Not so rare 4efe-t starlet love

Yeah that's a decent setup you'll make some good n/a power if you get hold of some cams and a decent exhaust manifold bigger tb you could be pushing 110s maybe higher, 

I reckon from reading my output on the injector cycle I was getting around 85-95 bhp on around 3degrees advance on the dizzy, rolls inlet, sard rrpfr, stock exhaust and the bottom half of the air box deleted.

if I'm honest it still a bit felt slower in 4th and 5th and maybe .5 of a second slower to 62 than, previous starlet which had a better intake setup: cut a 3" hole in the box and piped a cold air feed around the battery to under the bumper in the engine bay tray, and a 2.5 bored out tb

Sadly my bored tb is with some scrapper somewhere in East Anglia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 5:10 PM, J0n4th4n0 said:

Some good n/a power

Well I guess it's time too spill the beans.

This is now a turbo conversion thread.

So I've been collecting parts over the last couple of months got a ct9 turbo,

emanage blue

fujitsubo power getter cat back

Tien lowering springs,

sard rrpfr,

mx5 265 injectors,

glazna head,

gasket kit head bolts

and oil filter relocation for oil feed 

Started some of the but have done a couple of woopies first off modifying the stock manifold with the ct9 flange was a mistake leaves the cat back too low in the exhaust tunnel. And would have been easier to weld one up from scratch. saying I've just bought a eBay one.

My second mistake was drilling the sump while it was still on for the oil return I had read that its generally a bit of a mare so I wanted to avoid dropping it but in drilling it I clipped my Conrod and balance wieght on the crank and am looking at it through a 20mm hole thinking it looks ok but I want to be sure. If it is wankered us it worth just getting forged ones without pistons to replace them or just save the pennies and get 2nd hand one. 

I'll drop some pictures depicting the above and the progress hopefully will be all sorted by Christmas and be ready for a tune.

Peace n love

Joe

Just now, J0n4th4n0 said:

emanage blue

Tien lowering springs,

sard rrpfr,

mx5 265 injectors,

glazna head,

gasket kit head bolts

Started some of the but have done a couple of woopies first off modifying the stock manifold with the ct9 flange was a mistake leaves the cat back too low in the exhaust tunnel. And would have been easier to weld one up from scratch. saying I've just bought a eBay one.

My second mistake was drilling the sump while it was still on for the oil return I had read that its generally a bit of a mare so I wanted to avoid dropping it but in drilling it I clipped my Conrod and balance wieght on the crank and am looking at it through a 20mm hole thinking it looks ok but I want to be sure. If it is wankered us it worth just getting forged ones without pistons to replace them or just save the pennies and get 2nd hand one. 

I'll drop some pictures depicting the above and the progress hopefully will be all sorted by Christmas and be ready for a tune.

Peace n love

Joe

How do I rename my thread

11 hours ago, J0n4th4n0 said:

emanage blue

Tien lowering springs,

sard rrpfr,

mx5 265 injectors,

glazna head,

gasket kit head bolts

Peace n love

Joe

forged conrods dont fit standard pistons 

On 12/6/2018 at 9:25 PM, J0n4th4n0 said:

Progress will hopefully be all sorted by chrismass

What does UKSO think do I drive?

I'm thinking it looks worse than it is.

I'm happy I took the sump of tho was a lot of swarf in there kinda disappointed in MCM: how to turbo.

drilling sump without dropping, I wouldn't recommend even if I hadn't hit my rod I would had swarf in there can't be good.

Maybe some more would have come out with running a lot of oil through but not worth IMO.

IMG_20181209_120700.jpg

I guess I hadn't... Any pinches of salt were still a under seasoned wrench operator.

Thinking I'm going just remove rod check for damage clean up surfaces and replace bearings.

Heres some more Picts of stuff I've done/ stuff I've collected:

PS thanks idrees for the fujitsubo fits a dream

IMG_20181209_131745.jpg

IMG_20181209_131724.jpg

IMG_20181209_132718.jpg

IMG_20181209_131951.jpg

IMG_20181209_131805.jpg

IMG_20181209_132809.jpg

The issue with the rod is you've now made a place where stress's and fractures can occur.

When these sorts of parts are made, they're treated to stop fractures occuring.

When you expose the metal like that, and introduce angles, you're allow for cracks a place to start.

I'm not a mechanic, but I've done a lot of reading up on metals under load, and that's what I've read about. Not sure if it applies here, but I'd imagine it would.

If this were me, it would be crank out to be treated and put  back in. But someone with more knowledge will be able to shed some more light here.

You drilled the sump while it was still bolted to the engine.....oh dear 8o

Anyway, the question is what is your budget?

They are an easy engine to work on, I'd suggest take the engine out and do it properly, as the standard 4efe clutch won't hold the power anyway so you'll have to take the box out.

I build performance and race engines. If you need any advice or help drop me a PM.

That crank will be fine by the way with a fettle.

Matthew

So I don't want this thread to become a fail thread of all the stupid things i'v done to my car, which I can't deny it entirely isn't.

Im sure most of you these kinda things probably are elementary.

Too much silicon, left it 24hr to set before torquing but was still liquid, dispite looking the part from the outside after a couple bolts at 8nm it was everywhere where it shouldn't.

Well off to go learn myself, enjoy. (Probably just a beer tho)

IMG_20181210_205550.jpg

IMG_20181210_205534.jpg

Oh dear, please stop now.

What have you even used for the sump, bathroom sealant?! You use a decent RTV silicone.

Are you going to plastigauge the bearings? I can't imagine you are. 

Why don't you leave the engine building to us professionals? 

Yeah 2 f ups in a row. 

I guess I just really wanna see it myself, experience what it was to do that, and forever know that part of your car. But I can venture beyond my knowledge/ability and stuff like that happens.

Yeah bathroom silicon.. something did tell me I shouldn't but I couldn't understand why. + I had read on some pistonheads thread it was the "ok" thing. 

16 hours ago, Padders said:

Oh dear, please stop now.

What have you even used for the sump, bathroom sealant?! You use a decent RTV silicone.

Are you going to plastigauge the bearings? I can't imagine you are. 

Why don't you leave the engine building to us professionals? 

I feel like you are being pretty harsh Padders, as I said on TGTT, we're not all mechanics and some of us like to learn. He's not harming anyone by having a go and is probably learning a lot. Sorry we're not all professionally trained but there are a lot of gearheads on here who got where they are today by making mistakes and learning from them

3 hours ago, maerijn said:

Jesus christ.. ofcourse it's not going to withstand any high temperatures

Get a friend or family who is mechanically inclined enough who can help you with this?

And we're all friends here, if you got a question, instead of randomly searching Piston Heads, why not throw it up on here and let some of us answer those questions.

I hear the only stuff worth using for the Sump is this VW stuff, it's not cheap though.

Either way mate, keep persisting. It's all a learning experience and these engines are pretty forgiving. As I say, lots of expertise on here, I would ignore Paddy, he was calling me stupid on TGTT for asking questions...

Fair play for having a go lad, its a good way to learn but it can be costly. Trust me, I've caused myself a few headaches by not doing my research or asking a few questions.

If you're in doubt about anything, have a quick search in the tech area for some key words to what you're doing. Theres a search function to narrow things down. 

Secondly failing that, bung a post up asking some questions, outlining what you're doing and what info you'd like to know. although it may not seem it at times, we are a friendly bunch who want to see people and their projects succeed :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Calum122 said:

I feel like you are being pretty harsh Padders, as I said on TGTT, we're not all mechanics and some of us like to learn. He's not harming anyone by having a go and is probably learning a lot. Sorry we're not all professionally trained but there are a lot of gearheads on here who got where they are today by making mistakes and learning from them

And we're all friends here, if you got a question, instead of randomly searching Piston Heads, why not throw it up on here and let some of us answer those questions.

I hear the only stuff worth using for the Sump is this VW stuff, it's not cheap though.

Either way mate, keep persisting. It's all a learning experience and these engines are pretty forgiving. As I say, lots of expertise on here, I would ignore Paddy, he was calling me stupid on TGTT for asking questions...

You can't learn about how to build an engine correctly over a few weeks on a forum. I'm not being harsh, I'm being realistic. He doesn't know what he's doing and it will end up costing him more money. I've offered him help, so I'm not being harsh at all.

For the record my name isn't Paddy, nor do you have to use VW sealant. High temp RTV silicon is what he needs. 

If you don't know what you are talking about then don't second guess or miss inform people, because that's how mistakes happen.

Will be weighing up my options over the next week, need to stop and figure out what I'm doing I have been pushing something I need more time to complete.

Thank you Padders for offering the help and to rest of you with all your feedback. 

won't give up her!

Namaste

Joe