From boat to train (?) Starlet EP70 1E-L -> 4EFE (?)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FML. U know how a half An hour job can turn into a day? So, i tried to drop the engine in but never realised i had to put the Starlet engine mount on the engine, NOOB, i know...

25uid0g.jpg

I was lucky enough to find the mount in my pile of parts. I sold the engine with the mount that bolts on the engine.

Edited by Teun

no biggie

just call the person and asl for your engine mount

im sure they dont need it.... :p

True, i figured out that i still had the most important mount. Only thing is, the one that fits to the block and to the other mount is missing. Fixed it now tough, pretty sure it is strong enough.

Engine is in. I drilled and tapped the hole, all fine. Tried to start the car, it does turn over but wont start. The fuelpump does not prime. Tried to hardwire the pump to the battery but i guess i didn't find the right wires or the pump isn't wired up correct.

Another fun thing happend, NOT. The Starlet battery has the + / - poles on the oppositie sides compared to the one of the Paseo... So i guess i know fried the ecu :'), Saw some Sparks bit the 100a fues did not blow strangely enough but the ecu makes random clicks when the key is at on now.

Any tips on how to trouble shoot the fuel pump?

Edited by Teun

that suckssss

hope you figure out the problem

but how didnt you check that before you plugged in everything tho

did you fix the wires properly(heb je de kabelboom wel zelf gedaan of laten doen?)

I had the battery in and out the car a few times so forgot to take a good look. The wiring is the same as in the Paseo, when i took it out it did run.

As you may have read i did modify the pump. I will try to start the car with starter fluid to rule out the ecu and tegen drop the gastank to check the wiring on the pump since the relay does make a clicking sound.

Found the problem. The ignition switch that i made doesnt function right. If i turn the key to acc the engine starts to crank and the fuelpump should gets a signal from the same ignition.

My guess is that this is because the switch of the Starlet is for a carburated engine, since this does not have the fuelpump it doesnt send a signal or something like that.

I cant realy try the one of the Paseo so i will have to look into this further.

Edited by Teun

Found the problem. The ignition switch that i made doesnt function right. If i turn the key to acc the engine starts to crank and the fuelpump should gets a signal from the same ignition.

My guess is that this is because the switch of the Starlet is for a carburated engine, since this does not have the fuelpump it doesnt send a signal or something like that.

I cant realy try the one of the Paseo so i will have to look into this further.

-Edit, it should work, i Just wired it incorrect i guess. Due to study i cant work on it this and next week. I will het back to it after that.

Changed the wiring to the ignition switch. The car cranks on the right turn of the key now but no spark or fuel. I guess the ecu got fried.

Like i said, i will start diagnosing once i am done with school. Kinda bummed on my dumb ass putting the battery wires on the wrong way.

Edited by Teun

Does the check engine light come on when you turn the key on? If it does the ecu is still powering up so could be ok.

I did not check this but i got it to start and run!

Update: it starts and runs. Since i did not feel like studying all week i did some work on the Starlet. I started by fixing the wiring at the ignition switch. When i got this fixed it didn't start...

Then i figured, the only thing i changed after installing everything in the Starlet is the fuelpump. Perhaps something is causing the problem there.

After dropping the tank i found the problem! The i left the custom fuelline to long, i figured it wouldnt hurt anything. Well, it did. The fuelline got between the tank and the chassis of the car. This caused the line to be restricted and not give any fuel to the fuelrail.

After checking the pump it self i reinstalled everything, tried it, and it started right up!

Realy happy now ofcorse, it's all a learning experience for me since i'm not a mechanic.

I do have a two little questions:

First, were does this line from the fuelrail Go to?

711mkh.jpg

Second, i see some little lines that used to go to the charcoal canister, should i install the canister of delete those lines and cap them off?

Edited by Teun

The fuelpump fuse keeps blowing after i installed the tank back under the car. 

Strange, so out of the car it works fine, installed under the car it desides to blow the fuse :,). Had to drop the tank 99 times now, lol!

Could this happen because of a restriction in the fuelline?

Did some things. Replaced the soldingering and added shrink sleeve on fuelpump wiring.

10hq2w7.jpg

Still shorted and blew the fuse.

Dropped the tank once again and figured it out. The problem being:

24digcl.jpg

This thoughed the tank itself and caused the short. So for everyone doing this at home, make sure it doesnt hit the tank.

I'm out of fuses right now lol. Happy to find the problem tough and fixed the wiring.

Top fix it i removed some of the copper with a file and added electricle tape to make sure it wont short again:

ivaequ.jpg

Checked it by meeting the resistence, still shorted. Added the last piece to the puzzle.

21l7mth.jpg

Edited by Teun
On 10-10-2017 16:30:11, maerijn said:

Coulbe corrosion on the pipe or the clip has become too weak

Replaced the clamp with a smaller and that solved the problem.

Next problem... Remember that the compression was a little low? I figured it was not to low so i bought the car. I may have a blown headgasket :'). On idle and low rpm the engine hesitates:

What are your thoughts about this?

On 12-10-2017 22:27:48, Teun said:

Replaced the clamp with a smaller and that solved the problem.

Next problem... Remember that the compression was a little low? I figured it was not to low so i bought the car. I may have a blown headgasket :'). On idle and low rpm the engine hesitates:

What are your thoughts about this?

I'm pretty sure i found it. When i rev the engine the lights get brighter. I wrote online that perhaps the alternator is bad then. This would make sence since i f*ed it up by mixing up the terminals. 

Will update soon about this.