*raises hand* most of my build is documented on my instagram @c.n.a.b. 

I was curious and wanted to try getting the most performance out of all oem internals, so i decided to build from scratch, 1999 5efe jdm coilpack motor (coils at the side of head vs ontop as per usdm obd2) came with 5efhe pistons on the 'skinny rods' and a fairly thick headgasket to keep the compression at the 5efe 9.4:1. noted for research purposes as there are may variations to the jdm 5efe with respects to pistons and rods used, different headgaskets are used from oe to retain the low 9.4:1 compression below the regular 5efhe.

moving on, I slapped some 4e-f pistons on the rods, installed a usdm 5efe obd2 metal 0.6mm headgasket and put my 5efhe cams in. Originally had bike carbs but they were too expensive to repair/maintain, ordered 04 yamaha(keeping it in the family) 38mm itbs because i was experimenting with pre-butterfly throttle slides for tuning/response characteristics,(after tuning i realise that they boost low load mpgs and silence the signature itb snarl to an oem like whisper) 4age 20v silvertop header modified to fit, the 5e head, blacktop y-pipe installed, exhaust piping is 2.25inch with a 2 inch straight through oval resonator where the cat should be, and a 2.25inch resonator after the rear axle.

currently running microsquirt v3 because i love the tunerstudio software, street tuned the car myself, Alpha-n, 91 octane, very conservative ignition timing map which i built using homemade DET cans, switched the valve timing to the 4e marks to smooth the powerband and raise the peak. When i was finally satisfied, I did some dyno runs and it made 133.9wheel horsepower at 6700rpm(power was still climbing but my soft cut rev-limiter settings started to progressively retard the ignition timing) and 118.7lb ft of torque at 4871rpm.

if i had it tuned on the dyno I could have definitely extracted more power by adding more ignition timing in a controlled environment as i was scared to for my road tune. Soft cut rev limiter settings adjusted now to retard timing at 7000rpm with the hard cut set at 7200.

Average cylinder pressure is 255psi.

Thanks that is a very detailed and helpful response.i will find you on istagram. How comes you used 4e pistons instaed of 5efhe high comp pistons. I take it the silver top head flows better than the 5e. Was it a big pain to modify to fit thanks for your help 

having disassembled multiple e series engines, i was curious how high i could push the compression ratio since the 4e piston dome is twice as tall as the 5efhe dome. for example, the 5efhe pistons in a 4efe would lower the compression ratio because of the shorter stroke of the 4e + the lower dome height. 

how the heads flow wasnt my concern with the exhaust setup, to be honest I just wanted to keep it in the toyota family, and designing an extractor from scratch wasnt within the budget. someone just happened to have a slvertop header for sale so i bought it, had a flange made, and modified the pipes(the pipes for cylinder1 and 4 have to be brought inwards to match the head, which involves some heating and bending for cylinder 4, and about an inch removed from cylinder 1's piping. I especially did it to keep the oem style heat sheild from the 4age 20v. 

I love the reactions I get when people see my engine bay. my exhaust setup could definately be better. but until I can come up with a high rise style design incorporating stepped sections for the diameters and lengths i'm after, I wont bother....its pointless considering it has already surpassed my expectations, and is my daily driver. 

after struggling for a bit, and remembering most forums do not like outside links. and imageshack deleting my account...how do I upload pics in 2017 besides instagram? *facepalm*

i tried to upload a 130kb .jpg file into the post and got an error 'max filesize 500kb'

*confused* clearly i forgot how to internet.

edit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ts88qtb059sd8x/baypicture.png?dl=0 

baypicture_preview.png.cb9e8d8faef7757dd

• 2 weeks later...

they are ITBs the injectors are mounted underneath and facing directly at the ports on the head lol. It had itbs on it before.

the early model yamaha itbs looked similar to carburettors because they repurposed the vacuum slides for economy and noise supression.

previous carburettor setup (yamaha fj1100 1984) -

https://www.instagram.com/p/rswbBvN9Bu/

side view of efi itbs (yamaha r6 2004) - 

dyno run - 133.9hp to the wheels, 118.7 lb ft. -

BYuGGHclJ5j

Edited by Sudden
trying to figure out how to get the image links to work

i always liked the idea of the n/a 5e, very glad yours turned out well, really shows that we have a lot of local talent for a small island...i once built one (2006/2007 iirc) but disassembled it before i installed it and rebuilt it to accommodate turbo..i figured if done properly it could make 150whp with race gas, but it just started to get too expensive for my liking and the power it would make ---but the ITB idea and rev sound was tempting at the time...lol

was that power figure achieved on our pump gas? or race gas? or pump plus additives/meth?

pump gas, i went efi because the rebuild parts for the carburettors i had were 320+usd and the itb setup with harness, injectors map sensor, throttle position sensor, air temp sensor, fuel rail with pressure regulator all cost 19usd lol

• 2 weeks later...

yeah sorry mate I missed this thread.

THat's the power of a GT now then.

But the problem I have, is the cost. For that same money I bet you could have had a 300bhp starlet.

Now don't get me wrong, you have a purpose for it. But for anyone looking to have a road going car, or track car without limitations, I don't see the sense.

It is for sprint racing where you are racing in classes so when you are limited to 1.6NA in my class every little helps and just sticking a turbo on it is not an option. But no if I wanted just to make it faster for the road a 4efte would be the way to go of 5efte 

17 hours ago, Calum122 said:

yeah sorry mate I missed this thread.

THat's the power of a GT now then.

But the problem I have, is the cost. For that same money I bet you could have had a 300bhp starlet.

Now don't get me wrong, you have a purpose for it. But for anyone looking to have a road going car, or track car without limitations, I don't see the sense.

17 hours ago, Calum122 said:

this will probably track better than a 300hp turbo starlet!

1 hour ago, Ollieh17 said:

this will probably track better than a 300hp turbo starlet!

Yeah you're probably right as 300 bhp is going to be pretty peaky and not necessarily what you want. But the point I was trying to make was that the car could be tailored so much better with a turbo with the money you spend on an N/A.

But I get that it's for a particular class they're racing in and I applaud the engineering.