New Daily - What do ya think?

Aup dudes,

So with winter in full swing and some work/new parts to go on to the Starlet, I figured I'd take it off road and buy a new daily to get me around for a bit. I was looking for something cheap and economical really. I almost settled for a Yaris or Micra, but needless to say, I kept searching, hoping for something cooler whilst still being economical..  And then this thing popped up .

A 1986 Honda Civic 1.3.

Bought with busted water pump. Limped this thing home on a 100 mile trip and it got me home no problems and only a quarter tank of fuel used! Never experienced this sort of fuel economy before. Just stopped several times to top water back up.

New water pump cost £20 delivered. Timing Belt £7 delivered. HT Leads £8 delivered. Dizzy Cap and Rotor Arm £5 delivered. Spark Plugs £5 delivered. Parts are damn cheap but probably been on clearance for ages due to a lack of these around. Car Count UK reckon theres 0 left on road, which is obviously a mistake. This one is taxed and MOT'd and not their system by the looks of it.

Feels great to drive, very tight, firm and nimble driving. A bit of a handful with no power steering but I love that. And surprisingly good over speed bumps, just floats over them!

So with it being a daily, I don't really have any plans for it instantly. However once Glanza is sorted, I might take this off road and slap a VTEC or twin cam engine in and do a Motul race car rep...missis will also be needing a new car when she finally gets her licence so this is also on the cards for that. I'll be taking it back once she gets bored of it!

I know it's a bit sacrilege but I thought I'd share it with you guys. Some of you may hate it and some of you may appreciate it. Thought I'd show you anyway, let me know what you think.

Mods, please move if in wrong place. Didn't really want to put it on Other Motors Progress Blog as I'm not really doing anything to it right now and I've not even done one for my Glanza YET.

IMG_20171117_224353.jpg

IMG_20171117_223944.jpg

IMG_20171117_223900.jpg

IMG_20171117_224339.jpg

510b238a8a40.jpg

a61795802345.jpg

ca965f9d541c.jpg

eb75ca3cd3f886c656f914b54a4e216d.jpg

4544508326_39fc134c9a.jpg

Edited by Shyam
8 hours ago, Idrees said:

Nice choice, just a shame it's a Honda. 

haha is the shame in it being a Honda due to the car or the people who drive them? :p

1 hour ago, morgey said:

Cool car thats for sure, just hope the carb doesnt cause issues in the cold :p

Agreed mate. I've not experienced any yet. It's got a great big choke which has two settings. Seems to let it fire right up!

Edited by Shyam
38 minutes ago, maddox710 said:

Looks really good mate, just get down the scrappy and get a cheap drive series for a couple of hundred, and swap it so. You have efi them will be more reliable etc 

Thanks William mate, I was pretty set on this! I was looking at it and the wiring for electrical fuel injection is massive headache and I don't know if I can be arsed with it.. I also thought about twin cam or single over head cam vtec engine (D16) with independent throttle bodies. Question I need to ask myself is how much power do I really need in a sub 750kg car. I need it to be balanced and I'm planning to set this one up for track and road. Anyways mate, I might need your hand next summer with it if your up for it buddy!

30 minutes ago, Ollieh17 said:

this is cool! b swap it! Got a very similar rear end to the charade, must be a 80's thing

haha B series will be mental mate. Funny thing is there's probably enough room for it in the bay. I just gotta see what engines come up for sale for the right price when the time comes. For the time being I'm just gonna enjoy that 50 miles per gallon lifestyle. This Civic also has front torsion bar suspension set up. People consider it to be out dated but I think it works really well..feels proper rigid.

Honda only used a 1600cc ZC1 in that Civic Motul race car and they somehow squeezed 215bhp out of it. In 1987 Japan Touring Car Championship, not only did it win all 6 races in its own division 1, but it overtook all the cars in division 2 and occasionally some cars in division 3 which cars that had much bigger engines! In-fact, in 2 of the races, it overtook BMW 635csi twice to come 2nd overall in all 3 divisions! Probably the reason why BMW had to build M635csi to redeem themselves a little haha. I think I'll be heading in a similar direction to build something as close as possible to the Motul Civic race car.

3 hours ago, Shyam said:

Thanks William mate, I was pretty set on this! I was looking at it and the wiring for electrical fuel injection is massive headache and I don't know if I can be arsed with it.. I also thought about twin cam or single over head cam vtec engine (D16) with independent throttle bodies. Question I need to ask myself is how much power do I really need in a sub 750kg car. I need it to be balanced and I'm planning to set this one up for track and road. Anyways mate, I might need your hand next summer with it if your up for it buddy!

haha B series will be mental mate. Funny thing is there's probably enough room for it in the bay. I just gotta see what engines come up for sale for the right price when the time comes. For the time being I'm just gonna enjoy that 50 miles per gallon lifestyle. This Civic also has front torsion bar suspension set up. People consider it to be out dated but I think it works really well..feels proper rigid.

Yeah buddy I'm down for that now I've fixed my impact gun and converted it to lithium I'm raring to work in cars haha

3 minutes ago, maddox710 said:

Yeah buddy I'm down for that now I've fixed my impact gun and converted it to lithium I'm raring to work in cars haha

awesomee haha lets get your starlet sorted then, you found any coileys for it yet?

10 hours ago, Idrees said:

Just pulling your leg mate, I actually really like it!

haha I know bud, thanks for the thumbs up still

9 hours ago, ChristopherEP70 said:

*cough* b18 *cough*

Seriously cool little. Can't remember the last time I seen one 

Thanks pal..Funnily enough, the b18 is about 5-10kg heavier than the b16 and the b20 and then you got the k20 which weighs about the same as a B engine, so if you were going b series, you may aswel just go k20 (it fits too). And then you have the ZC engine which is about 45-50 kg less than all of them! Whichever route I go down, I think I'm going to be supercharging...

3258825276_1_3_Go9CfQQ5.jpg

Edited by Shyam
17 minutes ago, Ollieh17 said:

I would think a b18 swap would be alot easier than a k20. From looking before the main issue with the k20 is the height of the engine, and getting  enough sump distance without poking out the bonnet

Didn't think of that mate, I think your right. Wouldn't want it's arse poking out the bottom clipping every f**'in speed bump! 

15 hours ago, Bluebear said:

I dearly want one of these with a ZC lump, just from this video alone. I love the design of that rear hatch as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJiY8adHCFQ

Thanks for the kind words Bluebear, it's not really one for looks at the minute, Got a set off Aleycats collecting dust in the shed that need to go on and will probably drop it like 30-50mm, then it will start to look more presentable. Yes buddy, I'm favoring tthe ZC conversion atm and maybe supercharge?? Have thought about B series but engine but the extra 50kg may be too heavy and hinder handling dynamics. The actual design and ergonomics of the car are brilliant. Rear seats recline like a Maybach and it also has pop out windows. Parcel shelf has a locking in mechanism with two flaps on either side to make entry from trunk and inside of car really easy. Lots of leg space (one of the most comfortable 2 door hatchbacks, old and new, to drive being 6'1) and so much more, Honda really gave it some thought.

So replaced the water pump, timing belt and all the other shit in literally about an hour and half, really easy to work on! From Friday last week, my Glanza officially went off road and I've switched over to the Civic. From 2 days of driving (and being able to push it more), I got to say, it's an awesome little car! It fires right up first time every time with the choke. Handles great and some how manages to drift very well! You guys will think I'm bullshitting but I'm truthfully not, this thing actually drifts lol. So the 1.3 engine is quiet under powered but it goes pretty well when you give it some and gives exceptional gas mileage. Damn water temp isn't getting up to good temperature so Thermostat will be replaced when it arrives this week. Overall, I'm very pleased! To compare handling to my starlet would be a bit unfair as I've thrown shit load of handling mods at it, but I do remember when it was 100% stock and I gotta say that the Civic handles much much better than a stock starlet. I'm sorry guys, I went there. lol

18 hours ago, Chops said:

bang a 4efte in it lol, none of that honda shit :L. seriously tho, motul livery or straight up kanjo racer wonder civic style lol, its gotta be done.

haha got a 4efte in one car, do I really need another one Chops lad!? If you want to draft up the mounts, and put the engine in, I'll consider it ;) haha

I'm thinking supercharged ZC.....

Definitely going to be doing a Motul race car rep when it's set up! 

Edited by Shyam