What do you want from ukso

Right then boys and girls, here at UKSO we've been having a bit of a discussion about how we can evolve the forum, as we are all aware since fb groups have taken off the use of all forums Is at an all time low. So the question is what would bring people back to using them again. More technical info?More traders? New products? More shows? A starlet only gathering? What's missing?

Thanks on behalf of the whole team. :)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't a short answer to the FB vs Forum battle.

In my mind there has to be some form of integration with a particular FB Group, so when a person posts a question on FB it is posted to a forum and vice versa. A reply to the FB post adds a reply to the forum, a reply on the forum adds a comment to the FB post.

I'm not even sure that's technically possible?

I HATE Facebook as a platform for car discussion, it just doesn't work. Good luck finding a post you made a couple of years ago, let alone someone elses, for example. People no longer retain information, they just ask the same stupid questions, over and over.

Long live the forum... use & look at it every single day! Yes Facebook is easier for sales but how do you know who you are truly buying off? At least with the forum you can look at people's previous content etc to see if they are legit and trust worthy. Also the technical stuff is priceless, it annoys me when I see people asking technical questions on Facebook pages when they could of just looked at one of the 100s of 1000s of guides and how to's on the forum. People have put hours of there own time to put these guides together so why not use them and be grateful. Why can't people be active on both platforms.. would make finding parts and sharing knowledge a lot easier 👍

'Copy &I pasted from my Facebook post' apologies

Like Tim said, I don't think there alot you can do to solve the problem. Maybe some way you can link the 2 so people fb build threads, questions and general discussion along with parts for sale all interact with the forum.

I'm not sure if thats possible. Myself I don't have Facebook so I do miss out on whatever goes on

I've always fancied like a glanza/gt registary so you can track who's owned it and whats been done to it. I'm sure some the classic car groups do that

I dont use FB either.

Forums come and go, they always have, this has peaked sadly and it wont go back to the 7 pages of new content a day like it had before.

Its not just FB taking away from the forum, there is less and less starlets aboit these days, less owners.

Just the way of it dude.

It's no fault of the forums it's the type of people that own starlets now 90% of the people on the Facebook pages are 19 year old wanna be gangsters who think they know everything about everything driving around with with fraudulent insurance and thinking they are the dogs balls I personally wouldn't want half of the wankers that are on the fb pages on here

Get one of the mods to run a weekly bonus ball for car parts and put any profit back into the forum could also have a sports betting sub forum beat the bookies type thing for tips etc everyone likes the chance to win a few quid and you know if a load of members get a bet up it's all going on car parts lol

I dont use FB either.

Forums come and go, they always have, this has peaked sadly and it wont go back to the 7 pages of new content a day like it had before.

Its not just FB taking away from the forum, there is less and less starlets aboit these days, less owners.

Just the way of it dude.

That's nr of cars getting broke more and more each year for cash equaling less owners so less traffic at the end of the day another decade and there might be only 30 members left ha ha

Edited by 5e colin

What maddox710 about the registry sounds like a pretty interesting idea. But you'd have to count on people actually bothering to add things to it. Would be awesome if it worked though!

Personally I think the fact that Facebook is sort of instant helps. If I'm stuck on something (quite often) its way quicker to ask on Facebook to get a quick answer and quicker to post things for sale even if they may not be as thorough. And it's easier for me to message people on Facebook to buy something because it's on my phone.

I totally agree with Whitenoize.

You really don't want Facebook users on this forum.

Anyone who is really into their cars use forums. Facebook is for transient people who will take, take, take and give nothing back.

I run a forum myself, and it's not exactly busy, but the calibre of people on there is what counts, not the number.

So long as this forum exists, they'll be members that will use it.

You might get an instant answer to a question via a FB group, but the problem is that that answer is often complete shit, posted by some dickhead who hasn't got a clue what they're talking about.

Surely it can't take much more time just to do a search on here? All these FB users want an answer 'right now', but the answer is already available, you just have to take 5 minutes to go and find it.

Facebook is good for sales and some comical discussions. The forum is where the priceless stuff is at. Met some very decent genuine people on UKSO and everyone is helpful and willing to share info/ideas/thoughts which is a big bonus compared to what Facebook could ever offer. People on UKSO are patient with noobs and understand that everyone has to start somewhere which is really good to see in the community.

Also, more shows, casual car meets in locations accessible to everyone. Switch up the locations so everyone can join in on the fun.. Would like to see all your cars/builds in the flesh! The lads in the classic ford group organize a euro trip and drive to France, Germany etc every year which I think would be good fun.

May also be interesting to create some sort of section friendly competition. i.e 'starlet of the week photos' and 'best progress of the month', 'wheel Wednesdays photos' etc. Not thought about it too much, these are all just some ideas!

Edited by Shyam

we currently do

Japfest silverstone

Japfest Donington

J.A.E

any more shows people want to do if we get enough numbers and there is a member of staff avalible we will happily attend.

some very good points being raised thanks guys keep them coming.

cheers nick :)

Yes would also be good to have some casual car meets where we can meet in a un-used car lot and look at each others cars, hang out and go for a cruise and stuff. I'm not sure what the legality is on this is anymore.

Added some more ideas on edit.

May also be interesting to create some sort of section friendly competition. i.e 'starlet of the week photos' and 'best progress of the month', 'wheel Wednesdays photos' etc. Not thought about it too much, these are all just some ideas!

This is a great idea, unfortunately our admins all have lives of their own so this can be very hard to maintain and run every month :(

As many have said above facebook is the thorn in proper forums sides, if we can share our posts to FB/Insta that would be cool but like the sales section maybe this should be a paid privilege or post count privilege to ensure users are keen to use the forum tools properly? This will also encourage the younger generation to use a real forum not crappy fb know it alls. more paid users = more forum goodies :)

I have to say though, ive been on this forum ages now and its been through some shite times but it's tons and tons better now and admin have worked hard to get it here! well done guys

James

Edited by jimmymac101

I think people use fb just due to its ease. You could maybe look into an app for the forum might get people using it more ? Although id agree that the fb pages are just full of tosh and most are pricks. More group buys member only ? More traders ? I dont know why people dont use it as its full of info and 99% are genuine people

Theres loads of random starlet fb pages most of them full of idiots

I do feel like I'm missing out but I can't deal with all that shit it's a waste of time I refuse to fucking go on it lol I hate people

That's nr of cars getting broke more and more each year for cash equaling less owners so less traffic at the end of the day another decade and there might be only 30 members left ha ha

I just think the starlet turbos are just dying off they are old cars now and facebook ant helping

It's no fault of the forums it's the type of people that own starlets now 90% of the people on the Facebook pages are 19 year old wanna be gangsters who think they know everything about everything driving around with with fraudulent insurance and thinking they are the dogs balls I personally wouldn't want half of the wankers that are on the fb pages on here

Speak my mind :clapping:

Edited by Fizturbo