Exhaust fumes in cabin / bad water pump

Hi all, slowly getting my starlet up to basic operating level...couple of lingering problems remain, I wonder if they might be connected in some way.

I can still smell exhaust in the cabin. I've sprayed soapy water down the entire length of the exhaust apparatus, from the engine to the end pipe, no convincing bubbles. I say convincing as the apparatus is very hot and the liquid boils and evaporates on first contact. When sticking my head as close as possible too, I can't smell any exhaust. But whilst in the cabin, not immediately, but after driving for 5 minutes, I start to notice it and it's very unpleasant as you can imagine. I thought it might be that the car boot wasn't closed properly and that it was coming in through there and circulating in the cabin, but that doesn't appear to have been the problem after all, as the boot is definitely sealed now. Struggling to know what to test next. Could a dodgy exhaust end pipe somehow flow back into the car? If so, how?

The other issue is the bag of spanners noise, the coarse scraping sound which I've identified with a long screwdriver to be the water pump. I've noticed leaks of fresh coolant below it too. I'll get around to replacing that shortly, but wondered if there's any way the two issues could be related?

Any tips and advice much appreciated.

Worked it out eventually...the two are completely unconnected of course. I stuffed a rag in the exhaust pipe then tried the soapy water squirt on the exhaust manifold, and there a crack was obvious, with bubbles streaming out. I took the rag out and went back to spray the same crack in the manifold and it didn't show anything...so all hail the rag in the tail pipe, what a legend.

Guess it's just an exhaust manifold replacement. Should I get the same one, or is there something better that can be retrofitted?

Thanks nick, it was the original i believe. Probably don't have time or money to go overboard on upgrading, general plan at the moment is to get her working nice and smoothly again. Sort this exhaust leak, replace the water pump, replace the head gasket that's leaking oil, the spark plugs, oil change, wing mirror...and then see where we are. just wondering if this crack in the exhaust manifold is a good opportunity to swap the old one out for a new one, or should i try to patch it?