Hillclimb / Sprint Glanza build

Thought I would start a progress thread on my latest project which I've been at a year already

Which has snowballed a lot from the beginning.  Basically trying to build a competitive hillclimb sprint car to compete in the road car class Up to 2 litre (which the starlet ends up in with the turbo multiplier factor).

My objective is to build as light and as little lag as possible car no crazy overall hp goals. So as close to 800kg and around 220-230bhp is what I need to beat the main competitors with clio 182's

Spec so far is

Fully refreshed standard engine

Ct9/ct12 hybrid with billet compressor

Wepr stainless top mount manifold

With tial external wastegate

Custom lightweight alternator/water pump delete (electric waterpump)

Custom frontmount intercooler

Civic rad

Quaife lsd box

Lightened flywheel / paddle clutch

Custom brakes front and rear 

Team dynamic 15" front wheel 13" rear (for weight)

Shell painted in Nissan skyline kh2 grey

Safetydevices rear cage

Motodrive bucketseats

20171206_154852-1651x1238.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, maerijn said:

Awesome spec list so far! Do you have more pictures?

cheers 

i do but struggling to upload them for some reason

Edited by Mike84
Img inserted wrong
6 hours ago, 5e colin said:

Did you use ct12 or ct12b to hybrid 

I'm sure it was a ct12b I then got Midland turbos to refresh it weld up internal wastegate and fit billet compressor wheel

Edited by Mike84

This is the 3rd reincarnation of this build , to cut along story short . I stared building an ep82 into a hillclimb car then decided they were getting rare and harder to source parts (as I like a barrier or 2). So bought a black ep91 which came with a quaife lsd box , paddle clutch and lightened flywheel along with bc coilovers. I stripped the shell bare to prep it as I'm fussy which is when this latest shell came up all fully painted at a price I couldn't resist ! Needless to say I have a few spares !!!!

Engine currently looks like this waiting for its new home

IMG_20171125_204727_986.jpg

Then this is some pics of the first car I started prepping 

IMG_20171126_230422_438.jpg

Then how the current shell looks waiting for it's rear cage to be fitted , which is partly mocked up

20171215_182052.jpg

IMG_20171227_082406_369.jpg

The last 4/5 nights have been busy thinning out the original wiring loom to the bare essentials.  Which has meant removal of all abs , airbag , electric mirrors , radio , reverse lights , rear wiper wiring ect. The multiplugs have all been unpinned as I couldn't live with pins being unused lol. This is all in aid of trying to keep the car as light as possible within our rules.  My Target of 800kg should be doable ! I hope

20171229_223443.jpg

20171229_223550.jpg

20171229_223628.jpg

1 minute ago, Calum122 said:

I think 800 is very achievable. Although the GT's are lighter, with the Air Con Removed, half rad, any extra seats any unnecessary interior, you'd pretty much be there.

Cheers I hope so

Unfortunately I have to keep all seats door cards and glass . The only thing inside I can lose is carpet . I have also added 30kg with the cage which doesn't help. But thankfully most of the competitors cars are over 900kg

Well while I finish the wiring I have stripped the interior , dash , heater ect out of new shell . To keep as I remove all sound deadining and weld in cage mounts. I will be swapping in my complete reduced wiring loom once this has been done and painted. Not much pics of recent progress so here is some of custom brakes I am using. All machine work is done by a friend and will be using kad mini rear calipers with pitbike rear discs. Front are original discs machined for weight and will have custom mounts for wilwood caliper. Should save 6kg from original front brake setup and closer to 10kg from rear setup

Rear hub which uses starlet bearings and fits original rear axle

20171101_130905.jpg

Classic mini rear kad calipers with handbrake

received_992275784245206.jpg

23 hours ago, Broony said:

Nice Mike!! Can you supply these>? would love a set on my WMS kit.

I cover aberdeneshire with work, would love to have a look at how its coming on.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers 

I probably could , but not sure what price and wouldn't machine out holes between wheel studs until I have trailed them for a while .

10 hours ago, akyakapotter said:

Looking good would love to see pics of the rear set up fitted as we all no starlet rear disc brakes suck big time.

Cheers nick :thumbsup:

Cheers

I will upload more pics once I have progressed with them further. Could be a bit of trial and error unfortunately not a very cheap alternative but mega light :)

Finally got my safety devices rear cage fitted :crazy:

Wasn't the best fitting cage I've had which was disappointing to say the least. However I got there in the end , now time to strip rest of soundeadining and get floor painted 

20180105_181751.jpg

20180105_181821.jpg

20180105_181825.jpg

7 hours ago, 5e colin said:

Those disks look weak on the face ( 4x100) hope they won't snap under emergency braking

Cool parts tho I like

1 hour ago, Gainzy said:

That's where the hills come in haha

I understand what your saying time will tell , my theorie is the clamping force of sandwiching the disc between the hub and wheel face will add to the strength , well here is hoping :D

Lol the problem there is usually barriers between them hills :sad: