Okay so my Glanza went in for a smoke test today, as it was making a leaky tapping sound, and it turns out there's a crack on the fourth cylinder head and they have advised a top end rebuild and to definitely replace the exhaust manifold as it has seen better days (they don't do the work, it is just a diagnostics place, so I trust that they aren't trying to get money out of me). I'm just wondering how I go about it really, I know I will need a replacement cylinder head, head gasket set, new exhaust manifold, stem seals, cambelt. Am I missing anything? Or is there anything you would recommend getting done while this is being done? Might as well do the whole thing properly despite the cost!

i'd say if you know someone that is reputable, then just try to get a second hand head in good shape (probably replace valve stem seals--OEM and re-seat valves for piece of mind) and put it on

another option is to take off the head and get the area welded back properly IF its the stud area---i've seen this done in the past...and use back your existing head

they are known to crack around the top stud on the 4th cylinder holding the exhaust manifold...especially if torqued incorrectly

PS if you do any kind of head rebuild...please use OEM parts (valve stem seals, head gasket, exhaust gasket, etc) they will cost a bit more than generic stuff, but should last longer

Edited by gorganl2000