Cuts out, Fine for weeks, Cuts out...

Ok so I've been having this problem for months. My Glanza will cut out whenever it likes and sometimes it will start right back up, sometimes it refuses and i have to get recovered. It seems to do it when im sat in traffic or when I'm slowing down and press the clutch and the revs drop. It has done this for months now. when it first did it i replaced the thermostat as that was dead and then it was fine for a few weeks. thought that was the end of it, nope. Did it again. So now I've replaced the plugs. HT leads, King lead, Coil, ignition module. I've re drilled the holes in the firewall on the coil bracket and put new nuts and bolts on them and an earthing cable. It was fine for weeks but on the way home from work today it cut out 4 times in the space of 5 miles. I'm totally lost with it now and all out of ideas. Any help? Thanks in advance!

I've had the same problem. Turned out the connector with 2 wires thats on the coilpack had gone bad. Sounds like you could have a bad connector in your loom somewhere too.

You can tell if you have the same problem by looking at your revcounter when cranking. During cranking it should go up to ~500 rpm and mine did not do that anymore.

Edited by maerijn

Sometimes if i unplug the connector on the ignition module it will work again, sometimes not, seems like a loose wire but im not sure as like i say, it can be fine for weeks and weeks then just randomly cut out and not start one day. When the car works, it works fine. doesn't missfire, boosts fine and doesn't creep. I'll check the 2 wires to the coilpack

You checked the main ECU earth and the earth to the injectors located on the inlet manifold on the ICV side, on one of the ICV bolts there is an earth, tighten it up if it is loose as i had fuel cutting issues as it was rattling around while driving.

Wouldn't it just not work at all if my ECU earth was shit? I'll check the one for the injectors, Thanks for that.

On top of what's already been mentioned, check ECU coolant temp sensor and wiring and also TPS. when it cuts out and won't start, unplug the TPS and try it. It will idle high without the TPS plugged in mind...

The wiring for my coolant sensors are a joke, the green one just has 1 single wire from it and that is cut and the other one with the spade on it (Think it's for the gauge on the dash?) Doesn't really work. Saying that they were like that before the car started cutting out. And by TPS do you mean the Throttle Position Sensor? My car doesn't have a TPS it's just a cable. Or have I missed something there? Thanks!

Edit: Car got me to work this morning without a problem. and got me 98% of the way home until i nailed up my hill and it cut out once i pressed the clutch at the top of the hill, Took the key out and left it for about 5 seconds and it fired back up. Back down the road after a turn around and again i press the clutch to reverse onto my drive and it died again but fired right back up. Seems the cutting out happens more often when I'm either stopped at traffic lights or when i come off and press the clutch.

Edited by Ryncewind

Wouldn't it just not work at all if my ECU earth was shit? I'll check the one for the injectors, Thanks for that.

The wiring for my coolant sensors are a joke, the green one just has 1 single wire from it and that is cut and the other one with the spade on it (Think it's for the gauge on the dash?) Doesn't really work. Saying that they were like that before the car started cutting out. And by TPS do you mean the Throttle Position Sensor? My car doesn't have a TPS it's just a cable. Or have I missed something there? Thanks!

Edit: Car got me to work this morning without a problem. and got me 98% of the way home until i nailed up my hill and it cut out once i pressed the clutch at the top of the hill, Took the key out and left it for about 5 seconds and it fired back up. Back down the road after a turn around and again i press the clutch to reverse onto my drive and it died again but fired right back up. Seems the cutting out happens more often when I'm either stopped at traffic lights or when i come off and press the clutch.

Yeah as above what Ramses said. The TPS is on the back of the throttle body. It's has 3 wires going to it. The sensors position is adjustable. You can set it up with feeler gauges and a multimeter. I had terrible problems where I'd be in traffic and fan was cutting in etc. Then when I went to accelerate it would cut out/bog down really bad (I have a wide band and I could see it was getting no fuel). Long story short after a load of other issues were identified, turns out the TPS wasn't set correctly and was causing it to lean right out.

As for the ECU coolant temp sensor there should be a green plug with two wires going to it. That's for the ECU. Best to check continuity in the wires etc. The sensors themselves are usually fine it's usually the wiring that's deteriorated.

If I were you at this stage I'd go somewhere quiet, let it get warm until it starts doing it. Then I'd crack off the two screws holding the TPS in position and slowly and gradually rotate it. Rinse and repeat, see if it makes a difference.

Or you could uplug it all together. Idle will shoot up and you will lose overrun and it won't drive too good but it will help you identify the root cause.

Yeah as above what Ramses said. The TPS is on the back of the throttle body. It's has 3 wires going to it. The sensors position is adjustable. You can set it up with feeler gauges and a multimeter. I had terrible problems where I'd be in traffic and fan was cutting in etc. Then when I went to accelerate it would cut out/bog down really bad (I have a wide band and I could see it was getting no fuel). Long story short after a load of other issues were identified, turns out the TPS wasn't set correctly and was causing it to lean right out.

As for the ECU coolant temp sensor there should be a green plug with two wires going to it. That's for the ECU. Best to check continuity in the wires etc. The sensors themselves are usually fine it's usually the wiring that's deteriorated.

If I were you at this stage I'd go somewhere quiet, let it get warm until it starts doing it. Then I'd crack off the two screws holding the TPS in position and slowly and gradually rotate it. Rinse and repeat, see if it makes a difference.

Or you could uplug it all together. Idle will shoot up and you will lose overrun and it won't drive too good but it will help you identify the root cause.

I will have a good look at the TPS and its wiring then, Thanks for that!

The thing with my coolant sensor is the wiring for it has been shit since i bought the car but the cutting out has only been happening for the past few months. Leading me to believe the temp sensor isnt the issue or it would have been cutting out since I bought it?

I also can't make the car cut out. It's totally random, I have no idea when it's going to do it, I can just start the car up in a morning and it will die at the bottom of the road, Or i can go out all night on a spirited drive and come back without any issues. Like i say it can be fine for weeks then 1 day cut out 6 times and fine for a week. Car runs really nice when normally. Doesn't overheat or overboost or anything.