Lads,

I think my GT engine is screwed.

The car started making a knocking sound this morning....checked the oil level and noticed there was hardly any oil in it - school boy error ...I should have been regularly checking this, but I have never known the engine to burn oil.

Topped up with some fresh oil...engine sounded much smoother....however I can still hear the knocking/rattling sound slightly anything about say 2.8k revs on deceleration .

From searching around, I have read that I need to drop the oil and remove the sump.....initially.

I can drop the oil fine....but can anyone tell me how to remove the sump?

If my bottom end has gone, would I better better off having it rebuilt....or just buy a used bottom end?

Cheers

You could inspect the rod bearings etc yourself,the sump is just held on by loads of 10mm bolts. But I'd suggest go get it rebuilt if your not very savvy with engine building and tools. From how you desribe ii ssounds like bottom is toast, so don't drive it. 

Cheers lads. A good friend/member off here who recently rebuilt and forged his own engine, has offered to strip the engine for me and help to get it repaired.

I'm hoping the damage is not too much :(. Am I wrong, or should an oil warning light have come on...if I was running low on oil?

1 hour ago, Devs313 said:

Cheers lads. A good friend/member off here who recently rebuilt and forged his own engine, has offered to strip the engine for me and help to get it repaired.

I'm hoping the damage is not too much :(. Am I wrong, or should an oil warning light have come on...if I was running low on oil?

Yeah an engine light would go on if the oil goes too low. But if the bulbs gone then you wouldn't have noticed.