Mrnoris N/A Daily Progress report

I always end up waffling with these things so lets stick to the facts…

Bought an NA EP91 in 1AO blueish silver with 74K on it, as a cheap beater to and from work and a year on I love it, so just going to track updates, repairs mods etc here, since it has earned some attention.

When I bought it I spotted/was informed of these issues with it:

Well overdue the 60k (timing belt, all filters, plugs, oil etc)

OSF lightly crashed (badly repaired) but straight underneath

NSF suspension knocking

Juddering when meshing clutch

Bent rear wiper arm

Would need a couple of tyres soon

Very slight coolant leak

Rear number plate hazed

I used to work in parts at Lexus so grabbed genuine parts cheap and decided while I was at it might as well replace all belts so the following weekend it got:

Timing belt

spark plugs

Oil filter

Sump plug washer

Air filter

Pollen filter (which was butterz, probably at least 5 years old)

Toyota oil

Screenwash

Alternator/waterpump belt

(Toyota sent me the wrong PAS belt twice!)

Ran it for a year with the (very) old PAS belt until I could be bothered to change it. Since summer has ended the alternator belt has been squealing in cold/damp conditions.

6jbtP4p.jpg

Here it is parked outside with my old clio being hauled away as spares or repairs, hated that car, and my ovlov 960 on the left.

After 6 months I decided a few comfort related improvements were required:

The OE sony cassette display didn’t work and had to go

Aerial needed fixing

Cupholders were required

qnE7l4dh.jpg

Had an alpine in stock and modded the old aircon blank for the USB input. Was originally going to try to bodge the alpine usb cable in – pressfit style but had to grab a panel mount, which is why the opening is a bit oversized. Need to black out the screws when I get a chance. White plastic dust is from filing out the socket behind (I’m never going to put aircon in this so…).

LFgYVk0.jpg

Didn’t know at this point that there were OE cupholders for glanzas so grabbed that truly awful cup holder and “free box”. You can’t even put a medium Mcdrinks cup in it…

By the middle of summer it REALLY needed tyres. I couldn’t bring myself to spend money on more 145/80 R13s, I drive a bit too hard for that much sidewall so after a bit of research, I found these on ebay and worked out they would fit. This was also when I found the UKSO forum :).

ZWVJmHn.jpg

Grabbed these with michi pilots for £62 about 2 hrs drive away in Worcester. Under a 1er for 4 wheels and tyres including fuel is what I’m after. Owned by a middle aged guy who looked after them, so aside from corrosion from too much cleaning and some slight age cracks, they’re in very good nick

L06d1Nu.jpg

Fitted the following weekend Hopefully people won’t be too offended in either camp about the mixed brands but they were cheap, they fit with zero modification and I can’t afford aftermarket alloys.

Planning on debadging the centrecaps and silvering them temporarily until I refurb the wheels and probably go gloss white once it is on a set of used coilies.

Once these tyres and wheels went on I fell in love with the car. So a plan has been hatched, and the general aim is relatively subtle, cheap, and era appropriate mods where possible prioritising in descending order:

Cheap daily driving

Fast road –ish

Make it a bit more desirable but not baitcar

I am as skint as I usually am at the moment so starting small and working my way up:

42REGSqh.jpg

rFJzMgBh.jpg

5H82VAth.jpg

HR2xjL4h.jpg

VwXlCLEh.jpg

Gingercator delete – (Thanks for the guide Morgey! Saved me some broken clips)

Looks like that bodge repair has been done more than once since there is an aftermarket cluster in there. Had to enlarge the clip holes to get OE lense to fit. Will silver the inside of the clusters and bulbs once I have sourced and fitted new wing bonnet bumper and cluster.

Spent most of Saturday farting about cleaning my shed and then dealing with the alternator belt squeal. So far so good. After lots of research on here I thought the alternator was seizing but not too sure now. Checked all pulleys for play, free spinning, alignment etc, added a bit more tension, sprayed some maintenance fluid into the bearing on the front of the alternator and cleaned everything with brake cleaner.

jW9BhgAh.jpg

Looked to me like my WP and alt pulleys are out by the thickness of a pulley face:

jaXs6IHh.jpg

Anyone confirm this is how they are supposed to look? Belt looks shunted over to me.

Anyway no squeal yet so fingers crossed.

Couple weeks ago I had enough of the audio so:

rRTMkfBh.jpg

pulled the sub to get theile small parameters for rebuilding the box, in the end the box is basically close enough to the correct size so just refurbed it.

IyIisk5h.jpg

previous owner bodged the port up

ijCSFqvh.jpg

3ho83kCh.jpg

had this in stock

ATUZ8c7h.jpg

trimmed the flange off the internal flare and flattened one edge for clearance

8zUPl2fh.jpg

added neoprene gasket... love this stuff - everything that screws to the box got this added to it

DJeqU7Zh.jpg

original internal wire vs new 14AWG pure copper

wDNzhOTh.jpg

testing with a computer PSU

l4jk9mbh.jpg

soldering the power teminal

gW5IY7zh.jpg

routing power cable through OE loom

z96EzlJh.jpg

trimmed the mounts (badly) and added a gasket to seal against

Somehow I managed to not get pics of the 4” alpine cheapo 2ways I fitted in the front. Theyre ok I guess, zero response below 120hz though. Might try to do a custom build with 6” in the front when I get time/money.

I know the sub is going against the philosophy of lightness but for now I need a bit of bass and I had it in stock for a few years and never heard it. So it’s staying for now since I just refurbed it.

Port is about an inch too short so tuning frequency is 40 odd hz rather than 31 which is what the software recommends for flat response. So it has a slight peak at 40hz but my sensitive ears can tollerate it (and I have trouble with many club PA systems).

Found out my alpine HU has an intermittent fault on the low level (sub) outputs so it has been sent to the approved repairer. Was going to have a go myself but I absolutely love that HU and for £60 they are responsible for it (stuff I dismantle doesn’t always reassemble!).

It's been with them over 2 weeks now. The engineer has called to say they agree it has an intermittent fault but can’t get it to do it while the unit is apart, only when it’s together. So need to do more testing.

That’s all for now… I guess a to do list will help me keep track of my progress so:

Needs doing:

Sort alternator belt squeal (fingers crossed)

Intermediate service

NSF knocking – had a pry when I was working on alternator belt. Still cant find obvious culprit.

Want to do soon:

Front end repair

Yaris rear wiper arm (seen on pinske’s progress thread, mines bent)

Glanza cup holder

OS parcel shelf rubber

SR clocks

Clear side repeaters, silver indicator bulbs

Rolla inlet mani

4-2-1 exhaust

4/7afe throttle body

100PS ECU

air filter upgrade

Change steering wheel

Glanza/celica ST202 brake conversion

Used coilies, top mounts and panhard

General clean and tidy exterior

96 spec glanza rear clusters with custom reverse light

Once I am there or there abouts, I will re-evaluate the direction its going in and my finances and see where I want to take it next.

Would love a 2zzge but more likely to be a turbo 4efe in future if at all.

Any advice on NSF knocking appreciated, otherwise its going to end up with swap outs starting with cheapest and working up. My gut says topmount but its not visibly dead…

Edited by mrnoris

It was all looking good til the Law and Order boxset

Guilty, your Honour! Sorry couldn't resist... :lol:

Sounds like its going to be a cool little car. What 4-2-1 are you thinking of using?

Based on what people are saying here: http://www.ukstarletowners.com/topic/101218-best-exhaust-manifold/

Would likely be an ee100/101 from a scrap yard to keep things cheap (if there are still any around). I need to do a bit more research for myself and also likely to be dependant on whats available.

Would love a 5efhe manifold but I don't even know what they look like plus they are extra hard to come by...

Having to manually research what things look like thanks to photobucket is a pain, but I wont let it hinder my progress. Plenty of work arounds ;)

Edited by mrnoris
  • 2 weeks later...

Little update:

Before

yu7cNFch.jpg

lOaC1JLh.jpg

8f7weH3h.jpg

After

x3HndkSh.jpg

sidemoulding delete (forgot it on original list)

On a related note, I have a full set of side mouldings and solida badges in reasonable nick, free to collect from North London area in the unlikely event anyone is interested. Will keep them for a couple weeks in case someone is going for the stock look otherwise I cant store them and they will be binned.

Really needs clear side repeaters now. But will happen after I get back from hols. Also really needs OSF wing. Anyone know a good scrap yard/breakers in norf london/herts area? Or anyone got one in 1A0? would like to avoid farting about with paint if I can.

Booked an MOT last night "half price" £29.90 (usually I wouldn't go for a cheap MOT but I would do any repairs myself and I know the garage).

Only passed! advisory on hazed rear plate and rear tread. So far its been a very cheap, reliable little motor!

I feel like she's earned an early service. Also going to clean/check calipers while i'm at it...

I will look into it for ya mate. Sorry I didn't see your wanted post. Main issue is going to be packaging.
Most poster tubes aren't wide enough so I am looking at the cardboard pallet corner protectors. Just want to make sure they dont get folded by someone!
Now I know you are after them I will keep hold of them until I have worked out the best way. I'll PM you once I have a rough idea on package dimensions and grab some quotes.

NI yeah?

15 hours ago, mrnoris said:

I will look into it for ya mate. Sorry I didn't see your wanted post. Main issue is going to be packaging.
Most poster tubes aren't wide enough so I am looking at the cardboard pallet corner protectors. Just want to make sure they dont get folded by someone!
Now I know you are after them I will keep hold of them until I have worked out the best way. I'll PM you once I have a rough idea on package dimensions and grab some quotes.

NI yeah?

if you could it would be great. ill pay for package etc and post of course and yes NI my sr is missing them. thanks

On 11/10/2017, 20:27:21, mrnoris said:

Little update:

Before

yu7cNFch.jpg

lOaC1JLh.jpg

8f7weH3h.jpg

After

x3HndkSh.jpg

sidemoulding delete (forgot it on original list)

On a related note, I have a full set of side mouldings and solida badges in reasonable nick, free to collect from North London area in the unlikely event anyone is interested. Will keep them for a couple weeks in case someone is going for the stock look otherwise I cant store them and they will be binned.

Really needs clear side repeaters now. But will happen after I get back from hols. Also really needs OSF wing. Anyone know a good scrap yard/breakers in norf london/herts area? Or anyone got one in 1A0? would like to avoid farting about with paint if I can.

Booked an MOT last night "half price" £29.90 (usually I wouldn't go for a cheap MOT but I would do any repairs myself and I know the garage).

Only passed! advisory on hazed rear plate and rear tread. So far its been a very cheap, reliable little motor!

I feel like she's earned an early service. Also going to clean/check calipers while i'm at it...

How did you get rid of the glue? 

42 minutes ago, Mxdsnny said:

How did you get rid of the glue? 

De-Solv-it sticky stuff remover. I'm sure there is a proper chemical that the trade use, but I read it works and its like 5-6 quid a can from halfrauds.

Spray it on, leave about 10 mins and use a plastic filler spreader to scrape. Metal will damage the paint. Repeat until its all gone and then rinse it off well.

On 16/10/2017, 12:43:33, mrnoris said:

De-Solv-it sticky stuff remover. I'm sure there is a proper chemical that the trade use, but I read it works and its like 5-6 quid a can from halfrauds.

Spray it on, leave about 10 mins and use a plastic filler spreader to scrape. Metal will damage the paint. Repeat until its all gone and then rinse it off well.

Thanks. More questions, what do you use to post photos? I used to use photo bucket but that’s doesn’t work anymore?