• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jayc-glanza17 said:

Fixed rear set up with handrake? 

received_10214967639768327.jpg

Custom hubs using starlet oe wheel bearings , calipers have built in handbrake mech as car needs to be road legal

Should save about 10kg overall

Edited by Mike84
Extra
3 hours ago, jayc-glanza17 said:

Now im interested.lol.. how much for the kit? 

21 hours ago, jayc-glanza17 said:

I'm not sure about selling them as kits need to do testing first I'm affraid

18 hours ago, Calum122 said:

Like this is really impressive, but no way are these going to be reliable? Surely not. I'm not that kind of engineer but this looks a tad on the dodgey side to be road legal lol.

Loving the engineering though, please keep us posted!

I agree with you here..nobody has done anything different because the gains are very minimal I can see the spacing cuts are going to stop alot of heat excess, I don't know how the pads are going to cope looking forwards to you testing them!

5 hours ago, Gainzy said:

I agree with you here..nobody has done anything different because the gains are very minimal I can see the spacing cuts are going to stop alot of heat excess, I don't know how the pads are going to cope looking forwards to you testing them!

I agree with both of you , this will involve a bit of trial and error mainly the discs . The main reason for developing rear brakes were for the weight saving over standard. We have adapted a set of these brakes on my Auldmans race clio 172 which have been used the last 3 years with no issues. However he does use different discs to these. I think using them as a daily road car wouldn't be ideal , but for my needs and minimal mileage should work . I hope :)

Instead of sorting out the suspension before my first race I've been adding stickers:D

As the Scottish hillclimb / sprint class I'm entering is known as the clio class as there's so many of them lol.

I decided to add this sticker for banter

20180717_152353.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well that didn't go according to plan with just 2 weeks till my first race :unknw:

While adjusting front suspension noticed something dripping. Which turned out to be gear oil from gearbox casing. Turns out the rear gearbox mount parted way with gearbox in turn cracking casing !! 

20180726_184312.jpg

So currently car has gearbox stripped ready to transfer into spare casings . 

IMG_20180727_202835_449.jpg

IMG_20180727_202835_458.jpg

Sent spare gearbox casings away and had them blasted in prep for rebuild. I will also be adding extra bracing to stop this happening again

20180730_184057.jpg

20180730_185056.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 1:22 PM, Nanglebadger said:

Cant say I've seen them break there before, sorry to see that bud but hopefully your extra bracing etc gets you sorted permanently!

Phil.

Cheers hope so

Thought it about time I updated considering I've competed in my first race with it:thumbsup:

After rebuilding the gearbox I decided the rear mounting needed modding to stop any chance of this happening again.

So got my mate to water jet out a plate to pick up on bellhousing bolts that are unused 

20180803_125708.jpg

20180803_164455.jpg

Also converted the rear casing to studs 

20180803_130016.jpg

After getting it back together sent car for some stickers to go with my Auldmans race car . Not to everyone's taste but it's different 

20180809_210148.jpg

20180810_182546.jpg

After this I was all set for it's first outing at Alford Sprint which is a small figure of 8 sprint local to myself . Maybe not the most challenging but the more seat time the better.

There was a good entry in our class consisting of 11 mainly all clios . The morning started well being dry I used it to get a feel for the car and there wasn't any heroics . Car felt well but was clearly obvious the suspension was too soft causing wheel spin even with quaife diff. Due to the inside wheel lifting around the hairpins at each end. The brakes etc felt great and initial turn in was promising. As the day went on I gradually pushed more feeling more comfortable.  Ending up 5th of the 11 entered which I was happy with for it's first outing .

Coming away with a few issues to attend before the next event

IMG_20180818_182625_962.jpg

Lifting a wheel through the central crossover :)

After getting it home again I realised I had a big boost leak with engine movement causing my only wiggens clamp to leak. Using a smoke machine when i flexed intercooler showed up the leak .Should of done away with it the same time as the others , but atleast i should have no excuses for next race.

Screenshot_20180901-203348.jpg

The one time I'm happy to find a leak :D

I then set about replacing my spring rates from the original 6kg front and 4kg rear . There much harder all round now that's for sure 

20180820_180616.jpg

Decided to send my me221 ecu back to get a small issue with clutch switch sorted as I'm wanting to use it for full throttle gear changes .

Then to top things off as I was checking over diff I found there was too much lift (not enough preload) after swaping casings . So decided to strip box down again and reshim properly. Which involved a lot of trial builds to work out the shim required from Toyota. But now reassembled with the correct shim . I found this very useful for the shim sizes .

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/community/index.php?threads/an-insight-into-differential-shims-and-carrie

The biggest problem with mine was the casings I used had previously had an aftermarket lsd fitted and they had made there own diy shim for the bellhousing side. After some research I discovered Toyota sell only 2 shim choices for this side. 1.90mm or 2.10mm . The diy one that was in mine was only 1.35mm hence all the movement.

Being cautious I decided to reshim the transmission side which is the one you should reshim with the above sizes ranging from 2.00mm to 3.00mm after ordering the correct size J shim it is now rebuilt and a lesson not to presume the original shims would be ok!!

I used shimming metal with old shim to work out the correct one to order which involved a lot of building then stripping etc

20180829_132827.jpg

20180831_130443.jpg

20180831_130438.jpg

So currently car has half fitted suspension , no gearbox or ecu fitted and a race next weekend :crazy:

• 4 weeks later...

Well alots happened after my last post I did get gearbox all together again along with suspension & ecu . I even managed to fit a new hybrid turbo as Well which I had rebuilt by Midland turbos . It turned out to be a TD12 hybrid happy days . On refitting of gearbox i found a terrible noise from gearbox area which stopped when clutch depressed. Aaaaargh wasnt happy after spending 2 weeks doing box and turbo , so thought bugger it sent it to rolling road to get map tweak for new turbo and if it survived i would take it to race . The rolling road went well making 224bhp now at the same boost of last hybrid which only made 206bhp. This was the day before race i decided to give it a road test and wasnt happy with noise . So wangled a double entry of my Auldmans clio.

After race weekend I removed box and found the problem the clutch plate had worn the splines on input shaft . I was annoyed I hadn't noticed previously :fool:

20180912_180835.jpg

20180912_180825.jpg

20180912_180719.jpg

Anyway swapped out another gearset 

Some pics of updated turbo TD12

20180913_181627.jpg

20180905_170843.jpg

Which is basically a td04 with ct9 housing and fully spooled by 3500rpm but pulls all the way to 7000rpm

On 9/27/2018 at 6:29 PM, jellybaby said:

Looking good may I ask where u got the heat shielding for your water pipes from as need to do something to mine 

Cheers 8)

I bought a sleeve 1meter long from ebay , they came from China in under a week