Upgrading TD04l turbo - quick question

I've been looking at upgrading my td04l turbo to get more power but I've looked through loads of threads and haven't been able to find a definitive answer on what parts are best to use. Looking at ebay and this Kinugawa 19t bolt on upgrade looks good and it says that it spools just as fast as a normal TD04l so was hoping someone could confirm this?

Currently running stock td04l at 1.5bar off boost and making 260BHP, looking at reaching 300 with remap.

What ecu are you running? I'd choose the tuning developments hybrid turbo over anything else on a forged set up external wastgate, stock cams..also if you search for sefton's build on here he has his parts spot on imo

Hydra ecu, I was thinking of the tuning developments turbo for ease as it means I get the full turbo setup so no need to rebuild etc but they don't give any details on the setup.

There's an american company that have a 19t conversion kit but they also sell a 9 blade turbine wheel which spools up a bit quicker then a standard one. http://www.ardideas.com/TD04-19T-Conversion-Kit-Subaru-_p_2211.html but they say with that kit plus the turbine wheel it actually spools up later which I don't want as I'm not hitting any proper power till 4k the now.

At the minute I'm just doing research, even considering a hybrid with the tf035 to bring spool down instead of going for power. I'll have a look at his build, cheers.

3 hours ago, SpoonalTap said:

I honestly don't know mate, I bought the car of Karl off of here and that's the number I was given from his remapper. 

Don't forget we only get 97 ron fuel over here which makes a slight difference.

i know another fella over here made around 260 at 1.5 bar standard td04

18 hours ago, daniel_g said:

I sent my td04 to midland turbo to have a billet comp wheel fitted, a lot cheaper than the cash that TD or Race Tech charge for the 300 td04 hybrids.

I havent got mapped yet so cant put a figure on mine though!

How much did it cost you to get that done?

15 hours ago, adzy said:

Don't forget we only get 97 ron fuel over here which makes a slight difference.

i know another fella over here made around 260 at 1.5 bar standard td04

Seen a few builds making 260 at 1.5 bar, seems the standard td04 runs out of steam about 1.3/1.4 bar but that's just what I've read. I'm new to petrol turbos, only messed with NA petrol and diesel turbos before.

Need to figure out what power the engine is capable of handling, according to the invoices it has 74.5mm wiseco pistons, scat rods, arp headbolts and the usual rebuild parts done by starletturbo.co.uk and momentum motorsport. I'm not gonna sink loads of cash into it so don't want any problems with the gearbox or reliability, but would like more power.

Have you got a graph print out? see to me at 1.4bar you should be around the 270 280 mark I'd dig more research before changing the turbo if memory serves I have seen a graph before for a 290 on the td04l it's a really good turbo for an all rounder maybe look into another ecu or mapper..

No not got a graph print out but I'm hopefully buying a tuning developments hybrid turbo with zisco manifold so if I do I'll fit that and make my exhaust a bit bigger then get it remapped and hopefully see close to 300.

Anyone recommend a good tuner/remapper near South West Scotland. Glasgow is about an hour away from me and manchester is about 2 hours south.

Back again, wasn't able to get that turbo so was thinking of going to the Vf series of turbos. Found a US company that sells a VF40 and VF46 turbo but with the larger td05 wheel fitted and ported wastegate housing.

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/2414

Doesn't matter, seems to not be the best company.

Although these seem decent turbos

http://bnrsupercars.com/

Edited by SpoonalTap

I'll prolly end up doing something like that karl, I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred quid on refreshing my turbo and hybriding it myself to make a bit more power but I'm not spending close to 600 quid on a TD one for an extra 30 or 40 bhp. I'd rather wait and save up for a really good turbo then it's something I don't need to revisit but there's a few thing I want to sort out on the car first and I want to rebuild the head with uprated valve springs first as well so I'd best start saving.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys!

bought a 94 Gt Turbo ep82 the other week

currently running the stock ct9 with tubular manifold, decat and full stainless exhaust as well as a half ally rad, I've got a 255lph fuel pump going in tomorrow and 430cc injectors ready to go in when I get the td04. My question is can I go and get a decent map on as is when I get the td04 conversion done in accordance with my other mods? I've also done the shortcut air intake and intercooler mod.

thanks!

• 1 month later...