From boat to train (?) Starlet EP70 1E-L -> 4EFE (?)

**Short introduction of myself:

I'm Teun from Groningen, the Netherlands. I own a red NA Miata. Buildthread on it can be found here. Since 17 June i own a EP70 1E-L. All original car with all the cool stuff (original radio, speakers etc.). I'm still debating if i want to strip the car, sell all the expensive parts and make it a 'trackday car' or a nice sleeper with all interior. I would like to do a 4EFE swap is the price is right. The headgasket of the 1E-L is blown (oil in the coolant...) so i have to make a desicion fast, perhaps you can help me make up my mind. I have 4 senarios right now:

1: Fix up the 1E-L, replace the headgasket, oil and filters: +/- € 60,-

2: Buy 4EFE keep stock gearbox: +/- € 225,-

3: Buy 4EFE with gearbox: +/- € 395,- (-/- € 100,- for the 1E-L and gearbox).

By doing this swap i would need to swap disbrakes in the rear as well (safety first, lol) so that would be another € 175,-.

Would love to hear your opinions about this.

Enough talking, here is a picture of the car:

IMG_20170620_160028.jpg

My inspiration:

Starlet_-_lip.jpg

Starlet_-_kuipstoeltjes.jpg

If anyone of you know what seats these are, i would love to know! I realy like them.

Before doing anything to the car, i had to testfit a seat and steering wheel. Unfortunately they both did not fit and i do not think it suits the style i am looking for.

IMG-20170618-_WA0022.jpg

On the rear there were a lot of stickers. I cleaned them off first and removed the emblems.

Before:

IMG_20170620_160308.jpg

After:

IMG_20170620_172915.jpg

Still unsure if i will keep the Starlet emblem. Total weight savings: 69 grams, LOL.

IMG_20170620_174240.jpg

And got rid of those ugly wheel covers, which saved 1389 grams (!). I was happy to see the original centre caps, but those wheels need a good cleaning and a little respray.

IMG_20170620_175949.jpg

Next up, i checked the timing belt and the air filter. Belt looks fine, it's a Gates PowerGrip HTD 5270XS, does anyone know if these came on the engine from the factory? Airfilter needs to be replaced if i chose to keep the 1E-L.

IMG_20170621_110040.jpg

IMG_20170621_105132.jpg

After that, I cleaned the engine bay up so, when i chose to work on it, i wont be covered in grease.

***viewers discretion advised***

Before:

IMG_20170622_095128.jpg

Removed some stuff that would get in the way when cleaning.

IMG_20170622_102142.jpg

Broke a bolt, yes, good times!

IMG_20170622_102157.jpg

Nastiness:

IMG_20170622_102150.jpg

50/50(isch)

IMG_20170622_104929.jpg

No rust to be found under here

IMG_20170622_114835.jpg

There is some rust on this part though, no biggie i guess. Not noticable when it is mounted even.

IMG_20170622_115731.jpg

Dirty hood:

IMG_20170622_120028.jpg

Clean hood:

IMG_20170622_120831.jpg

Used some silicone spray to prefent the rubber items from tearing up and make the black parts look nice.

IMG_20170622_121239.jpg

Relocated the battery:

IMG_20170622_122929.jpg

End result (for now). I was just kidding about the battery. Would look nice when it is relocated. Also, the hood and battery are not secured because i removed them after the picture since i need to swap the motor or headgasket before i start driving it again.

IMG_20170622_132509.jpg

That's it for now. Please let me know what you think about the 3 options i gave and if you know the brand of the seats (or something familiar). Perhaps you would recommend me to carb the 1E-L or something.

Thank you for reading!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks a great base to work from and you have a great choice for inspiration.

Pretty sure toyota have always used toyota branded cambelts on their engines so thats probably been replaced at some point.

Only thing i would say is if doing a 4e swap why not 5efe swap it? More power and torque for the same amount of work...

The 5EFE is ridiculously economical considering its age. Lots of Paseo owners report 45-50mpg on a long run.

A high mileage one should be fine as long as it's not smoking lots or making any nasty noises. If you keep on top of all the fluids and filters then you shouldn't have any issues. Any engine can go pop mind you, sometimes it's just luck of the draw!

The 5EFE is ridiculously economical considering its age. Lots of Paseo owners report 45-50mpg on a long run.

A high mileage one should be fine as long as it's not smoking lots or making any nasty noises. If you keep on top of all the fluids and filters then you shouldn't have any issues. Any engine can go pop mind you, sometimes it's just luck of the draw!

So stoked to read this! I ask for a compression test of the motor before i buy it, just in case.

Thanks for sharing the info!

Edited by Teun

So stoked to read this! I ask for a compression test of the motor before i buy it, just in case.

Thanks for sharing the info!

No worries - you might get slightly lower economy as the Paseo is a very 'slippery' shape, which helps with mpg. On the other hand, the EP70 is a lighter chassis, so either way it should be pretty good :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Teun! Nice to see another Groninger Starlet enthusiast!

Looks like a very good to start with, little rust!!

If i had to swap the engine (and not go the fte way) i would also recommend the 5E.

Currently i'm working on a EP71 4E-FTE swap, if you have any questions or need help feel free to ask.

Hi Teun! Nice to see another Groninger Starlet enthusiast!

Looks like a very good to start with, little rust!!

If i had to swap the engine (and not go the fte way) i would also recommend the 5E.

Currently i'm working on a EP71 4E-FTE swap, if you have any questions or need help feel free to ask.

Cool project! Only thing i can worry about is the wireloom, the 4E-FTE loom is pretty much the same as a 5E-FE right? Atleast the wires you need to add.

Once i'm back from vacation i'll update the build thread. I already changed the rear drums to dics brakes, bought a Paseo parts car and sold my Miata. Realy stoked to start the build.

Cool project! Only thing i can worry about is the wireloom, the 4E-FTE loom is pretty much the same as a 5E-FE right? Atleast the wires you need to add.

Once i'm back from vacation i'll update the build thread. I already changed the rear drums to dics brakes, bought a Paseo parts car and sold my Miata. Realy stoked to start the build.

Not sure about this, only difference is that 4E-FTE is turbo and the 5E is not.

I'am using an aftermarket standalone ECU from Spitronics.

Stock loom can also work within the p7, there is a guy in The Netherlands that can merge the loom from the 5E and the car together.

You'll have to check out the dutch starlet forum.

Also, you can use the starter, alternator, water- and oilsensors from the original engine. So you can use the original wires and plugs from the car loom. At least, that's what i did.

• 2 weeks later...

another dutch EP70 here on the forum

nice base to start off with

why did you sell the miata?

And indeed...the 5efe is a good combo with the EP70

cant wait to see how this project turns out

The Miata was sold because i lost interest in it and i was scared of the rust that started to show on the car. Since i could make a profit on it this season (summer, duh) i got rid of it.

Currently i am cutting up de wiringloom of the Paseo. I only want the nessesery wiring to start the engine and some signals like oil.

Realy need to update the thread tough. Will do soon!

Update:

Changed the drum brakes to discs:

IMG_20170627_164207.jpg

The disc(s):

IMG_20170629_083159.jpg

Done:

IMG-20170629-_WA0005.jpg

Bought a Paseo donor car:

$_84.JPG

The crown jewels:

IMG-20170711-_WA0021.jpg

Just got done stripping the car and cutting up the wiringharnass:

image-02-08-2017_21-33-06.jpg

IMG-20170808-_WA0004.jpg

IMG-20170808-_WA0001.jpg

What i got rid off:

IMG-20170808-_WA0006.jpg

Already sold a lot of parts of the donor, got some ATS Classics 13x7 ET20 with the money and, like i said, i plan on getting a pre-facelift AW11 steering wheel.

@biggy_ep70

I have to admit that i kinda miss the car. Was a hell of a job to get it clean. It does look better in the picture than it did in real life:

IMG_20170709_215416.jpg

Progress:

Got the 1E out of the Starlet:

IMG-20170809-_WA0000.jpg

Cut out a part so i did not have to hoist the engine up so high.

IMG_20170810_090205.jpg

Got the 5E-FE out of the Paseo:

IMG_20170810_112512.jpg

It appears to be leaking somewere:

IMG_20170810_112503.jpg

IMG_20170810_114440.jpg

IMG_20170810_150815.jpg

Please tell me what you think about the oil on the block. I guess the seals on top (behind the gear) leaks, are there any other spots i should check?

Hi Teun

Fitted the rear disc brakes so i've seen, all in good working order ?

Did you allready did an compression test ? it should be around the 180 psi, 12 a 12.5 bar, DRY

The leakage is common, I cleaned the rocker cover + anything else around it and try to turn the rocker cover bolts/nuts a little and the leaking is gone.. if they still leak afterwards you can always change the gasket.

Gates powergrip is used by toyota, checked that one few weeks ago.

Hi Teun

Fitted the rear disc brakes so i've seen, all in good working order ?

Did you allready did an compression test ? it should be around the 180 psi, 12 a 12.5 bar, DRY

The leakage is common, I cleaned the rocker cover + anything else around it and try to turn the rocker cover bolts/nuts a little and the leaking is gone.. if they still leak afterwards you can always change the gasket.

Gates powergrip is used by toyota, checked that one few weeks ago.