want to fit a td04 to my starlet before the new year, id like to keep standard ecu for now until i finish college in april, have the turbo set up, whats best way to set it up to stay safe? was gonna run it at just 0.6or even0.8 bar if i could get away with it, would i need a wideband to set it up correctly and would i need piggy back or anything else at that pressure or would standard set up be enough to ensure it doesnt run lean , any info will be taken on board

26 minutes ago, triple j said:

Maybe .5 would be as far as i would like to go lad, its hard to no u will have a higher compression with the 5e pistons, I think an adjustable fpr and a check with a wideband .5/.6 could be safe.

Yeah it’s hard to tell what way to go like in an ideal world I’d get the standalone and get it done right but college has me stuck for cash at the min I have the turbo setup sitting there so would like to fit it while it’s off the road then tune it coming into the summer

The factory ecu does run quite rich from standard so you should be ok on the fueling side, at worst fit a 1:1 fuel pressure reg and slightly bump the base fuel pressure to help.  From all the setups ive seen with stock ecu and bigger turbo, they all seem to be lean as the boost comes on but quickly richen up.  Its not ideal but there's not alot you can do with the stock ecu.

Key thing though is monitoring the state of tune (i'd highlight this if I could).  A wideband check is absolutely mandatory and definitely use a detset to check for knock. I would probably start at say 6 degrees base and check then slowly advance as long as there isnt any knock. Good fuel ie 98 would definitely help.  Ive had plenty of setups through with dead stock unopened 5efe and 5efhe engines but with aftermarket ecus and after a good tune have happily sat on 14psi for years.  Even a forged engine with a crap tune will end in engine failure.  The fastest EP in New Zealand ran an 11.75 quarter mile on a standard 5e with stock 4e pistons but had some head work and a very good ecu and tune.

Good luck and feel free to ask if you need more info.

No bother lad, the td04 actuator pressure is .5/.6, a fpr should richen up that lean spot that stu is talking about  I have seen it myself with the stock ecu, when mapping the emanage it was the spooling area that needed the most fuel added, a cheap apexi safc could be handy for u to clean the fueling up with the fpr, it could work well with your base timing knocked back a few degrees trimming the fuel back with the safc will add some timing back, would like to see what stu thinks of that combo I used it myself a few years ago so had plenty others.

vf35 forged 5e, rrfpr at 4.2bar 330 injectors, safc2  . i make 242bhp and 214ibft at 12psi ive done 4 trackdays with this setup but im booked for jan to have my standalone mapped :p 

steady high 11s afr

i have roughly 10-13% trim across the rev range on the safc with a base timing of 7deg - crude but works.

also don't use an fcd and for the sake of £130 id buy a wideband!

Edited by goldenvtr

Id love to see the before and after graphs of that setup dude! Even at the same boost pressure it would be some difference!

What can the 34 run, 1.4+ kinda area?

17 hours ago, goldenvtr said:

vf35 forged 5e, rrfpr at 4.2bar 330 injectors, safc2  . i make 242bhp and 214ibft at 12psi ive done 4 trackdays with this setup but im booked for jan to have my standalone mapped :p 

steady high 11s afr

i have roughly 10-13% trim across the rev range on the safc with a base timing of 7deg - crude but works.

also don't use an fcd and for the sake of £130 id buy a wideband!

10 hours ago, daniel_g said:

Id love to see the before and after graphs of that setup dude! Even at the same boost pressure it would be some difference!

What can the 34 run, 1.4+ kinda area?

the vf35s suposibly take 1.6bar ( its journal bearing) no idea what it will peakat power wise but ill find out in jan :D

i plan to run it at 1.4/1.5 as i need it to be reliable on track,just depends how the inlet temps are

heres the before /currenty setups graph, when the stand alone goes on should be able to iron out the torque curve as it dips in the midrange, loads of improvment to be made over the current setup. butstill feels amazing on the road

https://imgur.com/1ntEp3O

Edited by goldenvtr