Fuel Gauge and Low Warning Light

I have not long had the Starlet and to be honest it is a great little whip for work.

The car is running a dream but I have noticed the fuel gauge behaves a little odd. If I fill it up it takes awhile to get to half then it seems to empty really quickly. But I struggle to fill it up with more than 38 litres and the warning light as never illuminated.

Firstly does the low warning light illuminate (I know it is there as you can see the "shadow" in the clocks)?
Are the gauges know for ready odd or is the tank a weird shape?

Ta

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

if its working then it illuminates when you get by the "E" dash or just a little under.

from testing it, iirc it still has about 7 litres in it at this point

the guage is operated by a resistor type float which is attached to the fuel pump assembly like in this pic

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/TOYOTA-STARLET-EP91-Fuel-pump-1998-71458km-23220-74020-2322074020-/352081643898?hash=item51f9b3897a:g:8DcAAOSwiQ9ZOI1Y

they have been known to go bad over the years...and yours may need replacing

or could be the bulb on the guage cluste ris bad or broken connection---you would have to test all these possibilities

and yes, the last "half" of the gas goes quicker than the first "half" due to the shape of the tank...so half way is not really a true half volume

to the best of my knowledge it seem the ep91 has a 40/45 litre sized tank

Edited by gorganl2000

My sender has started messing about since I swapped tanks over few weeks back. When you get in it will read the level but soon as you start driving it drops below the E then up and down lol, my previous experiences with celica,s was similar and I swapped a few sender's in those over to fix it