Alternator Charge Circuit

Hi,

In the planning stages of a complete re-wire of my car, and one thing I'm a little unsure of is the charge circuit.

I need to double check my connector, but according to diagrams online, the multi-plug should have 3 connections, we then have a ring terminal to the battery.

Now, I'm aware that I need a to connect 1 of the connections from the multiplug, and the ring terminal to the battery via a fuse. But that leaves two connections, one appears to be an exciter which sends 12v to the alternator when the ignition is switched on, the other a ground for the dash-light, I think.

Does the dash-light circuit need to be complete, and if so, is there a certain amount of current draw needed for this to work? I know that some require a 3 watt bulb, for example.

Hopefully I can find some time on Saturday to disect that part of the loom, but in the mean-time if any of you have a firm answer, that would be great.

Thanks