0-60mph in under 5 seconds

Launch control is basically your only hope. Good power and tyres with a lot of practice at launching it as fast as it can be set up to launch. The effort isnt really worth it in anything other than a dedicated drag car, youll break parts like mad anyway.

I drive a BMW x3 and I would be surprised if a starlet could launch as quickly as it can never mind an M3 or M4.

Id be suprised if an m3 or 4 could hold a candle to my old forged scoob, let alone your x3 lol, whats your point You can make anything do anything with enough effort!

my mx5 turbo does 4.3 average from a gps log.... (273bhp)

my starlet is quite alot faster but much slower to 60. fact is a fwd will never give a true 0-60 on the road.

rolling starts from 50 is where a good comparison is

also my mx5 runs 13.4 1.4mile at 107

starlet has run an 11.8 and 124

The thing is, how relevant is a 0-60 really anyway, we all know starlets are fast from a roll, why bother trying to match bullshit beemers and the like off the mark when you know if youve got the power to weight youll charge past as soon as you make traction :).

4paws do launch quite well, but every time i do it i think right this is the time the halfshafts will snap.

4 paw, probably pretty easy, if willing to launch. But any fwd car would struggle. Even modern ones with more power and technology struggle

just a word on bikes - nothing can beat them in terms of speed obviously, but the thing thats always put me off them is that so many accidents on the road are someone elses fault. and if you are on a bike you basically have a very good chance of being killed in most common medium level accidents for cars.

p.s - i got very good at launching my td04 starlet. 253bhp and good tyres and an LSD and best i could get was a 5 seconds dead maybe a smidge over.

Id be suprised if an m3 or 4 could hold a candle to my old forged scoob, let alone your x3 lol, whats your point You can make anything do anything with enough effort!

I'd very much doubt that M3 and M4 does 0-60 in 4 secs. Theres very few old scoobs that could even generate the traction to achieve that. Who was talking about "your old scoob" anyway the topic was starlets and the OP asked what if the car at the lights was an M3 so I said a starlet would stuggle to beat an x3 never mind an M3.... So whats your point?

A m4 just about does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds an f80 m3 does 3.8 different ball game id say

M4 is quicker to 60 than an M3

The thing is, how relevant is a 0-60 really anyway, we all know starlets are fast from a roll, why bother trying to match bullshit beemers and the like off the mark when you know if youve got the power to weight youll charge past as soon as you make traction :).

Hahahaha the OP compared them to beemers thats why....that was his benchmark.

• 2 months later...

Lol jeez, I had no idea this thread blew up, thank UKSO for multi-quote.

you can do 5 second pulls in a automatic glanza quite easily seen it and been in a few over the years. Autos seem to launch better then manuals. Getting under 5 will be hard but doable i guess with a good setup.

Oh really, would like to see more info on this. I would have thought otherwise and I'm deep into preparations of converting my auto to a manual.

Been riding for nearly a decade and never had a problem.

Commuting is the worst, cars simply don't see you and you need to be mega alert.

It's not uncommon for some Honda tourers to do well over 500k on an original engine. For superbikes it's not a question of reliability as it is maintenance, keep up the maintenance and it will see you happy all day like, but each manufacturer has a bike with some problems.

Bikes aren't that dangerous in themselves, you only have to read trevstars post in the members section to realise cars are no better, that false sense of security absolutely makes it was. I guess the real problem in some bikes will do 70 in first or second so it's really more of the fact it's easier to find yojrself doing high speeds.

That said, stick to the limit and pay attention to the road and you will very rarely be in trouble.

Bikes are way more interactive and even at slow speeds can be really good fun!

Yeah mate, bikes are a lot of fun but not as safe. A lot of silly drivers out there that could end your life if your not alert.

No chance

haha was starting to think this Maddox.

Roads i live near are proper bikers road, Loch Lomond national park kinda area. Dukes pass. Death by decapitation does not sound appealing.

lol

4 paw, probably pretty easy, if willing to launch. But any fwd car would struggle. Even modern ones with more power and technology struggle

Yes, 4paw would probably be the best shout in achieving this. Probably not worth the amount of work unless come across a tidy 4paw in the future.

As long as we can agree, bikes are full on shit.

lol Chops

Launch control is basically your only hope. Good power and tyres with a lot of practice at launching it as fast as it can be set up to launch. The effort isnt really worth it in anything other than a dedicated drag car, youll break parts like mad anyway.

Yeah for real, probably best building something that launches really well rolling in any gear.

I drive a BMW x3 and I would be surprised if a starlet could launch as quickly as it can never mind an M3 or M4.

A stock Starlet would have no problem launching past 2.0D X3, I've blown away enough 120ds in my stock starlet and a 120d is much lighter than an x3. I would have thought a low spec/mid spec tuned starlet would give a 3.0D X3 a good run for it's money. And a M3 or M4 would be a totally different ball game which is why I thought I'd start the thread. I thought maybe a fully forged starlet with all the props and correct set up may stand a chance?

Considering a standard old impreza turbo does 0-60 in 6 seconds, and considering a p1 does it in 4 and a half seconds, i do not doubt your words. I'd bet a forged well set up scoob could easily out run a m3/m4

A m4 just about does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds an f80 m3 does 3.8 different ball game id say

I would have thought they were the same, they both have the same 3.0 engine and do 60 in around 4.5 seconds.

my mx5 turbo does 4.3 average from a gps log.... (273bhp)

my starlet is quite alot faster but much slower to 60. fact is a fwd will never give a true 0-60 on the road.

rolling starts from 50 is where a good comparison is

also my mx5 runs 13.4 1.4mile at 107

starlet has run an 11.8 and 124

Yeah mate, gotta love it when your coming the end of a 50mph zone on the motorway and you put the pedal to the metal and the car just launches so well. Your right though, I think the key to this is not having a fwd set up. Most cars that launch really well are rwd or 4wd. Having said that, I've seen a few mad golfs out there that launch really well on fwd.

Chops, like this perspective mate and probably one I'll be taking. Off the mark is where most of the awkward eye contact is made though haha

2.7 my best 64ft time

Starlets aren't built for charging off the line unfortunately

Phil

Yes, starting to gather now pal.

4paws do launch quite well, but every time i do it i think right this is the time the halfshafts will snap.

haha are 4paws quiet temperamental then? Getting hold of parts must be a ballache aswel

just a word on bikes - nothing can beat them in terms of speed obviously, but the thing thats always put me off them is that so many accidents on the road are someone elses fault. and if you are on a bike you basically have a very good chance of being killed in most common medium level accidents for cars.

p.s - i got very good at launching my td04 starlet. 253bhp and good tyres and an LSD and best i could get was a 5 seconds dead maybe a smidge over.

Bikes have certain laws of physics which inevitably make them quicker. The thing is, superbike vs mcar/amg, you'd probably predict that the superbike would come out as the winner. Whereas starlet vs mcar/amg you wouldn't see it coming. That's why it would be kinda awesome if it was possible.

I can imagine, bet it was a serious bit of kit.

I'd very much doubt that M3 and M4 does 0-60 in 4 secs. Theres very few old scoobs that could even generate the traction to achieve that. Who was talking about "your old scoob" anyway the topic was starlets and the OP asked what if the car at the lights was an M3 so I said a starlet would stuggle to beat an x3 never mind an M3.... So whats your point?

M4 is quicker to 60 than an M3

Hahahaha the OP compared them to beemers thats why....that was his benchmark.

It fine StuDoc72, all my threads are welcome to go in any direction the members care to take it in, i dont mind.

Well a P1 does 0-60 in 4 and half seconds and that's a 'old scoob' out of the factory. Wouldn't be surprised with a forged build that would be much quicker.

Well 5 seconds was the benchmark I set which is similar to an modern amg/m car, not brand new one of course.

A stock Starlet would have no problem launching past 2.0D X3, I've blown away enough 120ds in my stock starlet and a 120d is much lighter than an x3. I would have thought a low spec/mid spec tuned starlet would give a 3.0D X3 a good run for it's money. And a M3 or M4 would be a totally different ball game which is why I thought I'd start the thread. I thought maybe a fully forged starlet with all the props and correct set up may stand a chance?

It fine StuDoc72, all my threads are welcome to go in any direction the members care to take it in, i dont mind.

Well a P1 does 0-60 in 4 and half seconds and that's a 'old scoob' out of the factory. Wouldn't be surprised with a forged build that would be much quicker.

Well 5 seconds was the benchmark I set which is similar to an modern amg/m car, not brand new one of course.

A stock Starlet would launch faster than a 20d X3 most definitely I dont debate that at all. A 30d or a 35d though I very much doubt. A 30d like mine does 0-60 in around 5.7 secs which most old subarus would struggle to achieve never mind a starlet, a 35d will do it in about 5.1. Starlets are fwd they just cant put the power down, they need a rolling start to be competitive in a race against most cars especially modern cars. As far as an M4 is concerned from a standing start.....doubt any starlet would come close regardless. An m4 does it in 4 secs and thats just getting silly.

A p1 is a p1 and if his old scoob was a p1 then im sure he would of said so....and still isnt as quick as an M4.

Anyway my point wasnt to trigger a debate. Its more comparing a 80s/90s FWD to modern 4WD or RWD cars with launch control isnt exactly a fair comparison. Cars are getting faster and faster nowadays and what is now considered an average family car, would have similar specs to what many hot hatches had 20 years ago.

Explain big man.

well, its very simple: bmw<pretty much anything else. Interestingly bmw bikes are not a double negative, but infact stack to be considered double shit.

Edited by Chops

well, its very simple: bmw<pretty much anything else. Interestingly bmw bikes are not a double negative, but infact stack to be considered double shit.

BMW's are practically the benchmark in most categories they operate in and world renowned as "the ultimate driving machine" but wee Chops on UKSO says they're shite, so everyone must be wrong.

I see by your pic that your carer let you use photoshop again, thats cute.

Fuck me,someone's talkin shit about my beloved bmw, better dive to its aid with poorly constructed (ironic lol) retorts. Im not sayin all bmws ever are shit, id love an 840/50, and the rest make great drift cars, u can stack em into the barrier backwards at mach 1 and the world looses nothing :)

Edited by Chops