Burning oil?

My V is currently smoking brown coloured smoke. I only notice it when sitting in traffic/idle but the clouds now are getting fairly thick.  I have a TD04 rebuild kit to rebuild my turbo with going to pull the turbo off next week.   If that does not resolve the issue what could be causing this?

Topped the oil up 3 days ago to full and its burned about 1/10th of the tank ish already. 

Just for the record over the last 3k miles the valve stem seals have been replaced, valves reseated, carbon removed and head skimmed with new head gasket. Crank seal at Cam belt side got done with the cam belt and oil/water pump about 4k ago also. 

If you want any further specs ect.. ask me or check my build thread out its a good read :) 

Cheers josh! 

1 hour ago, Calum122 said:

The other thing it can be is ring gap clearance. This is going to cause Piston Blow By which can lead to excessive oil burn.

That said, engine oil is blue not brown.

hmm strange thanks for commenting :) 

5 minutes ago, Ollieh17 said:

brown smoke!is it decatted? new turbo kit or anything?

Yeah its decatted, the smoke has only started over the last few weeks and getting gradually worse. but yeah its a brown colour not black. 

49 minutes ago, daniel_g said:

This kinda cold weather can make exhaust fumes look a lot worse than they are, especially with having no cat.

Just keep an eye on oil and coolant levels.

will do mate cheers, i might just be paranoid as this is the first proper cold few weeks i have been driving it. might just be normal but im losing a tad bit of oil so gonna pull the turbo and rebuild it my self anyway.