After some help and advice with the electric power steering pump from a saxo.

First off where have people mounted the pump unit and any photos?

How have you wired it in?

Ideally I'd like mine on a switch so I can shut it off

Cheers Craig

I have seen it mounted behind the bumper on the drive side. You get bring up the reservoir bottle through a hole that already exists in the bottom corrner of the engine bay

Cant help with wiring haven't done mine yet, all i know its pretty staight forward with power and earth. But if you want a switch i would probably get a rocker switch. Ive seen some 20amp 12v ones which should do the job. Not 100% sure though.

I have this fitted to mine, if you have a look at my build thread you'll see some details.

Can't comment on steering feel as I have yet to try it.

The thing needs to be run through a relay, and not directly through a switch!

Cheers lads. Just want it switchable really for manevouring the car and have it off for fast road and track. Surely the steering feel is better when the pump is off? My pump has the built in reservoir too so feels like it will be a tight fit

Energise the relay through a switch, simple enough.

My experience of hydraulic assisted power steering racks, without any hydraulic assist would suggest that the steering will be far too heavy without it, but we shall see. Might be fine for a rip up and down the bypass once every now and again, but when you're on track for 30 or 40 minutes at a time, the last thing you need is physical fatigue through lack of power steering. Especially when you have a plated diff fighting your inputs.

Tbh if plan on having it on all the time the electric pump is not really worth the effort. As someone said, standard is lighter, alot easier to set up and probably even feels better!

I gave up with the electric pump in the end and just looped the rack. Was alot of effort for something that I could easily live without

Proper way to do it would be go to a manual rack.it's a sub one ton car, bearing in mind

Depends why you're doing it?

I wanted to move to a single auxiliary belt to run a crank position sensor, it also cleared up that side of the engine bay to fit a proper air box behind the drivers side headlight.

If you're doing it for the sake of doing it, or, because track car, there's probably not much point.

The pump is heavier, and it'll more than likely sit further forward than the original, which isn't ideal either.

It's easy enough to fit, I think it took me an afternoon.

How is the steering feel with the rack looped? Is it easy enough for a weekend toy and track day car? Could still be an option yet

Was heavier obviously, but not something I ever struggled with. My car now has no power steering from factory and doesn't feel that much harder. Bearing in mind women, grannies, etc used to drive non pas cars years ago must people should be fine with it lol

I had looped lines and didnt enjoy it, i live in the country with lots of twisty roads so you noticed it a fair amount.

I've put an mr2 electric pump on mine, only driven it a few miles but its now too light, im going to wire it in to my speed signal to see if that makes any difference. Failing that i might try putting a restrictor in the feed line to reduce the pressure if possible

I reckon you could wire a pot to the signal wire and make it adjustable.

The Saxo/106 pumps are dumb, they're either on or they aren't.

Do you have any details part numbers, etc of the MR2 pump?

I just cut my high pressure side then looped the low pressure side and cable tied it to the metal collar on the HP side.

I wasnt going to need mine again so thats why i did that.

I have seen some honda boys fit a small resivior in the loop so the rack is alway full...