What should I be looking for?

Hi guys, just joined the forum and was looking for some advice,

I want to buy a ep91 but I have no experience with toyotas as i currently drive a slow micra!

Any advice on what to look out for on the cars such as rust spots or turbo related stuff etc. will be really helpful.

Cheers!

Knocking = fucked engine (repairable).

(black/blue) Smoke out back = fucked rings or turbo.

White smoke out back (steam) = possible hg failure.

Low compression (if u test it) = engine rebuild

Plenty of dodgy sellers (see negative feedback area).

But also plenty of good sellers aswel as forum people who will help you with whatever you buy

Knocking = fucked engine (repairable).

(black/blue) Smoke out back = fucked rings or turbo.

White smoke out back (steam) = possible hg failure.

Low compression (if u test it) = engine rebuild

Plenty of dodgy sellers (see negative feedback area).

But also plenty of good sellers aswel as forum people who will help you with whatever you buy

Rust mate, look for rust, these are old cars and some of them havent been so well looked after.

Also check the chassis rails under the bonnet for signs of accident repair.

As above, look for smoke out the exhaust, slight steam will be condensation in this weather, if you are concerned then smell it and if it doesnt smell like anti freeze then it is condensation.

Refer to the other advice above, for the other smokes.

Luckily most things for these cars are replacable and readily available so if something is wrong it shouldnt necessarily put you off but should only strengthen your case to look for money off the asking price to compensate.

Best thing is before you go and view a car, post the ad in here and most of us can normally tell you what to look out for just by seeing the ad.

Look along the side skirts, they can easily conseal rotten sills. Generally they arent too bad for rust but they are 20 years old now and if water and shit has been sitting under them they can go.

Been a few fuel tanks rusting out along the seam so look for condition of that.

Knocking suspension components, not really much to these cars so an easy fix there usually.

Look at reciepts, servicing on these is pretty key so oil and filter reciepts would be good.

Also for me, has it got an air filter, quite a few of these are run without which personally i would avoid.

Also, an engine can have low compression and be perfectly healthy.

I know people on here were getting 110 PSI across all four cylinders after a rebuild.

The key is ACROSS all four.

So ensure that all cylinders are of similar condition.

That's not true. 110 is far too low unless it's a low comp build.

Look at wiring, if that is bodged it's a good indication what the rest of the car might be like.

Buy the most expensive/best one you can afford.

Check normal things like oil etc

Buying a starlet these days is a minefield. Too many dodgey sellers recently.

Dont be afraid to travel the distance for the right one.

If the seller is sound they should have no problem with sending you lots of detailed pics and vids.

Same with whe you go view the car, if they wont let you do a comp test or jack the car up then theyre obviously hiding something. Avoid cunts like that, plenty of these type people punting starlets off recently.

As for mechanical issues, lads have pretty much summed it up.

Gearbox syncros are something to watch out for.

An easy way to check for rust in the sills is whip of the rear inner door trim and shine a torch down. If you can see daylight then that aint good! Haha.

Also view / buy the car in the day time! I know it sounds daft but it can be very east to miss / overlook things when buying a motor when its dark and raining.

They are worth it in the end though 8)

Buying a starlet these days is a minefield. Too many dodgey sellers recently.

Dont be afraid to travel the distance for the right one.

If the seller is sound they should have no problem with sending you lots of detailed pics and vids.

Same with whe you go view the car, if they wont let you do a comp test or jack the car up then theyre obviously hiding something. Avoid cunts like that, plenty of these type people punting starlets off recently.

As for mechanical issues, lads have pretty much summed it up.

Gearbox syncros are something to watch out for.

An easy way to check for rust in the sills is whip of the rear inner door trim and shine a torch down. If you can see daylight then that aint good! Haha.

Also view / buy the car in the day time! I know it sounds daft but it can be very east to miss / overlook things when buying a motor when its dark and raining.

They are worth it in the end though 8)

Too many tyre kickers round these days, thats what puts people off. You'll go to all the hassle of supplying all the relevant pics and paperwork, doing such tests to satisfy them. Only for the cunts to turn round and either make a daft offer or say they've seen one cheaper.

Too many tyre kickers round these days, thats what puts people off. You'll go to all the hassle of supplying all the relevant pics and paperwork, doing such tests to satisfy them. Only for the cunts to turn round and either make a daft offer or say they've seen one cheaper.

Fair point man, there is a lot of that but suppose its to be expected with all the dreamers about!

I actually hardly ever sell cars. And every time i have its been the first person to view it buys it. Been lucky.

Fair point man, there is a lot of that but suppose its to be expected with all the dreamers about!

I actually hardly ever sell cars. And every time i have its been the first person to view it buys it. Been lucky.

I hate having to sell cars. And no matter how transparent you try to be, they'll always pick fault to knock money off. I must have had 12 people come to buy my glanza, and you could tell straightaway that none had any mechanical knowledge or the money to buy it. All they wanted before anything was a test drive. They didnt ask to see any paperwork or ask the right questions. It's just as much a minefield for sellers as it is buyers these days.

I hate having to sell cars. And no matter how transparent you try to be, they'll always pick fault to knock money off. I must have had 12 people come to buy my glanza, and you could tell straightaway that none had any mechanical knowledge or the money to buy it. All they wanted before anything was a test drive. They didnt ask to see any paperwork or ask the right questions. It's just as much a minefield for sellers as it is buyers these days.

Well atleast this buyer seems to be doing thr right thing by asking for a bit of background and relevant info.

Personally I wouldn't buy one without doing a comp test it doesn't tell everything but it's the minimum imop

When I sell them as well I'd let people them take the thing apart if needs be I'm fussy as fuck myself so even when I buy them to sell I end up treating them like my own and doing way to much to it 😂

Personally I wouldn't buy one without doing a comp test it doesn't tell everything but it's the minimum imop

When I sell them as well I'd let people them take the thing apart if needs be I'm fussy as fuck myself so even when I buy them to sell I end up treating them like my own and doing way to much to it

Wish they were all like u dude in that respectPosted Image

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...