EP91 - Juddering in 1st gear

Hi!

Did an engine replacement last Friday on my standard '98 EP91, the original 4EFE had 235K miles on it and was horsing oil and clouds of smoke out of the exhaust made all the worst by the recent addition of Lucas oil stabiliser! That crap made the smoke ten times worse!! 

Anyway, a replacement engine was sought and I got one with 95K on the clock, nice dry engine!  Replaced it easily enough, but the engine was running quite fast on start up, so we put on the TB from the original engine which had her ticking over nicely then.

So, I brought her on a 50 mile round trip, not a bother until nearing the end of the journey; when taking off in first gear the car judders like f&^k!! like she's seriously struggling.  Taking off in 2nd on the flat or a slight incline is grand, she doesn't judder then, nor is the car losing power or struggling when going up hill in 4th or 5th so I'm ruling out the clutch.

Any ideas on what it could be?? :sad: