Power steering delete braided lines ??

Never found anyone that had. Weird size thread. What you could do is have a metal block machine up and use original banjo bolts (if they are banjos, can't remember )

I'll have to get under and have a look mate have you done yours ?

I chopped up a set of pipes and sent the ends away years ago to some cunt/company called boltsbolts. He did them for hondas.

But said the starlet ends where an old type size and he basically couldnt be fucked.

Have you any idea what diameter hose you need I'll just make a temp one outa rubber hose or some braided lines I have here from a catch can and use clips and see if I can get something mate up would it be an10 or an8

I had a high pressure line made up for my electric setup, just went to a pipe place gave them a cut off section of the old pipe and he just made up a replacement.

Only thing was he couldnt match the internal compression/taper fitting but gave me dowty washers to seal it all instead and it works fine. Pretty sure it was just a standard M20 fine thread or something similar.

I'll have to get under and have a look mate have you done yours ?

Nah I just left mine dry unplugged. Broke the car after two weeks so couldn't say if it works. My mate has a metal plate for his bmw rack that's widely used

Just a quick thought could I not get all the fluid out of the rack and fill it with grease and blank the holes up ? I've ordered some an10 braided hose and end caps and clips to loop the hoses for now would be ideal to get a non ps rack but it's my understanding the steering colum needs changing as well and the bar behind the dash and I really can't be arsed with all that

Just a quick thought could I not get all the fluid out of the rack and fill it with grease and blank the holes up ? I've ordered some an10 braided hose and end caps and clips to loop the hoses for now would be ideal to get a non ps rack but it's my understanding the steering colum needs changing as well and the bar behind the dash and I really can't be arsed with all that

First I'm hearing about swapping the bar out.

The ideal solution which I intend to do is.

Grab a non-powersteering rack.

Grab a non-powersteering steering column.

Swap out the necessary components from the non-powersteering column to your powersteering column.

Fit the non-powersteering rack to your hybrid column.

That way you minimise the amount of fabrication work needed. Whilst maintaining the height adjustable functionality.

Of course do as you please, but it will drive a lot nice if you use a non-powersteering rack.

First I'm hearing about swapping the bar out.

The ideal solution which I intend to do is.

Grab a non-powersteering rack.

Grab a non-powersteering steering column.

Swap out the necessary components from the non-powersteering column to your powersteering column.

Fit the non-powersteering rack to your hybrid column.

That way you minimise the amount of fabrication work needed. Whilst maintaining the height adjustable functionality.

Of course do as you please, but it will drive a lot nice if you use a non-powersteering rack.

tbh dude that's way more work than is necessary yes that would be the correct way to do it but it's not going to perform or feel any different whatsoever and finding a non ps rack steering colum etc will be a pain in the ass

Honestly believe the electric steering pump is more effort than it's worth, so is swapping the rack. If it's daily, leave the pump on. If not the steering really isn't that hard with the rack left as is

What? Yes of course it will feel different. It should be night and day between a PS Looped and a Non-PS rack.

Bet the difference is minimal. Not enough for the effort anyway. If it's too hard keep the pump

I ran my 1st GT with looped standard pipes, changed back to an OEM pump and lines shortly after.

Apart from the bay looking neater i found no upside.

Properly set up alignment, good tyres, handling mods etc give a starlet a really good handling feel i think.

I ran my 1st GT with looped standard pipes, changed back to an OEM pump and lines shortly after.

Apart from the bay looking neater i found no upside.

Properly set up alignment, good tyres, handling mods etc give a starlet a really good handling feel i think.

I agree. Removed the pump purely for looks.

Granted different cars and other factors, but the starlet was no harder than the charade which was non pas from factory and alot lighter too.

Aslong as you don't have stupid 8j wheels etc it's a not that hard

What? Yes of course it will feel different. It should be night and day between a PS Looped and a Non-PS rack.

honestly mate the difference would be minimul and in my opinion all that work changing the rack a colum etc isn't worth it they function fine with the pipes looped I just want to make it as tidy a job as possible

I removed mine out of necessity, just didn't have the room in my bay woth the 20v in there. (Without cutting the chassis rail)

I did a few track days and a fair amount of milage with it looped and i never really enjoyed it. It was always lacking a directness that it had with powersteering, the only thing i would say was a bonus was that you felt more of the bumps and undulations in the road but then it also over exaggerated the bump steer.

After having my corolla and the starlet i really didnt enjoy driving the starlet due to the steeing feel alone.

I agree. Removed the pump purely for looks.

Granted different cars and other factors, but the starlet was no harder than the charade which was non pas from factory and alot lighter too.

Aslong as you don't have stupid 8j wheels etc it's a not that hard

exactly mate light cars once you get moving it shouldn't really be an issue you would only really notice the diff parking and 3 point turns etc

Has anyone actually tried filing the rack with grease and getting rid of all the fluid ?

I removed mine out of necessity, just didn't have the room in my bay woth the 20v in there. (Without cutting the chassis rail)

I did a few track days and a fair amount of milage with it looped and i never really enjoyed it. It was always lacking a directness that it had with powersteering, the only thing i would say was a bonus was that you felt more of the bumps and undulations in the road but then it also over exaggerated the bump steer.

After having my corolla and the starlet i really didnt enjoy driving the starlet due to the steeing feel alone.

are you going down the electric pump route morgy ?

I've seen a guide of it being done on an ae86 but you need to fully strip the rack apart remove some seals iirc and bung everything up. There was also a large nut that added preload to it to make the steering lighter or heavier

see I can get a spare rack from my mate to have a play with it's maybe worth looking into