Opinions on MERCEDES BENZ C220 diesel 09 upwards

Right as ye all know the gt turbo starlet i have is my 2nd car and not my daily i have a gt tdi golf for that but im sick of paying donkey high tax as i live in the rep of Ireland so im on the look out for a new daily in the lower tax bracket.

I am pretty much settled on a 09 upwards MERCEDES BENZ C220 diesel they look nice and there isnt many around me and are going for an alright price up the north of Ireland even with VRT on top

I am willing to travel to the north for one because even the rep of Ireland reg ones are nearly €5000 more and dont have half the add ons.

Anyone actually own one or know someone who got one or had a few in for a service because there is something in the back of my head saying its a merc they cant be that cheap surely

Any info would be greatly appreciated

I've an 09 c220 Cdi estate auto

Zero bother with it, only thing that I would say is that for a diesel they aren't economic 40mpg is good in them. I'm closer to 30 with town driving

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

What you want is a vw golf 1.6 tdi bluemotion tax is free well mine was and afew others i made it into a full golf r replica inside and out with low mileage of 25k on clock 1 owner from new on a 12 plate and insirance was cheap too now i have a 65 plate a class mer a140 aport line tax £20 year insirance ok as my daily

I've got a 16 plate 220 diesel manual 'sport' black on black leather as my daily can't fault it but should have got the auto!

It's time is up and I can't find another (got it pre reg so at a discount) merc not letting them go cheap so having to get a golf r .

Just one thing don't leave the merc sitting around I didn't use it for a couple of weeks and the handbrake sized on seems discs rust up real quick

• 8 months later...

I wouldn't touch a Mercedes with a 10' tarry barge pole!!  Their Quality control had gone out the Window. Before I retired in 2006 I bought 3 New Sprinter Chassis Cabs from MUTEC in Dublin, and had them extended and beavertailed to carry cars. One of them went on fire after 2 weeks. MB wouldn't honour the Warranty.  My late American GF had a brand new E320, and that car was a bag of nails. It even snapped both lower wishbones. Crankshaft Pulley fell apart, literally!! Seems there was a recall for this problem. Windows sticking was another fault.  She finished up donating it to a Charity, and claiming tax relief.   Guy at end of my street knew I worked for MB for 35 years, and asked my opinion, as he was trading his Volvo Estate. I told him to get a Jap car, as they are far superior. He went ahead and got a Merc SUV.   Spoke to him 3 weeks later, and he said he wishes he'd taken my advice. He hates his new MB.  I can honestly say that I wouldn't buy ANY German car now.  BMW are ruthless when it comes to protecting their Badge. Wish they'd been as fast addressing the multitude of faults on their BINI.  Friend of mine had a complete Auto gearbox failure after 4 months, took it back to BINI Dealership in Miami, and they trotted the old fail safe excuse...driver abuse!!  Look at the VW emissions fiasco.  Then you had the EU hammering Audi for unfair practice. Germans were crossing into Austria and buying cars cheaper than they could in Germany. So Audi threatened the Austrian Dealers that they would lose their Franchise unless they stopped. Somebody had the balls to report them to the EU, who absolutely crucified Audi for trying to restrict free trade across borders. Mercedes even pulled the Franchise from one garage I hauled for, because one of this Garages other sites was going to sell Lexus.   Even then MB knew how good the Lexus was compared to their offerings, and was rightly very worried. One of my old drivers carried on my business after I retired, and continued to buy Sprinters as feeders for the Artics.  However, after blown engines, he bought a new Nissan NV400. He swears by it, and wishes he'd bought them earlier. Far superior MPG, and excellent Warranty.  Also a damned sight cheaper, and importantly, a far lower Tare. So your payload is more, with less chance of being overloaded.

ps...Confession...I forgot my 1970 VW Karmann Convertible sitting at the bottom of my garden. Does that count? LoL