Not so rare 4efe-t starlet love

I got a starlet ep98 this march and have been loving it admittedly its my first drive but i'v fell in love with it.

I've decided to go after the n/a power because its less conspicuousness and less expense to start yes i know it can get very pricey but simply i can't afford the the hole turbo, mani, exhaust and intercooler even with ebay its well over 400 pounds to get the thing rolling.

its my daily but i don't need it to commute the other reason i feel like it will be better on the insurance when and if i do declare.

so plans as stand are:

gasket set ( skimmed maybe)

rolla mani

rolla 4-2-1 exhaust side exit

e manage blue found a ebay on i maybe winning tomorrow =s'

wheels banded or find a cheap ish nice jdm style rims

think after that im prolly gunna be happy with it (for a bit)

So this even i was messing around in the engine bay and took the TB to bore out.

LOL DONT do this theres not enough meterial.

It was a mare for me to get the thing off, took me a good hour, I know fucking philips head screws all stripped on the tb lowers!!! that connects to the coolant channel which surprised me the tb get coolant??

Anyways I digress i ended up only expanding the aperture to 47mm only 2mm larger than standard leaving a mere 2mm wall thickness in some places. i only did it because it took me a hour to get the thing off and seemed like a waste

I still need to sort the new throttle flange thingy doesn't close completely so its reving, annoying! i think the diameter is too large still that or the original is not actually completely round which im yet to check

long story Short don't just don't buy a new tb

which brings me to a question do throttle bodies have a standard bolt circle

What Tb should if i was to get one is there any aftermarket universal thing

peace n love

joe

Edited by J0n4th4n0

If you look at modern performance head designs they actually resemble FE heads more than toyotas older GE heads. I know the rest of the engine is also in part responsible but theres a tuned n/a 4afe making more power than a lot of tuned 4ages.

Turbo will be the easiest way to make power but if you want to go N/A go for it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

To me the keys for the Na is mint tyres, coilovers mani decat exhaust and just strip it to the bare minimum it can be made light as a feather it would be a fun car

This, it Really is the cheapest mod you can do. Get rid of the sound proofing and all the unnecessary crap.

See if you can get some nice light weight 14"s too, smaller wheels help with acceleration. A really light wheel would be around the 4kg mark, maybe even a bit less with a 14".

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

To me the keys for the Na is mint tyres, coilovers mani decat exhaust and just strip it to the bare minimum it can be made light as a feather it would be a fun car

This! It's never going to be a fast car so I'd spend more on handling, my old n/a embarrassed many people on roundabouts and twisties etc. All it had was rolla mani, exhaust and air filter, and good tyres and lowering springs

I had a GT shell that i dropped a N/a engine into and the JDM 100ps ecu etc.

It wasnt fast though. But it was quite fun. And it shot flames.

After the basic bolt ons N/a tuning isnt cheap.

What to do is.

Add lightness. Get some cheap semi slicks. Get a few braces into it. Cheap bucket seat / harness and a racing type steering wheel.

You can pick up that lot for few hundred quid if you shop smart.

Thanks for the advice!

ill start saving the pennies for the handling as right now its totally bollox starting with some 14"s

i'm actually p happy with the power, it sounds nice with the diy intake mod (found some aluminium drain pipe at work at connected it with duct tape and 2.5" intake ducting) sometime overtaking is shamefull at high-speed.

which make me think damn i should just turbo it but sadly its not realistic for me right now as the budget doesn't pass much over 100 quid a month for getting mods.

sorted the throttle body now seems i aimed for making the seal too tight at was sticking before it close after accelerating lightly wire brushed it and rounded it the edges with some 600grit at hit the body with some cutting wax, it now idling like a dream certainly a little louder but proformance wise i think the 2mm i removed didn't actuate to much

peace n love

joe

heres some pics of the tb being bored and some attempts at the buttlefly:

http://imgur.com/a/Vof6Z

Edited by J0n4th4n0
  • 2 weeks later...

Got these yesterday from north Devon off eBay for 40 quid,

Yokohama a539s also got a set of alloy knock offs for 45 quid will be getting those on next week sometime.

http://imgur.com/a/LxO8g

Brakes a suspension next I guess then I reckon I'm done with the handling for a bit.. I think.

Any suggestions for a cheap brake upgrades.

Also what colour should I paint the rims, I'm thinking like a a copper brown.

Cheap and easy brake upgrade is to swap the NA caliper carriers for Glanza ones, this allows you to run the larger Glanza discs. Put some decent pads on and that's all you need for an NA. Braided lines are good too.

Cheap and easy brake upgrade is to swap the NA caliper carriers for Glanza ones, this allows you to run the larger Glanza discs. Put some decent pads on and that's all you need for an NA. Braided lines are good too.

Better upgrade again .... celica st202 set up ;) loads of info on this in brakes section!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Been a While... not been working on the much recently due to lack of time for the laborious  interior which i'm trying to fabricate some rear panels for speakers and facing much of the troubles of modding a n/a with parts being so scarce anyways  i'v been looking out for obx/hotshots exhaust mani there no where to be found so i thought i know ill just make one!  I'm really a novice when it come to this as i have no actually industry experience, is it possible or am i shooting too high, i thought i could just copy the 4-2-1 obx/hotshots manifold. im well aware it could be couple days of work to get the manifold made at my skills but it i get more motivation when i know the work i'm putting could result in some gains. just waiting on the next paycheck for the materials now really.

I also may have destroyed my door mainly because i live in Devon and wall are far to close to roads, but as with every dink i'v put on her so far i'v gone and painted something silly over it, expect pics.

peace n love

Joe

• 1 month later...

I rolled her :cray: in a s bend on the way to work hard to say exactly what happened but it was dark and dipped my head light as there was on coming was doing about 65-70 (way too fast for the road ) slammed the brakes and brakes locked up and fish tailed me in to opposite side bank and rolled, Maybe this wouldn't have happened can't say I can complain escaped rolling my car unscathed and props to other driver narrowly dodge me. Feel pretty lucky I'm alive. Sorry ukso another starlet rests with the stars. So i guess thread is being cut short of its conclusion for a while.

I'll be back. Mx5 mk1 just doesn't feel the same

https://imgur.com/gallery/H5fVf

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm also wanting to make more power but also wanting to keep the car N/A. I'm just thinking I could just take a few parts from the 4E-FTE, Port the intake and *attempt* to find performance cams. I've already got a corolla intake manifold and a Japspeed De-cat exhaust system waiting to be put in. The Japspeed in theory should sound like a constipated hippo but surprisingly makes a decent noise and helps at the high end a bit.