets from connections. (and the tip is little bit "more like it" now).

IMG_20170928_185321_1_zpslvnae1xx.jpg

Edited by Tomson
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well its been months from the last visit, but nothing special have happened, just driving! and really enjoying it. I have done just some minor things like installing the outside temperature meter, better lights/bulbs and so on. Actually have driven over 30,000km in the past one year so not bad at all! Everything works fine, no problems at all, not even starting problems when there is -25 C outside, car starts like there would be a summer time :D So only maintenance things to do before spring arrive, then im going to paint my hood and front bumper again and starting to look for new summer rims also.

Edited by Tomson
  • 2 weeks later...