Is this Fuel Cut?

Hi guys

I've started to get an issue recently and im not sure if it's fuel cut related. I'm puttin my foot down, the car starts to accelerate, all 3 boost lights come on( 8) ), but then the car seems to judder for a second and I lose all acceleration until I pull my foot off the pedal and put it back down again (although my instinct is to do this straight away so i can't really say if it would stay off or kick back in).

It doesn't seem to happen when I accelerate more gently even to full boost. It's most notable in 2nd gear I guess beause of the revs/boost building up faster but I've had it happen in 5th. 

I've had the car with no previous UK owners so don't have any record of the boost being turned up and wouldnt really have a clue how to check but i've always thought it was standard. It's only started happening recently as well. If it was fuel cut would it have happened from day 1 with the boost turned up from the previous owner?

any help appreciated in finding out what this is :)

Sounds like fuel cut, your probably only seeing it now with the cold temperatures, cold air is denser so you will make slightly more boost than a hot day etc, possibly just enough for you to hit fuel cut.

you def need a boost gauge in these cars! Keep and eye on things

Could also be HT leads mine was doing same thing so i reduced the boost and it went away for a while then came back. Ended up being the HT leads breaking down but it felt just like boost cut. 

Appreciate these other responses guys. The engine management light doesn't come on when it happens and I've not ruled out it could be HT leads or plugs so im hoping to replace these asap too.

I've read that way of describing fuel cut before and i wouldnt say this is the same.. first time it happened I actually thought I'd hit a pot hole and it'd popped out of gear somehow.

Im looking more into it as i type but I've noticed today it happens at 4k revs specifically and last time i got a big pop from the exhaust too.

I'm not gonna be driving it daily till this is sorted now as im scared I'll hurt my baby!

Edited by Jwood91
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey again guys.

Its back on the road so thought Id give this an update for anyones future reference

It turned out to be a fried king ignition cable. It had actually melted the wire next to the distributor and was sparking. Replaced it and its sweet now. will upload a pic or two when i can. Thanks again guys!

Edited by Jwood91
  • 1 month later...